Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Carpet to Rubber Floor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carpet to Rubber Floor Swap

I'm toying with the idea of swapping out my carpet floor with a commercial carpet pad (acousic purpose) topped with rubber-roofing or some other type of rubber floor. I know fitting into the dips and what not is an issue, and there will be some creases and difficult cuts to make, so here I am asking for advice from anyone who has does this or tried any custom floor cover. I live in Cape Cod, so during the winter I deal with snow/slush and nasty boots, and beach sand in the summer. An easy wash down would be ideal.

Before anyone says it, I know weathertech and other floor mats are great for my application, but they are generic and too easy to put in so they are out of the question.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Why not just get a rubber floor set from Ford?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Why not just get a rubber floor set from Ford?
Elaborate please. Do these replace or cover the carpet? Any sound properties?? Also, the most important factor.....how much do these cost (FROM FORD makes me worry...) I could do the rubber myself for the price of $0.00, it wont look as purdy but I DGaS.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I found this, I had no luck finding it at the Ford dealer sites. I would like to do the swap myself. I had the factory rubber floor in my F250, and it was a breeze to keep clean.
I would much rather have the molded rubber than try to wrestle with it.
Custom Molded Replacement Vinyl Floor by Trim Parts at StylinTrucks.com

Not a bad price...I'm sure Ford will want 3x that

Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Regular Cab, by the way....I see though, I know how much of a pain it is to get a good tight fit on all the curves, etc so I've also toyed with the idea of doing my best to flatten out the floor and eliminate some of the curves. Again, this is at the conceptual stage at this point so I'm really just brainstorming and looking for some advice (but really just someone who has done it themselves to give me a vote of confidence.)

Last edited by Rose Clifford; 02-03-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: 'tard
Old 02-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
$200 for the Crew Cab molded replacement....I can think of a lot of other places to put $200 on my truck (other than the FLOOR)
They don't have one for the regular cab...

i'm pretty set on doing it myself anyway, i like the satisfaction and personal touch. i'm also pretty picky/meticulous so i dont mind tinkering with the ******* all day. i think theres going to be a lot of heat gunning rubber roof mat'l in a few weeks...

hopefully you all can benefit from my questionable ideas in the years to come

Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Perhaps DIY truck bedliner? Junkyard factory vinyl floor?

I'm thinkin' $200 ain't so bad - but I'm just trying to imagine the abortion you're describing!! Lol.

I LOVE the factory vinyl floors in my F350. I wish I could have them in my Excursion. Actually, I bet that was an option for 'service vehicles' wasn't it?? I'll ask in the Excursion forum...

Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
firestroker8706
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Perhaps DIY truck bedliner? Junkyard factory vinyl floor?

I'm thinkin' $200 ain't so bad - but I'm just trying to imagine the abortion you're describing!! Lol.

I LOVE the factory vinyl floors in my F350. I wish I could have them in my Excursion. Actually, I bet that was an option for 'service vehicles' wasn't it?? I'll ask in the Excursion forum...
I feel like I've seen a post of someone doing that. Maybe summer last year? I personally think that would be the easiest way to go. No messing with fitting the form of the truck and such. Just make sure you get a good quality liner, not like the one i put in the bed of my truck. you get whatcha pay for.......

Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Oh yeah, when we buy OEM/Ford stuff - we get it from www.partsguyed.com for a fraction of stealership prices (and because Ed is a swell guy! He takes good care of us.)

While I'm at it, if ya need o-rings for the HPO system or those vibra-loc sleeves that are on the factory fuel lines go to Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines - again, MUCH cheaper than stealer.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by firestroker8706
I feel like I've seen a post of someone doing that. Maybe summer last year? I personally think that would be the easiest way to go. No messing with fitting the form of the truck and such. Just make sure you get a good quality liner, not like the one i put in the bed of my truck. you get whatcha pay for.......
I used Duplicolor bedliner on most of the floor of my Toyota rockcrawler. Its still FINE more than 10yrs later. However, I put some on a bumper - and the UV/sun ATE IT UP. Just like any coating, 90% of failures are due to poor surface prep (not saying thats what happened to yours...) - so read the directions and take your TIME.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i ordered my truck it came with carpet factory i wanted a rubber mat . they thought i was crazy but deleated my carpet and added a rubber mat . i also said i dont want the auto hubs give me manual ones. and i want a shifter for my transfer case . you guys know why right! anyway i just ordered a replacement mat because i know when i need it it will be discountinued . most of the reproduction ones i replace the older trucks are ok but not the same as oem. i would get one while you still can if you want to change it.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 429 f-100
when i ordered my truck it came with carpet factory i wanted a rubber mat . they thought i was crazy but deleated my carpet and added a rubber mat . i also said i dont want the auto hubs give me manual ones. and i want a shifter for my transfer case . you guys know why right! anyway i just ordered a replacement mat because i know when i need it it will be discountinued . most of the reproduction ones i replace the older trucks are ok but not the same as oem. i would get one while you still can if you want to change it.
thanks for the info, you know how much they cost?

Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are Truck bed coatings that have sound deadening capabilities too, lizard skin is one that come to mind. LizardSkin - SummitRacing.com

Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by Rose Clifford
$200 for the Crew Cab molded replacement....I can think of a lot of other places to put $200 on my truck (other than the FLOOR)
They don't have one for the regular cab...

i'm pretty set on doing it myself anyway, i like the satisfaction and personal touch. i'm also pretty picky/meticulous so i dont mind tinkering with the ******* all day. i think theres going to be a lot of heat gunning rubber roof mat'l in a few weeks...

hopefully you all can benefit from my questionable ideas in the years to come
rubber roofing ain't cheap either.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
firestroker8706
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I used Duplicolor bedliner on most of the floor of my Toyota rockcrawler. Its still FINE more than 10yrs later. However, I put some on a bumper - and the UV/sun ATE IT UP. Just like any coating, 90% of failures are due to poor surface prep (not saying thats what happened to yours...) - so read the directions and take your TIME.
I actually spent 2 days prepping the bed. I had a friend mechanic help me with it too. Sadly I skimped on buying a good product, and it started coming off in 6 months. My friend warned me not to buy the one I did(And I don't remember what it even was now.) but I was in a hurry and didn't wait to get a little bit more money to buy a better one. That's not going to happen ever again. Lesson learned.

Oh, and sorry for the hijack.

Quick Reply: Carpet to Rubber Floor Swap