6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

It's Official

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's Official

I signed for the new RV yesterday and should have it home by next weekend. With the ice storm we're having right now I didn't think it was wise to drag it home today plus they have to replace the decal on the front so it was easier to leave it there. They offered to meet me half way to make delivery a bit easier.

Not sure what happened to the decal on the front but it was slightly peeling up in a few places and they offered to replace it before I complained about it so that was nice. Otherwise there nothing wrong with it that I could find. Everything looks and works great.

There was a slight mishap while doing the walk around though. They had it in the shop (there wasn't much room with the slides out to walk around) for us to inspect it and go through everything. They ran water through it to check for leaks and such. Well, as we were finishing up the outside inspection my 7 yr old son was with me and apparently he didn't see the bottom of the bedroom slide was about the same height as his head. He walked right into it putting a nice size hole in his head with the corner of the slide. Of course the bathroom was 200 ft away so there was a blood trail the entire way there. I didn't know a kid could bleed that much and stay alive. It looked like someone slaughtered a cow with the amount of blood all over. Poor guy was a trooper though, didn't cry but he sure was pissed. Lucky it didn't require stitches and the bleeding stopped after 20-30 mins holding pressure on the wound. We spent the rest of the day in blood covered clothes/shoes as we didn't bring extra and were 150 miles from home. Made an exciting day none the less and people really stare at you funny when you have blood all over your pants/shoes. I didn't think about it at the time but I should have taken pics of everything.

Needless to say my boy doesn't want to go camping now, at least not today. I'm sure he'll change his mind once it gets warmer outside and his head doesn't hurt.

First thing getting ordered for the camper is the rubber slide out bumper cover pad things. I'm honestly shocked the salesmen at the RV dealership didn't just give me some considering what had happened to my boy AND we hadn't signed for the RV yet...but no, he decided to show me that they sell them and what they look like. $4.99 for a 4 pack and he couldn't cover that, granted it would have taken 2 packs since there's 3 slides but still. $10 is nothing compared to my kids head, right? I decided not to purchase them there as I'll give my money to a more deserving store.

Here's a link to the one we went with. I think it will work out nicely.

Cougar High Country Click on Travel Trailers then 321RES

Any advice/info for a new RV owner is greatly appreciated!

Andrew

Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Great story...won't be camping if there weren't any war wounds.

Get a notebook or something and start a log. Keep it in the trailer.
Purchase date
Places camping
Eventful things
Miles RT.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the new camper Andrew. I hope your boy is feeling better. I can't believe the sales puke didn't give the corner covers to you.

She's sweet, I like the floor plan, lots of room!
Time to give the truck a little work out.

Advice: WalMart is your best friend.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew010
Any advice/info for a new RV owner is greatly appreciated!
Thrift stores will be your friend when looking to stock that beast unless you don't mind shelling out $$$ at the RV store.

Also, per your sig and the mods listed on your SD...be aware that modding, even a new, RV can be just as if not more addicting and $$$. Lots of websites with info on personalizing/moding your trailer.

Ask me how I know

Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow, congrats, good looking RV. If that were my dealership I'd be giving you lots of stuff at a DEEP discount (and those rubber things for free) in an effort to make you happy and keep you from consulting an attorney.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Very nice....

Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations!!! Nice, nice, nice. Identical floor plan we had in a previous Montana 5er. Also made by KEYSTONE. We loved the living room area. Only diff I see is we had recliners on the left side. Very spacious feeling with the two living room slides. Also, the kitchen is easily accessible when popping in for a cold one, and while traveling, as opposed to being in the rear of the unit.

As for the head bangin thing, yea, those moments take the fun out of life for a while. I have clobbered my noggin on my bedroom slider on my 5er. And on the king pin too. Pretty much inevitable sooner or later. HINT: be extra careful if you wear a cap or hat. The bill on the cap does a pretty good job of hiding things above eye level.

X2 on the avoid buying from an RV store.

Did you go with the WD hitch?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,564 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Very nice Andrew, Congratulations !! I second what Ron said about wearing a baseball hat, I banged my head on a slide out hard enough to draw blood from wearing a hat. I went down and bought a couple of the swim floaty things, they kind of look like a Styrofoam tube. I then cut them into two and split them to slide over the edge of the slide out, they hang low enough that even wearing a hat I can see them.

Again nice trailer.

Cheers

Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Javi1
Senior User
Nice trailer, congratulations

Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by marchare011
Congratulations!!! Nice, nice, nice. Identical floor plan we had in a previous Montana 5er. Also made by KEYSTONE. We loved the living room area. Only diff I see is we had recliners on the left side. Very spacious feeling with the two living room slides. Also, the kitchen is easily accessible when popping in for a cold one, and while traveling, as opposed to being in the rear of the unit.

As for the head bangin thing, yea, those moments take the fun out of life for a while. I have clobbered my noggin on my bedroom slider on my 5er. And on the king pin too. Pretty much inevitable sooner or later. HINT: be extra careful if you wear a cap or hat. The bill on the cap does a pretty good job of hiding things above eye level.

X2 on the avoid buying from an RV store.

Did you go with the WD hitch?

No WD, at least not yet. Figure I'll see how it pulls when I pick it up and go from there. I may end up getting one in the future but I think I should make sure the kids actually like camping before spending $800+ on a hitch. 99% of the camping we'll do will be close by as well.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Thanks for all the comments guys! I hope the kids have a great time and we go camping alot this summer.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew010
Thanks for all the comments guys! I hope the kids have a great time and we go camping alot this summer.
Economical way to go on vacation with the fam as well. Couple years ago we (6 of us) when to see the last shuttle launch and disney world 4 day hoppers.

Entire trip was less than 2K.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Better get a WD hitch. With torsion sway control. Reese is what I use.

Winds,semi's and swerving to avoid objects in the road is not a good thing.

Here is my setup.....

My old truck....but you get the idea.
It's a Reese dual cam setup.

Be safe.

Shane

Old 01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
Congrats buddy...

Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Wrighton
Mountain Pass
Nice trailer you'll like the Cougar model. We had a 2007 Cougar 24 ft and it was trouble free for 5 years. Upgraded to a 2012 36' Montana 5th Wheel last summer plus a 2012 F350 6.7 to pull the beast. Just to say, that salesman should have thrown in the corner pads without even thinking about it.
Did they give you any discounts ( dealer cost ) for accessories? I believe the Keystone Cougar is still the number 1 rated travel trailer in 2012 and their Montana 5th wheels are rated very high as well. Happy camping!

Quick Reply: It's Official