Sponsored by: Moser

76 Ford in America's Toughest Truck Competition

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
thomastedder
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
76 Ford in America's Toughest Truck Competition

A Dodge, a Chevy, and a Ford 4X4 battle for the title of America's toughest truck in the Alaskan wilderness. Pretty cool video.

Top Gear USA S01E09 (Season 1 Episode 9)

Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
82GT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
link don't work, I'm destined not to see this, I caught it live on TV just as the dent failed, so I set tivo up to record it, finally got to check it last night and I guess the cable went out 5 minutes into it, I got one more chance Sunday night to try and check it out, if an asteroid doesn't hit the house....

Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Amazing Post! Thanks Dude!

Challenge #1 - Stopping
Winner: 76 Ford

Comments: AMAZING! A FREAKIN OLD HEAVY FORD BEATS A CHEVY AND A DODGE, AND THE DODGE WAS A 96! Now I'm thankful I bought my truck! I can stop! Lol! When they stopped for gas after four hours of driving. Notice how the ford never had a close-up after hitting the dodge? That's right folks. No damage! EAT IT CHEVY AND DODGE! EAAAAAAT IT!

Challenge #2 - Get to Fish Creek
Winner: Everyone

Comments: Half way to fish creek, who pulls out the Dodge AND Chevy? That's right again! Ford!

Challenge #3 - Touch the glacier between Anchorage and Fish Creek with the truck
Winner: The Chevy

Comments: Sadface . Damn Old Driveshaft on the Ford. Why did it have to break, JUST before the truck got up the hill? Oh well I guess...

I don't really see the harm in driving a toyota pick-up. They're actually really nice if you've ever been in one. Although... we all know it's not american. Again, sadface.

Funny thing is that the dodge died not too far down the road from the Ford. And the Dodge was taller, newer, and had less miles on it.

I don't really think the Chevy deserves a win. The Ford DID pull the chevy off the side of a large hill where it SHOULD HAVE PLUNGED TO ITS DOOM!

IMPO, the Ford was older, more beat up, rusted, pulled both other trucks out, had ZERO power steering, and was orange.

WINNER?!?! FORD!!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
See my other post.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
The Ford had a non-stock bumper on the front of it, not to mention the spot where he hit the Dodge is a soft spot on any vehicle. A plain old tube bumper on any vehicle would have done the same amount of damage to the Dodge.

The Ford did do a good job pulling the other two out of the ruts they were in, but don't forget the Ford had to get pulled out of the river. I was also impressed with how he was able to maneuver the Ford without power steering. On a truck with tires that size it had to have been a challenge. It's a shame the drive shaft snapped so early in the competition. I would have enjoyed seeing the Ford make it further.

I kept thinking the hood on that Chevy was going to finish flying up onto the windshield. LOL! I know where there is a truck just like that one for sale.

Something else I noticed is that they said the Dodge had a 5.7 liter engine in it. I don't think Dodge had reintroduced the Hemi in '96. They were still using the 5.9 liter back then, unless I am mistaken.

I think it would be fun to do what they did, but I'd probly want either a Bronco or a full sized Blazer to do it in, rather than a pick up truck. It would be interesting to see how one of those Quigley 4WD van conversions would handle that terrain too.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM
thomastedder
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
Yes it works.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As soon as I saw the way he was driving up them rocks I was pretty sure the Ford would lose a drive shaft. The rest of the episode was not interesting at all without the Ford in it. But most people know I am very brand biased.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:17 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the guy driving the Ford was most of the issue seems imo he went in the river faster then he should have and driving on the rocks was going like an idiot.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 AM
lamenytro
Senior User
thats was awesome, to bad the driver of the ford was an idiot

Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,781 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Those three guys are fricken morons! I hate that show more and more with each episode.

First off...yeah, lets ram the Dodge causing lots of body damage to it and the Chevy. Don't worry about someone along the lines who WANTS these trucks for parts (or complete) who could use them.

Second...What kind of message are these goons sending to the greenies that want to shut down off-road parks/national forest/public lands?

Third...Of course something is going to break when you are driving uphill through boulders the size of watermelons at 30mph!

Forth...The Dodge died because the Fat A.. kept hitting water holes at 50mph. Im sure the engine slowly hydrolocked, shorted out electrics, filled air box/intake with water, etc...

Fifth...they moved the stopping line up on the Dodge...then you can plainly see he's barely even on the brakes (no tires lock up)...

I hate fake TV...

Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Rico47635
Elder User
I don't think this contest was intended to be a serious one. They just did it for fun and the ratings. That's why they were doing things someone who was in a real contest of that type wouldn't do. They pretty much threw caution to the wind and hammered down no matter what part of the course they were on.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to say, i'm all about saving what's left of any old trucks, make it Ford, Chevy or Dodge!

But really, it made me laugh watching it, sure they acted like idiots, but if someone was to give you 3000$ to go buy a 4x4 truck with big tires.... wouldn't you do the same? I sure as hell would! I don't care what brand it is!

The Chevy I wouldn't have touched for doing stupid things with, simply because it looked in great shape, was a rare smurfside and looked great!

The Dodge, well I hate that model, any Dodge '94 and newer I hate, I only like the older model ones. So I would of gladlly beat the crap out of it.

And the Ford, well, wasn't that great of shape, but wasn't to bad, so I would of had fun with it, but I wouldn't be stupid with it!

I sure did get a good laugh outta Chevy, especially when the hood started bouncing at every bump.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Chevy was a nice model, I looked at a 2wd down the road here for sale the other day just like it.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Redneckryder
Tuned
I have watched that show 3 or 4 times.....they are all idiots. I cringe every time i see them do something stupid to a nice car. One had a 70-something cutlass they rammed with a fiero.

Quick Reply: 76 Ford in America's Toughest Truck Competition