Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Misfire: 1,3,4

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 AM
balancingchemistry
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire: 1,3,4

I have been reading through previous posts, though I am pressed for time at the moment. I will do more reading tonight.
It seems there is a major problem that is quite common. I now realize I have just about the exact same issues as many of you.
I too have issues with idle after start up.
My 3.0 v6 (2002, xlt, 4x4) will start, yet on a cold day (so far this whole winter) the motor does not idle well, and usually will quit due to low rpm's within the first minute of cold start.
I did have this exact issue one year ago as well. At that time I took it to A.Zone, and i did end up replacing an air sensor.
Didn't accomplish much.
This is my wife's vehicle, it is not very safe, in addition to, we have a one month old newborn. I would appreciate any help.
A few other notes of importance.
As mentioned in title, upon taking it to A.Zone, they ran the scanner and came up with a misfire pattern.
Also, there is the sound of a type of backfire, but it is not coming from the rear exhaust of the car.
It sounds more of a low decibel popping towards the manifolds.
One more note, a few times when I let the car idle, there is a strong smell of exhaust fumes, but of a slightly different odor.
Thank you for any help.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 AM
fordman400
Senior User
My 05 did the same thing. Gave misfire codes but it was really a bad pcm (engine computer). Get a new pcm installed and programmed. Should get rid of your problems. The sound is the raw gas being ignited in the exhaust manifold since your computer isn't firing the coils. The smell and color is because of the same reason. Raw gas burning in the exhaust and in the cats. Get fixed soon or you will need new cats which are part of the exhaust manifolds pricey. Also winter gas blends suck. Go up to a higher grade fuel in winter.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
balancingchemistry
New User
Could you please explain to me why this only happens in cold weather?
Last Summer I had no issues whatsoever.
(I am no saying your answer is wrong) I need to know the logic.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
fordman400
Senior User
Not sure could be the gas faulty wiring. I know the idle air control valves when they go you notice in cold wheather but that shouldn't cause missfires. I have had to replace my pcm twice now. Each time in the winter time. Since I got the last one from a rebuilder I haven't had any problems for two years now except for bad gas. Hope I was helpful. Just letting you know what happened to me and what I had to do to fix it.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I would check the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. They are actually 'O-rings' more than gaskets. They can get distorted permanently over time, and with colder weather will shrink and allow excess air to leak past, leaning the mixture causing misfire to occur. You can spray carb cleaner or WD-40 around the gasket surfaces with the engine idling to see if the misfires smooth out.
tom

Old 01-27-2011, 03:40 PM
balancingchemistry
New User
It's a curious mystery.
I like mysteries, except when it involves me or my property
So how much did you pay for your PCM.
The one things that intrigues me, is the temperature variations inversely proportional to the idle.
Contraction and Expansion of metal.
I bring this up, mostly because I have had a slightly similar issue with a sports car of mine. The problem was a head gasket. Just minute enough to have idle variations. When it was cold. When it got warm the metal expanded and the idle leveled off.
So, as of now, at cold start I have idle issues, yet in five minutes, once warm, it runs great. Turn off the warm motor, and start it again, no issues.
Cold...What do you think? Worn gaskets possibly.
New gaskets fixed my sports car...
Are your problems completely over with, in totality with the refurbished PCM?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
balancingchemistry
New User
Originally Posted by tomw
I would check the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. They are actually 'O-rings' more than gaskets. They can get distorted permanently over time, and with colder weather will shrink and allow excess air to leak past, leaning the mixture causing misfire to occur. You can spray carb cleaner or WD-40 around the gasket surfaces with the engine idling to see if the misfires smooth out.
tom
Yes good point, I was in the middle of writing the last post, while you posted your thoughts. Which this was my initial thought.
My Escape has 129k on the odometer. A change of gaskets wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
change your plugs if you haven't done so while you got the intake off also the pvc valve.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ark-plugs.html

Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 AM
balancingchemistry
New User
Yes, I will do those both then. I changed the plugs last winter, however I will go ahead and put a new set in. I will also change the valve you are mentioning.
I will let the board know if these approaches worked. I am going to start work on the Escape, Sunday morning. Which reminds me, I need to go see if these parts are kept in stock.
Thanks.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 AM
fordman400
Senior User
All my problems got better with the refurb pcm. Pcm cost $160 and $140 to have dealer install and program to my antitheft. I have 165k miles on my escape never changed intake gaskets. But I do replace my plugs every spring. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
bjmbjm1998
New User
Talking Misfires

Originally Posted by balancingchemistry
Yes, I will do those both then. I changed the plugs last winter, however I will go ahead and put a new set in. I will also change the valve you are mentioning.
I will let the board know if these approaches worked. I am going to start work on the Escape, Sunday morning. Which reminds me, I need to go see if these parts are kept in stock.
Thanks.
The most common problems is the PCM. Have your dealer run you VIN # you may be covered for a new one. Google search will reveal companies repairing PCM's The PCM failure will cause the misfire codes to show up.

Ford had major issues with one Vendor and BAD PCM's.
Good luck to you!!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
balancingchemistry
New User
Fair enough. I will not rule out the PCM, due to the popular vote and experiences with positive results.
I will do the low cost repairs this weekend. If no result, I will go to the PCM.
I sure wish there was just a wrecked one in the salvage yard close by, but I live in a smaller town.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 PM
bjmbjm1998
New User
Fair enough. I will not rule out the PCM, due to the popular vote and experiences with positive results.
I will do the low cost repairs this weekend. If no result, I will go to the PCM.
I sure wish there was just a wrecked one in the salvage yard close by, but I live in a smaller town.
I understand! You might give ebay a try. I would not in my experience with the PCM's use a used one. The newer models have been greatly improved.
Good Luck!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM
balancingchemistry
New User
I replaced the upper and lower intake manifold rubber gaskets, as well as the throttle body to intake manifold gasket. Put in new double platinum spark plugs.
Everything is running smooth.
I don't completely have true faith that the problem is cured however.
I started it this morning, which it idled perfect, the only difference is the ambient temperature.
This morning in Kentucky it is around mid to high 30's, where as the past few days it has felt in the teens.
It is supposed to be much colder tomorrow.
All in all, so far I am pleased with the results; though I will make good in the next few days whether the results stick, since the ambient temperature will be dropping. We are expecting a very severe winter weather advisory starting tomorrow, which would provide for better testing.
-thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 09:17 AM
bjmbjm1998
New User
I replaced the upper and lower intake manifold rubber gaskets, as well as the throttle body to intake manifold gasket. Put in new double platinum spark plugs.
Everything is running smooth.
I don't completely have true faith that the problem is cured however.
I started it this morning, which it idled perfect, the only difference is the ambient temperature.
This morning in Kentucky it is around mid to high 30's, where as the past few days it has felt in the teens.
It is supposed to be much colder tomorrow.
All in all, so far I am pleased with the results; though I will make good in the next few days whether the results stick, since the ambient temperature will be dropping. We are expecting a very severe winter weather advisory starting tomorrow, which would provide for better testing.
-thanks
I understand how you feel.
Hopefully that will cure the issues. Keep me posted. im very curious as to what will solve your problem.

My PCM going bad all at once was a huge concern because it almost left me stranded. (3 cylinders firing in limb home mode) The internet searchs revealed the defective early made 2005's and I was able to pin Ford down and get a new one on there dime.

YOu might also run your VIN number throught a Ford Dealer and see if any TSB's are showing for your problem. They dont charge for this.
Also your Ford dealer advocate may help. You can get his number from a dealer. His job is to keep Ford customers happy.

Ford is making and effort to build brand loyalty again.

Quick Reply: Misfire: 1,3,4