Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Mud Tires/ whats worked for you guys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
I have 255/85/16 TRXUS Mud Terrains on my 77,,, have had them for about 5 years now,,, GREAT tire,,,,, in SNOW/ICE/MUD and everday driving,,, not loud,,, and are aggressive enough that (knock on wood) I haven't got stuck,,, great in rocks up in the high country,,, I am very happy with them,, and they weren't crazy expensive either.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
BlackOxF150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nemotagger1
what do you mean? im new here and dont really understand the game here dude..
well, welcome to f-t! this is my thread about what tires work best and fitment for my truck- go to the bottom-ish part of the forums page for the for sale, or start your own thread. good luck selling the big white ford.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:17 PM
BlackOxF150
Freshman User
hey pickupmanx2, i looked up truxus tires, they look pretty sharp! i cant believe those things dont SCREAM at speed with that big of lugs! but at my 33x12.5x15 size they want between 230-250 a piece and id like to stay under or right at $200/tire. if interco ever had a tire sale (never happen!) id be all over it though!! thanks for responding though!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackOxF150
southernboy, thats a great looking rig man! 33's really look like they belong on that truck! also how wide are those wheels? are they 10" wide?

does anyone know what minimum rim width is for a 12.5 wide tire?

and 73 ford man i was farting around on pirate 4x4 forums as you suggested and mentioning bfg a/t's got me flamed crazy bad! someone even suggested a mod boot me from the forum!! haha, people must really hate those tires!!
Haha that made me laugh!
Can you Attatch the link so I can read it and have another laugh??

Every wheeler hates a A/T.
Maybe you want a fake swamper
Mud King XT BFGoodrich BFG Reviews

Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
hamr56
New User
I have had these BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A for the last 5 years on my 79 Ford F-250. They seem to wear will and have done me fine on the trail.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Tsoptich
Senior User
I suggest going with either a Yokohama Geolander at/s or Kelly Safari tsr both have good makers on the road but can preform in the snow/mud/rain. Alot of my customers really like the Geolanders 50k warranty about $130 to $200 depending on what size and ply. A d ply in the yokos are rated just under a e ply. Good luck and if your in the north west let me know and I can take care of you.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I'm an "old school" wheeler. I can say for sure don't get Buckshots. They wear about like cheese. A new set only lasted about 3 months of minor driving. On the same truck, the Super Swampers TSL's lasted years. It's my favorite tire. I think for you, all terrains would be best. You don't need an aggressive tire to trail ride or get nutty from time to time. They'll be quiet, wear well, be inexpensive (relatively) and work well in snow and dirt and mud. Driving ability will help out alot off road. A good driver can compensate for a less aggressive tire. I had BFG A/T's on my old Chevy. I didn't get stuck much with it. Of course they were 35's.

*Side note. You want at least a 10" wheel for a 12.5" tire. 12" wheel for a 14.5 tire.

This is just my experience with the dozen or so trucks I've built, and friend's trucks that I had to weld back together every Sunday. (we played pretty hard back then)

Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 PM
EWHOLTZCLAW
Senior User
Heres a picture of my 79 150, Its got cooper ST's on it. They are 35's and i have no lift. i do get a little bit of rub when i turn all the way left or right tho i need to put a small lift on it.

Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Tsoptich
Senior User
I do like the cooper st's not so agressive that you can't hear the engine but they can still sling to mud.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by EWHOLTZCLAW
Heres a picture of my 79 150, Its got cooper ST's on it. They are 35's and i have no lift. i do get a little bit of rub when i turn all the way left or right tho i need to put a small lift on it.
Looks good. A lift will help with rubbing when you flex the truck, but the side to side rub won't go away. This is a problem with these half tons. The tires aren't rubbing on the body, they're rubbing the radius arms on the inside. Adjust the steer stops and it won't rub anymore.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Shop around,,,, 4wheelparts.com and such,,, ntwonline,,,, I couldn't be happier with them,,, I rotate the crap out of them though,,,, most Mud Terrains I have had,, I find they last longer and don't howl if I keep them rotated,,, maybe bout every 2500-3000 ,, bout each oil change
my truck is a daily driver,,, to work and home,,, wood hauler,,, huntin rig,,, with these and 4-Low,,,,and a factory lim-slip I have gone wherever I have wanted to venture,,, I drop em down to 10psi when I get up in the high country during deer/bear season,,, they have YET to dissapoint me!
Also,, look into Hercules Terra Trac AT's I have these on my 02 7.3 4X4 Excursion,,,, and will probly put them on my 96 F350 when it is due,,, they are a SUPERB all around tire,,, obviously not a hard core mudder,,, but for EVERYTHING else they are great.
http://www.herculestire.com/catalogH...erraTracAT.pdf

Interco Super Swamper TrXus Mud Terrain Radial Tires - JCWhitney

Originally Posted by BlackOxF150
hey pickupmanx2, i looked up truxus tires, they look pretty sharp! i cant believe those things dont SCREAM at speed with that big of lugs! but at my 33x12.5x15 size they want between 230-250 a piece and id like to stay under or right at $200/tire. if interco ever had a tire sale (never happen!) id be all over it though!! thanks for responding though!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Daveyj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone ever try the Nitto terra grappler?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Had them on the Excursion,,, got about 20-25k out of them,,,I was happy with them,,,, just didn't get the miles out of them,,,, the Goodyear MTr's I had on it first I got almost 48k out of them,,, and then to only get 23k or so out of the Nitto's,,, not so good,,, their performance was great though!

Originally Posted by Daveyj
Anyone ever try the Nitto terra grappler?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't speak directly to their mud-slingng capabilities as I haven't tried it yet, but I can speak to the road manners of the Toyo M/T's. These tires have every bit the aggressive tread of the BF's, but strangely enough, they don't howl on the highway, and they have really good street manners. I've also heard from a number of the guys at the tire shops that these mud terrains will give you more life than a lot of other makes. I have no idea how that's possible in a mud terrain tire, but that's the rumor.

I've driven the Toyo's on the freeway, and they tracked straight, didn't howl, and I have every expectation that they'd toss the dirt around as well as most any other manufacturer's tire, with the exception of purpose built mud-slingers like the super swampers. The drawback of the super-swampers is that they make a racket, and they don't do well on the road.

I don't know who sells the Toyo's in your neck of the woods, but up in the northwest, the main retailer of them is Les Schwab Tires. I will warn that the Toyo's aren't exactly cheap. I bought five of them for Buford in a 35", and it put me back about $1800.00. I just figured they gave me the best of all possible uses, and they looked good on the truck (Buford is kind of a big baby show truck, so he'll probably not see much mud time any time soon).

For reference, I did find a review of the Toyo's if you, or anyone else, is interested.
Reviews - Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain MT Tire Reviews by Offroaders.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Review Engine Powered by ReviewPost

I'm not saying they're the best tire, but they do seem to meet the criteria of the original poster, and they've served me well so far.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i bought the super swamper TRXUS mud terrain radials for my bronco they are a great tire never got stuck with them ran great on the road with hardly any noise and wore good to not to fast like i thought they would i think i'll be getting another set of these when i buy tires for my crew cab

Quick Reply: Mud Tires/ whats worked for you guys?