1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gettin 'Er Ready for POR-15

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
AmericanROCKBREAD!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gettin 'Er Ready for POR-15

I've made some good progress lately and wanted to show off and ask for any comments regarding POR-15 application. I've read the materials many times now and will soon be cracking open some paint. Thought I would solicit any comments from those who have already been there for any additional advice. Thanks, Joe

Where I started almost 3 months ago:

Chipping off some road tar:

Wire wheeling:

After:

Collection of almost clean and ready:

Old 01-21-2011, 11:51 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
That looks very clean! almost too clean for POR 15... ???

Actually I don't know from first hand experience but I have heard very good and very bad things about POR 15.

have heard of people using it and then it just peels right of in sheets, then heard from others that its tough as nails..... I think it has to do with the amount of existing rust for the product to adhere to, ie like don't apply it to fresh sandblasted metal or it will not stick??? or maybe it's in the prep, and user didn't use the recommended prewash solution ????
Hopefully someone else can give you better info than me on the POR 15.

I read so much info for and against that product (mostly over on the HAMB) as well as other products until my head started to spin! then I decided for my big ol farm truck just about anything would be better than it's ever been so..... but on my F1 I sprayed chassis black on it and maybe it wasn't very thick but I've got to redo about 3/4 of the frame

Here is what I used on my F6 I powerwashed multiple time and lightly wire wheeled what I could, them powerwashed again, Wiped everything down with I think Acetone or other cleaner (can't remember now) and sprayed it with Lowes Rustoleum rusty metal primer, then top coated with Rustoleum Gloss black (pretty Cheap compared to POR 15 and others). its been out in the weather since I posted this and it still looks good! of course its only been a couple months lol
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ress-slow.html

Good luck and always good to see progress, it's a good feeling

Cheers

Josh

Old 01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
AmericanROCKBREAD!
Senior User
Hey Josh, Thanks for the response.

Yes, POR-15 is a 3 to 4 part system - 1. Clean, 2. Etch, 3. paint with POR-15, 4. apply topcoat. Each of the products sold seperately and not very cheep!

I'm for sure using POR-15 and do understand there's other good stuff too - just made the POR-15 choice.

I'll post my result and how it holds up for me! Thanks Again, Joe

BTW - Josh - your job on your truck looks nice!

Last edited by AmericanROCKBREAD!; 01-21-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Looking good!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
I've painted a couple vette frames years ago with POR-15. Any clean surface needs to be scratched. Your choice of how. It needs some edge to adhear to. Paint each new coat when the previous coat is tacky. If you let it dry between coats you will need to sand it to give the new coat something to stick to. I used a brush and it flowed very good at about 70 degrees tempature. ( I use a 20 ft 2X4, coat hangers to hang all small parts) You need to be organized to paint two/three coats before they harden on you. I used work gloves, as rubber gloves cause sweat to drip on parts. Paint in a open area, don't breath the fumes. If you have a face shield like you use around a drill press, wear it. When painting small parts, drips occur and you don't want it on your face/eyes. Other areas will come off in a couple weeks, if not removed before drying. have fun. chuck