6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Another Duramax, Powerstroke & Cummins Tow Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:21 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
I do have to agree on the steering, that is probably the thing I dislike the most about my truck. they should have really speed up the steering box that would have made the truck feel a ton more agile, instead the slow steering ratio makes it just feel like a huge truck.
On my truck, if the steering was any faster, the rough roads might scare me a little. As it is my steering wheel turns all over the place when I hit patched areas on the road. Have to hold on.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,449 Likes on 894 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
Troy

Have you read some of the posts in other forums about the horsepower being king in this comparison? The Ford clearly has more torque. This is totally ignored. My question was serious and not intended to provoke another debate. In the real world, what matters more? Torque or horsepower.
What matters more in the truck world is Torque without a doubt. But let's be clear here and that the engine's torque got to make to to the rear wheels. Although the Ford has more (Advertised)torque at the crank it appears the Duramax/Allison combo is more efficient at putting the engine's torque to the rear wheels which explains the better towing performance. What I question here is did Chevy understate is engine torque or did Ford overstate it's engine torque and someone is lying. Either way the proof is in the pudding and like I told you months ago, the Duramax is not maxed out and don't underestimate it's potential.

By the way, that 10 year track record has a few holes in it. The 2011 is 60% new. They are having widespread DEF issues that span a much wider geography and include more temperate climates. The trucks don't just set a CEL, they go into limp mode.
Yes the Duramax platform has had a few issues in the past and present, but when compared to Fords history (ie. three engine platforms since the Duramax launch, lawsuits like crazy, divorcing it's engine supplier with numerous lawsuits again etc... etc...) Who really has the better track record... That's another story!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Med Sun
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

That is my concern with Ford, however, I am ponying up. The d-max has something about it that I love, however the rest of the truck is less desireing. Hard for me to the switch. I have a great relationship with My local GMC dealer and they have always treated me right. Not to mention that my current D-max has been perfect. Time will tell.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
In the real world, what matters more? Torque or horsepower.
Torque is more important for getting the load moving, HP is more important for "at speed" acceleration.

These compare-Ohs are really just fodder for forums and for the uneducated buyer. They have no value in the real world as all the results are so close and the next 2 specimen trucks they test may test differently. You'd be wise to ignore these unscientific tests and simply buy the truck that appeals to you the most. You really can't buy a bad one today.

Last edited by Tom; 02-07-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: fixed quote!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
What matters more in the truck world is Torque without a doubt. But let's be clear here and that the engine's torque got to make to to the rear wheels. Although the Ford has more (Advertised)torque at the crank it appears the Duramax/Allison combo is more efficient at putting the engine's torque to the rear wheels which explains the better towing performance. What I question here is did Chevy understate is engine torque or did Ford overstate it's engine torque and someone is lying. Either way the proof is in the pudding and like I told you months ago, the Duramax is not maxed out and don't underestimate it's potential.

Yes the Duramax platform has had a few issues in the past and present, but when compared to Fords history (ie. three engine platforms since the Duramax launch, lawsuits like crazy, divorcing it's engine supplier with numerous lawsuits again etc... etc...) Who really has the better track record... That's another story!
That is old news. Yes, there were big issues with the Navistar stuff but this a new ball game. The Navistar failures do not transfer to the new 6.7. There is a 100% new Ford and 60% new GM in town and they will both ultimately have to prove their worth.

Your assertion that there is a transmission power transfer problem with the Ford does not measure up on this comparisons dyno runs. Forget the horsepower losses, all three trucks lost 14% of the published torque through the transmissions. I suspect some sandbagging has taken place with the GM. Ford needs to hurry up and get that 430/900 flash out here.

Regards

Old 02-06-2011, 05:08 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Ford needs to hurry up and get that 430/900 flash out here.
Regards
I agree... Ford needs to be atleast prepared since I suspect once Dodge gets their auto tranny beefed up, guess what numbers the cummins will be at; but it can't come with a reduction in fuel economy.

Also I suspect the future price of diesel will spoil all this fun so Ford better be prepared for this aspect also since the day to pay the piper is coming at the diesel pump.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually in these tests they never mention the details such as tire size, gear ratio and weight.

Ford 3:55 gears, tires 275-65-20 which is 34.07 inches tall, and weighs 7900 lbs

Chevy 3:73 gears. tires 265-70-18 which is 32.6 inches tall, and weighs 7500 lbs

Dodge 4:10 gears, tires 265-70-17 which is 31.6 inches tall, and weighs 7640 lbs

It is easy to see that Ford is at a disadvantage right away, it's heavier, has bigger tires and a very high gear ratio but yet isn't really that much slower. Imagine if the Ford had 4:10 gears---look out.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Biggziff
When I have 2 different multi-line dealers (Dodge, etc) tell me to avoid the Dodge there has to be a reason.
there is a reason, albeit not a good one. Both Ford and GM have much higher profit margins in their trucks than the Dodge. Your multi-line dealer would sooner sell you something other then the Dodge to put the most money in their profit. I've had numerous dealers tell me this, each brand of dealer through my purchase research... Both Ford dealer and GM dealer admitted to having much higher profit margins than the Dodge, but were unable to match price with Dodge on equivalently equiped trucks.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
...there is no equivalently equipped Dodge

Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM
urzu007
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
I do have to agree on the steering, that is probably the thing I dislike the most about my truck. they should have really speed up the steering box that would have made the truck feel a ton more agile, instead the slow steering ratio makes it just feel like a huge truck.
The slow steering is there I think because they know people tow with this truck. Backing a trailer up with quick steering can be tricky a nice slow steering is great for controlling the trailers direction. I tow a 24 ft dual axle trailer around with up to 5 tons of wood pellets on it and at time I find myself backing down long curvy driveways to make the delivery and my old F150 had fast steering and I would have to stop pull forward and try again all the time.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I suppose bailout money was not put into the mix!? I like my truck a lot and it's American. I agree that the steering could be better. Overall, the truck looks bad azz and will tow like a ****.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
...there is no equivalently equipped Dodge
Tell that to the pompous wind bags over at RVnet.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
you can do that for me...I can raise plenty of ire over there without trying...

Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User
A good test to show torque is the same track, with more and more weight applied each run of the track. You take a run, add 500 lbs, do another, add 500, do another, add 500, until you get to either one of the trucks rated capacity (if indeed one was lower than another), a predetermined capacity, or max rated capacity (given all trucks have an equal rated towing capacity).

This tpye of race kind of plays out like pulling sleds.

You can run 2 sets of times:
-One with each truck at a given speed
-One with each truck at its rated max torque.

So now you have one variable which is weight, and then a performance graph of each truck and its times at a given speed and at max rated torque.

You then take the average times of each truck over the multiple track runs and see which one kept closer times.

If one started slowing down more and more compared to other (times were wider apart), it was not capable of either keeping speed or towing the weight.

If one did the track at 55 empty and did it in the same time at rated capacity, then obviously the torque is greater than the others.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
I think that the best part of the matchup was that the Ford and Chevy were so comparable in 'numbers' (hp, tq, weight)......making this about as even a matchup as could be hoped for....

The duramax mated to an allison is hard to beat.

Quick Reply: Another Duramax, Powerstroke & Cummins Tow Test