6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2010 King Ranch 6,400 mi found on road dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 PM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 King Ranch 6,400 mi found on road dead

Well today I was driving home from getting one of my quads dynoed in Reno and all the sudden my truck just shut off at about 65 mph on the highway. I barely was able to get to the shoulder without getting hit. The computer said I had 35 miles until empty and I was waitin for a turn off but didn't make it there.

To make a nightmare of long story short, after having roadside assistance bring fuel, because I wanted to make sure the computer wasn't messing up and I wasn't out of fuel, it still wouldn't start. Ford said even if it did run out of fuel, just crank and it should start. Still no start......And the Wrench symbol was on the dash.....

About two hours later a tow finally comes and gets me. Now keep in mind I have a 12 ft trailer with a quad on it and I have no way to get the trailer back to my house because the tow will only take me to the nearest Ford Dealership. There was no way I was going to leave my custom R1 Raptor on the side of the road. So I had to have a buddy come with his truck to get me from the dealership or I would have had to pay about $180 more to take my trailer to my house which was about 20 miles farther than the dealership.

Ford would only cover taking a trailer for up to $200....Thank the Lord I didn't have my toy hauler and family with me out in the middle of nowhere because I would have been SCREWED! Anyway I am tired and exhausted from a nighmare of a day........I can't believe a 60K plus Ford F-250 King Ranch would crap out a less than 6,500mi...UNBELIEVEABLE! I did feel a lot better when I got to the dealership and they said "sorry for the inconvienience"......Not

I am convinced that these are just not good motors! I am supposed to go to the dunes for President's Weekend, and now I will be so paranoid that I will be stranded on the 10 hour drive to Dumont that I don't even know if I can do it! Imagine being stranded with a toy hauler three quads and your whole family. UNSAT....

Grey

Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Letting it get that low on fuel isnt a good idea. These motors are fine if treated well.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by longview1
Letting it get that low on fuel isnt a good idea. These motors are fine if treated well.
I agree....i have had my truck show 30 miles to empty, but then less then a mile it went down to 5 then to 0....even though i had a 1/4 tank....dont take a chance....luckily my prob ended up being a bad fuel sender, it ended up showing --- on the display with a gas pump next to it. Warranty covered. I have had my truck almost 4 years and have 19,300 miles....never let me down.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 PM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
Originally Posted by longview1
Are you telling me that letting my fuel get to 35 miles until empty is mistreating it? I had the truck serviced at 5k....it has 6,400mi now, I know how to treat automobiles well. I didn't see anywhere in the manual where it said "35 miles til empty, and a 1/8th of a tank of fuel really means get fuel now......You are about to break down........And even still, the manual says one gallon of fuel will make it start. I put in 5 gallons. This is not a out of fuel issue anyway, the truck just flat broke down. If you are such a Ford fan that you are blinded to see these motors suck, go for it. Sometimes when the baby is ugly, the baby is ugly.

Grey

Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think breaking down with a new truck sucks! But it happens to every single motor ever made, there has never been one that did not have an early failure. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be unhappy about it though.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 PM
whitre
Junior User
I have a 2010 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4 CC. Bought new in July 5th. Now I have over 29,000 miles and it never let me down! I never let the fuel to run low. When you run low on fuel it is very hard on fuel pump.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

I always run my truck full to empty, every tank. Had an original injector make it 250k km's and I'm in a 6.0. Then I switched them all out cause a few were getting rough in the winter.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 PM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
I think breaking down with a new truck sucks! But it happens to every single motor ever made, there has never been one that did not have an early failure. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be unhappy about it though.
I agree, but this was really early. Maybe after I wake up tomorrow i won't be so upset. Just searching through these threads of horror stories doesn't help much either. What do I have to look forward to? A blown radiator while towing with my family on President's weekend? Maybe a melted piston?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

I don't know, my dads 6.4 was pretty solid, 3 rads early but that problem went away. No melted pistons and never left him stranded in about 156k km's before it was sent back to Ford when the lease was up. Did the motor make any strange noises or was it straight up shut off and thats it, no warnings on the dash or anything?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Hey Grey, I wasnt meaning to rub it in, and yes id be pretty upset too in your situation.
Its just a habbit that I try not to get below 1/8 tank (as its known to be hard on fuel pumps and who knows what for crud in tank) in either of my cars, i own a chevy (corvette) along with my Ford. This is my first diesel and I am happy with this motor thus far.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:22 AM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
I don't know, my dads 6.4 was pretty solid, 3 rads early but that problem went away. No melted pistons and never left him stranded in about 156k km's before it was sent back to Ford when the lease was up. Did the motor make any strange noises or was it straight up shut off and thats it, no warnings on the dash or anything?

It just died, then the Wrench symbol was on the dash.........

Old 02-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Originally Posted by GreyRanch
And even still, the manual says one gallon of gas will make it start. I put in 5 gallons. This is not a out of gas issue anyway, Grey
If you're putting gas in a diesel it's no wonder you have problems. Sorry, couldn't resist.

All kidding aside, the only thing these engines suck is diesel fuel. I can't say mine is without glitches in 68,000 miles, but it has never let me down. Furthermore, any problems I've had have been taken care of expediently by my dealer and Ford. It is a good solid engine.

Any manmade item is subject to all the frailty of our human condition. I bought a new combine in 1996. I watched it being built and tested. The tour guide asked the tester to take special care of it because it was to be mine. It didn't make it off the dealer's apron before blowing an o-ring and thoroughly soaking itself and the technician, who was doing predelivery service, with hydraulic oil. Did that make all 2188 CaseIH combines lemons? Of course not! What it made was a mess because four capscrews were not torqued properly.

And finally, why worry about tomorrow? By worrying about it, can you change one thing about it? Does not/did not today have enough worries of it's own? I know it's very upsetting, but if the only problem you have is a dead truck, you do not have any problems. We're in a stupid war because we forget about David and Goliath and whom it really is that gives peace and real Shalom! People are homeless and freezing in America. People are jobless. A mother in Florida shot and killed her two teenage children. A four year old just died from bacterial meningitis this week! These are just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sorry about your troubles, but I don't have to look very far to realize our troubles are light and momentary. "Oh the air that I breathe, God's just lending to me . . . and He could take it away."

Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Bounds-Electric
FORD USER

Originally Posted by GreyRanch
Are you telling me that letting my fuel get to 35 miles until empty is mistreating it? I had the truck serviced at 5k....it has 6,400mi now, I know how to treat automobiles well. I didn't see anywhere in the manual where it said "35 miles til empty, and a 1/8th of a tank of fuel really means get fuel now......You are about to break down........And even still, the manual says one gallon of gas will make it start. I put in 5 gallons. This is not a out of gas issue anyway, the truck just flat broke down. If you are such a Ford fan that you are blinded to see these motors suck, go for it. Sometimes when the baby is ugly, the baby is ugly.

Grey
109,000+ MILES NO MAJOR PROBLEMS!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Good Sam Road side assistance...that is what I have. When pulling my 5er..they would send to tow trucks, take me to camp site or whatever.

Something tells me it is more that just a no fuel situation here. You should have had a reduced power state before you were out of fuel.

Running out of fuel also means that your hpfp is not getting lubricated so try not to run it down quite so far as to run it empty. I don't think you did.

This sounds EGR related to me. Could be a EGT temp sensor but it sounds like it had enough time to cool off waiting on fuel and stuff.

EGR/EGR electronics.

There is a way to start it if you really had to.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
35 miles to empty isn't abusing anything, something went wrong here.

There are LOTS of people out there who are very satisfied with their 6.4L trucks. This includes a good number of folks who have over 100,000 miles on them now. To say that these just aren't good motors is assuming the worst from a VERY small percentage of 6.4L owners.

I can't say too much, but in 15,000 miles of it's short, traumatic life my '08 gave me no trouble from the engine.

Quick Reply: 2010 King Ranch 6,400 mi found on road dead