6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Another Duramax, Powerstroke & Cummins Tow Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
Another Duramax, Powerstroke & Cummins Tow Test

And not surprising the Duramax comes out on top as the towing champ.

Enjoy...

2011 Heavy-Duty Truck Comparison Test

Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're all way more than most of us need, but I can't get past the looks of the Chevy and I won't even consider a Dodge. When I have 2 different multi-line dealers (Dodge, etc) tell me to avoid the Dodge there has to be a reason.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM
bassdude
Elder User
that was almost all subjective. 8 seconds difference on 11.5 miles up hill? meh.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Gee,,,that makes me really hate my Truck...

.... oh wait......one more.....

Shane

Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Med Sun
Freshman User
GMC is a Great truck I own a Duramax, but I am buying a ford this time. I like them better, however I hope their powertrain proves itself.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bassdude
that was almost all subjective. 8 seconds difference on 11.5 miles up hill? meh.
I want to know what the times would be if the trucks max. speed was 65mph?
They also don't tell you exactly how long each truck was at full throttle.
It's also funny that in each of these "tests" they don't dare have a heavy
towing/hauling mileage comparison. I can only wonder why???
It sounds like they picked the best speed for the government motors truck. IMHO

Old 02-06-2011, 12:38 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not casting the doubt on this test like I did with the Chevy commercial known as the "Rumble". This test validated my position that altitude was the real and only factor in the Rumble. I do find the wording of the test criteria confusing. I am not sure if they used full throttle all the way up or were pedaling it to stay at the speed limit. The 1/4 mile times on the Ford were the slowest I have seen to date. In the long uphill pull, 8 seconds slower in just under 12 minutes is about 1%. There is likely more difference than that in individual trucks. With all that said, this was a 400/800 Ford and it came up short. I did not buy my truck to be first anywhere and would not trade it for a faster GM. It would be nice though if Ford would get us up front...

I would like the power engineering types to help me with this question. If horsepower is a calculated derivative of torque and rpm, why is it that the horsepower number is what everybody like's to hang their GM hat on? Not trying to find an excuse, I really would like to hear a solid science answer.

Regards

Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
I am not casting the doubt on this test like I did with the Chevy commercial known as the "Rumble". This test validated my position that altitude was the real and only factor in the Rumble. I do find the wording of the test criteria confusing. I am not sure if they used full throttle all the way up or were pedaling it to stay at the speed limit. The 1/4 mile times on the Ford were the slowest I have seen to date. In the long uphill pull, 8 seconds slower in just under 12 minutes is about 1%. There is likely more difference than that in individual trucks. With all that said, this was a 400/800 Ford and it came up short. I did not buy my truck to be first anywhere and would not trade it for a faster GM. It would be nice though if Ford would get us up front...

I would like the power engineering types to help me with this question. If horsepower is a calculated derivative of torque and rpm, why is it that the horsepower number is what everybody like's to hang their GM hat on? Not trying to find an excuse, I really would like to hear a solid science answer.

Regards
GM is not hanging their hat on horsepower but is hanging their hat on the fact that the Duramax is been out for 10 years and has a proven track record; whereas the new Powerstroke is brand new with a very little track record.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
Now if Ford couldn't tow the load, I'd be worried, But 8 sec difference isn't anything to worry about.

both of these trucks are well built and tow well. Buy the one that you like. I prefer the Ford. And as long as GM and Dodge keep making better trucks, Ford will keep on improving the brand I like. Comparisions like there are like going to a horse show. Never is everybody happy with the judges results.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Med Sun
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Now if Ford couldn't tow the load, I'd be worried, But 8 sec difference isn't anything to worry about.

both of these trucks are well built and tow well. Buy the one that you like. I prefer the Ford. And as long as GM and Dodge keep making better trucks, Ford will keep on improving the brand I like. Comparisions like there are like going to a horse show. Never is everybody happy with the judges results.
AGREED!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:19 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

They mention several times that, the Ford is several hundred pounds heavier, hum, a heavy truck, what a novelty....How was the weight on the GMC reduced, lighter frame, maybe not as strong or durable......just sayin.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:26 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
GM is not hanging their hat on horsepower but is hanging their hat on the fact that the Duramax is been out for 10 years and has a proven track record; whereas the new Powerstroke is brand new with a very little track record.
Troy

Have you read some of the posts in other forums about the horsepower being king in this comparison? The Ford clearly has more torque. This is totally ignored. My question was serious and not intended to provoke another debate. In the real world, what matters more? Torque or horsepower.

By the way, that 10 year track record has a few holes in it. The 2011 is 60% new. They are having widespread DEF issues that span a much wider geography and include more temperate climates. The trucks don't just set a CEL, they go into limp mode.

Regards

Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Not that I want to defend GM but you (anyone, not you directly) can't really count the DEF into their 10 year category. Shouldn't Ford and GM be about even on their DEF adventure?

Anyways to the article, 8 seconds. Boo hoo.
That's 8 seconds more I got to enjoy the scenery driving my heavier, good looking Ford truck. That GMC...well, if we go on looks alone (all I can talk about, never owned one), I can't stand it.

I live down south so the elevation issue that others have discussed doesn't exist.
For those of you up north I'm sure that is an honest concern for the Ford's but I bet you they'll have it figured out on the 2012MY or whenever they start a new build 1.

If this 6.7L last 10 years well then Ford figured it out on their first try!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:08 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
I do have to agree on the steering, that is probably the thing I dislike the most about my truck. they should have really speed up the steering box that would have made the truck feel a ton more agile, instead the slow steering ratio makes it just feel like a huge truck.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:19 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kper05
Not that I want to defend GM but you (anyone, not you directly) can't really count the DEF into their 10 year category. Shouldn't Ford and GM be about even on their DEF adventure?

Anyways to the article, 8 seconds. Boo hoo.
That's 8 seconds more I got to enjoy the scenery driving my heavier, good looking Ford truck. That GMC...well, if we go on looks alone (all I can talk about, never owned one), I can't stand it.

I live down south so the elevation issue that others have discussed doesn't exist.
For those of you up north I'm sure that is an honest concern for the Ford's but I bet you they'll have it figured out on the 2012MY or whenever they start a new build 1.

If this 6.7L last 10 years well then Ford figured it out on their first try!
I was not lumping the GM DEF issue in with their 10 year track record. I was referencing it to the fact that the 60% new engine is not the same as the the old engine. While not an infant, it is proving to be a toddler at best. The Ford DEF issue, extremely small in numbers and isolated to the very far north, is a nuisance CEL. The GM's problem is much more widespread, not limited in geographical scope and places the truck in limp mode. I would not consider the problems to be equal.

I have 22000 miles on my truck and drive it daily. It has been a long cold 2 months. It has performed perfectly in temps down to -5 F. I am not at all concerned with the Ford DEF system.

They are both great trucks but I am keeping my Ford.

Regards

Quick Reply: Another Duramax, Powerstroke & Cummins Tow Test