1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 truck with 4.6 modular motor-IT'S ALIVE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll try and answer any question. If you've got something specific, fire away

Old 08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Mgodsy
Freshman User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outstanding metal work! I'm about to put the 5.0 coyote in my 56. I'm told the 4.6 is the same type block. What were your pain points you had to get the motor mounted. Do you have an independent suspension with power steering. If so, were there any clearance problems.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Coyote! Man that's gonna be sick! This truck has a 79-81 Camaro front clip. I took the frame mounts from the Mark VIII and welded to the Camaro clip. The engine was a little tight in spots, but no big problems. I used exhaust manifolds from and '03 Cobra which fit really nice.

Here's some pics.

Engine with truck 390

Donor car

Engine puller

Mark VIII mounts welded to Camaro clip

Cobra exhaust manifolds

Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Today was a busy day! I tore apart P/O rig job on the bed. It wasn't pretty.

Had a junk piece of diamondplate welded in for the floor.

Here's what the diamondplate was hiding.

Look's better to me with this hideous stuff removed.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Mgodsy
Freshman User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, please keep us updated on the build. Your doing what I wish I had the talent to do. Instead I find myself paying someone else to do the real work.

I have to get me one of those fancy engine puller you got there

Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a great build thread! I like it! Keep 'em commin!

I can relate with you on the time spent workin on everyone elses' stuff. Just as I get started on on of mine, i take in a side job and it get pushed out. The '56 stared as a side job for my pops but that changed and it's my project now so I decided to sideline the side jobs and finally try to get at least ONE done enough to enjoy for once! Hard to turn down the extra work though, since its a big contributor to my hobby!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
gregstith
More Turbo
Thanks guys! I know what ya mean about turning down jobs. I've got an offer to paint a really clean car right now. It would be pretty decent money, and I'm already thinking about what I could be buying for my truck with that money. But I'm feeling really motivated right now and starting next week they are forecasting high temps here in the 70's. Perfect weather to get the frame outside and start blasting.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
More fun work! The previous owner had a 79-81 Camaro front clip welded onto the frame and the front sits higher than I want. Don't want the expense of bags right now so I "Z'd" the frame. ( I guess that's what you could call it). Anyway I dropped it 4" so hopefully that will get it closer to the look I want.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good. What are you doing for the trans mount, motor mounts and front bumper/radiator support?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
I'm using the stock transmission mount. I had to drill new holes.

I have the Mark VIII frame mounts welded in already. I still need to box them in on the back side.

Made a radiator support.

Still haven't decided if I'll go with bumpers or not.

Last edited by gregstith; 09-06-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
I don't want to be a buzz kill but, I am curious and so I will ask:

Will that compensate for the 4" elevation change from the frame to the front crossmember?

Will that lower the engine 4" in the front crossmember or raise the trans 4" or are you splitting the difference and moving each 2"?

Have you dropped the front frame horns 4" also to accomodate the front fender mounts and radiator support?

Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
I don't want to be a buzz kill but, I am curious and so I will ask:

Will that compensate for the 4" elevation change from the frame to the front crossmember? Not sure what you mean here.

Will that lower the engine 4" in the front crossmember or raise the trans 4" or are you splitting the difference and moving each 2"? It won't affect the engine. I needed to lower the transmission tailshaft some anyway. I'll just fab maybe a 2" filler piece on top of trans crossmember.

Have you dropped the front frame horns 4" also to accomodate the front fender mounts and radiator support? No. I have a fiberglass tilt front end. All I have to do is mount the hinge point lower. My basic areas of conern were hood hitting radiator after lowered (I believe I had well over 4" of clearance there), transmssion maybe into the firewall some now (just cut some more .
. .

Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Will that compensate for the 4" elevation change from the frame to the front crossmember? Not sure what you mean here.
Was curious if drilling new holes in the trans mount and where you have the motor mounts welded in would accomodate the 4" difference between the two frame sections if the engine sat level before you modified the frame. Probably moot at this point. The next answer clarified things a bit.

Will that lower the engine 4" in the front crossmember or raise the trans 4" or are you splitting the difference and moving each 2"? It won't affect the engine. I needed to lower the transmission tailshaft some anyway. I'll just fab maybe a 2" filler piece on top of trans crossmember.

Have you dropped the front frame horns 4" also to accomodate the front fender mounts and radiator support? No. I have a fiberglass tilt front end. All I have to do is mount the hinge point lower. My basic areas of conern were hood hitting radiator after lowered (I believe I had well over 4" of clearance there), transmssion maybe into the firewall some now (just cut some more .

A flip front end changes everything. Sounds like you've done your homework. I must have missed the part about the flip front end earlier. Nice looking welds you have there. I wish mine looked like that.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Thanks. Yeah, without the tilt front-end there would be a whole lot more to consider. There still might be something I didn't think about, but it'll probably be a while till I find out. I've got to sandblast & paint the frame and finish more metal work on the cab.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
More progress. I've got everything off of the frame. I degreased it and pressure washed 6 times. Hoping to get it sandblasted tomorrow with paint to follow soon afterward.

Quick Reply: 49 truck with 4.6 modular motor-IT'S ALIVE!!!