1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

A Flea Market Surprise--Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 129 Likes on 56 Posts
A Flea Market Surprise--Radio

Took my kids by the flea market today. I was walking down the aisles looking at all the old tools and trying to decide what I was gonna kick myself over because I didn't buy it when I noticed this old radio sitting on one of the tables and recognized it. The guy wanted 10 bucks. Both ***** work, the pre-set buttons move the dial, and both ***** work properly. If nothing else, I'll put it on the shelf in my shop as decoration. If anybody has restored one of these or knows somebody who can, I'd appreciate any input. I don't think I've ever seen one of those mounting plates required to put it into a truck.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Worth its weight in gold! Heckuva score!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Yeah I didn't think twice. To be honest, I was shocked to just see it laying there on that table between a bunch of old tools . I'd love to have one of those fuse plugs or whatever to see if it's functional at all. I was looking at the shop manual here on page 282. The fuse connector and things like the antenna connector and the antenna trimmer are in different spots. My dad has a 50 Ford coupe. I need to get his shop manual out and look at it. It's got the "FoMoCo" script right on the bottom.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice find for $10. I probably don't have to tell you this, but it's a radio from a 51/52 truck. However, there were adapter brackets available from the dealer to install this radio into a 48-50 truck.

badger_hound has one of these adapter brackets, with the radio I believe, in the parts truck that I helped tow to his house. Perhaps he'd be kind enough and post a picture.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Thanks, I'm glad you did tell me. I knew it was close. You guys amaze me with how much you know about these things.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
adapter plate photo

Good memory Ilya. Here's what I have on hand for photos...

This is the adapter plate with the later model radio like yours Doc:

This is the hole the adapter fits over, I guess it just screws into the factory screw holes in the dash. I haven't tried to pull this assembly apart yet.

Oddly enough, it looks like my aftermarket radio ***** match with Ilya's, although you can't see them well in the picture above. What's the deal there?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Thanks badger-hound. I'll be on the lookout for one of those plates. If you guys know where I can buy one of those fuse connectors, let me know. If you want any more views of this radio, let me know. Man these things are even heavier than I imagined.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
another adapter photo

I forgot about this pic - looked at this truck but didn't buy it.

I don't know if the ***** are stock.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by badger_hound
I forgot about this pic - looked at this truck but didn't buy it.

I don't know if the ***** are stock.
The black dial ***** are not original, at least to my knowledge. The original ***** and cups below are not reproduced. The push buttons are, however. The chrome push buttons are likely from a car radio. Car radios were similar. There was also a Deluxe radio available that had 6 chrome push buttons and a slightly different dial face. I believe that it had Deluxe written on the face in the middle.

This is what a 51/52 stock radio should look like.

I try to buy these radios for parts because some parts are hard to find, like the fuse holder and especially the 3-prong speaker connector. I passed on one over the weekend at a swap meet. It was the Deluxe version with 6 chrome push buttons, and the face and bezel, in perfect shape, with the rest of the radio being garbage. The guy wanted $20, but for some reason I passed on it. Come to think of it, the regular reproduction push buttons cost more than that.

For parts, try these places:

Antique Electronic Supply

Antique Radio Schematics and Capacitors for Tube Radios

Antique Radio Parts & Repairs

Let me know if you find the 3-prong speaker connector.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Thanks Ilya. The pics help. And I'll get down to business here and see what I can find with those links. The hunt is on! I messed around on ebay a little more. A lot of the ads say that those radios fit the 51-52 trucks OR the 49-50 cars. I wonder if Ford didn't realize they had a surplus of radios and decided to use them in the upcoming trucks. I imagine the demand wasn't that great with that being an option in the the trucks.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 AM
fastphil
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice find, Mountaindoc!! Which flea market did you find that thing at....Hazard, London...?? I'm gonna have to get out and check these places for some parts for Old Blue...hehe. Once again...awesome find.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fastphil
Nice find, Mountaindoc!! Which flea market did you find that thing at....Hazard, London...?? I'm gonna have to get out and check these places for some parts for Old Blue...hehe. Once again...awesome find.
Hey. It was at London. At one of the outside tables. First thing like that I've ever found at either place.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Yes, I forgot to mention that the radios were also in 49-50 cars as you've found out.

The actual stock radio for a 48-50 truck was also available in Lincolns, from 46-48, I think. The only major difference was that the bezel was chrome in the Lincolns and painted in the trucks. The other difference, I think, was a slightly different mounting between the Lincoln and the truck.

Bob (bobj49f2) would know for sure as he has the differences noted in a diagram.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 AM
al.lug
Al Lugtenburg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deluxe radio

If it helps, I think this was the Deluxe radio Ilya mentioned. It is a Zenith 8MF980 for 51-52 Ford trucks.

Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Thanks. That one is definitely out of a car, but will fit into the truck. Note the 6 push buttons, different dial face and bezel, as well as the dial ***** and cups.

Quick Reply: A Flea Market Surprise--Radio