1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What Years Had A BLACK Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
What Years Had A BLACK Interior?

What years had a BLACK interior? My 1985 brochure doesn't list black as an interior color option. Was this a rare color interior color? I am trying to find interior trim moulding pieces (headliner, windshield, and behind the seat plastic moulding) in black, but have had no luck at all finding a truck with a black interior. What years should I be looking for?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 AM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This is what I found:

1980 - Yes
1981 - Yes
1982 - Yes
1983 - Unsure. Interior colors not listed in the catalog I have, but it appears that an XLS trimmed truck shown has a black interior.
1984 - No
1985 - No
1986 - Don't have catalogs for this year. Guess I'll have to hit up the catalog guy next swap.

I go to a JY in Wisconsin and the last time I was there they had two black interior trucks. If the weather is ok this weekend, I'll take a drive out and see if they're still hanging around. Do you need only the top windshield metal moulding or the A-pillar trim as well?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
That would be GREAT Chump!

I need the pillar trim, top windshield moulding, all plastic moulding around the tops of the doors, all plastic trim around the seatbelts that wrap around the rear window, and kick panels/vents.

I am SERIOUS about these pieces, and I am willing to pay good money for a complete set, both sides.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Be aware...

The sun visors, the seatbelt pillar moulding, etc... etc... was sometimes color keyed to the trucks main exterior paint, and not to the interior color.

So if you have a black truck from 1980. It's possible to have black seatbelt pillar moulding, black sun visors etc, with a nutmeg (brown) interior.

If you have a wimbeldon white 1980, it's possible to have, white seatbelt pillar moulding, white sun visors etc, with a nutmeg (brown) interior or any combination thereof...

Black (Code A) was the most rare interior color option, but Spruce (Code R) was a close second.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a black interior.

I had a feeling black was the rarest color. And to think I paid $30 for my entire black interior.

Lariat, you're about a year late. Right after I got all my black interior stuff, there was a guy on Ebay that had black everything for 7th gens, except for the dash and the door panels. Everything that you're looking for, and he let it go for real cheap. IIRC, he was kind of close to you. But I'll keep my eye out for you man.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
If you have a wimbeldon white 1980, it's possible to have, white seatbelt pillar moulding, white sun visors etc, with a nutmeg (brown) interior or any combination thereof...
There was actually a White interior? I have never seen one color keyed in white before, ever. In fact, I have never seen an interior with two different colors like you describe.

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Lariat, you're about a year late. Right after I got all my black interior stuff, there was a guy on Ebay that had black everything for 7th gens, except for the dash and the door panels. Everything that you're looking for, and he let it go for real cheap. IIRC, he was kind of close to you. But I'll keep my eye out for you man.
Man that sucks. Thanks, Fordzilla. I am thinking about maybe getting a junk set of panels, and dying them. That way I can save my red ones in case the look doesn't turn out like I want it to. I wasn't too keen on dying panels before, but I keep hearing good things about SEM interior paint and how well it holds up.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
I've seen a white interior before. It was more of a dirty white. LGWilson's interior is pretty close to white, but not quite.

And SEM is probably the way to go Lariat. I've yet to see another black interior truck in person myself. Red is very common around here. Too bad you already have that.lol.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Greyf100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine's black... black panels, kickers, window trim, visors, and black vinyl floor. I had a black / grey bench but removed for grey buckets

Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Greyf100
mine's black... black panels, kickers, window trim, visors, and black vinyl floor. I had a black / grey bench but removed for grey buckets
The truck I got my interior from had the same exact bench as you, and it was perfect. But by the time I got to the interior, the original bench was long gone and there was some red cloth bench from a 70's Ford in it.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Black (Code A) was the most rare interior color option, but Spruce (Code R) was a close second.
It's strange that black would be the most rare interior color, when black would go with any exterior color.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is factory white with a blue stripe, and all blue interior.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see mention of a spruce interior but not a dark green. The spruce is a lighter green. My whole inside is dark green. I have not seen any others all dark. The ones I see are mixed spruce and dark green or all spruce.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by first today
I see mention of a spruce interior but not a dark green. The spruce is a lighter green. My whole inside is dark green. I have not seen any others all dark. The ones I see are mixed spruce and dark green or all spruce.
A mix of Spruce and dark green sounds like an interesting contrast. What parts of the interior are the lighter Spruce, and what parts are the dark green?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ones I have seen have the lighter spruce along the lower dash. The top pad is dark. The door panels are the lighter color also. The two I saw, one had the lighter color for all the cab trim and the other had all the dark cab trim. Nothing in either were salvageable.

Mine is in very good condition except for a couple of small cracks at the dash speaker and some small divets in my door panels.

I have not seen any of the interior reproduced or offered in the dark green color.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
So both models had the darker dash pad and lighter lower dash and door panels, but one had light Spruce cab trim while the other had dark green cab trim...

Interesting....

What color were the carpet and seats on models with the light Spruce cab trim?

What color were the carpet and seats on models with the dark green cab trim?

Quick Reply: What Years Had A BLACK Interior?