You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
As I stated in an earlier post, I had to put a new engine in my truck. Went to the Ford Dealer today to pick it up. I thought it was to suppose to be a remanufactured engine by Ford, but much to my surprise, it is a reman from LKQ Powertrain. The Service Manager said this is what I had agreed to and probably did. It was a couple of confusing days when I broke down seventy miles from home, pulling a trailer and told I needed a new engine. Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge (good or bad) about LKQ Powertrain remanufactured engines ?
That said, it's likely that you got a good one; and when you buy a quality engine - it's great.
That's why they warranty them for 36-month, 100,000-miles covering parts and labor for the first 50,000 miles and parts only for an additional 50,000 miles (our warranty - lkq is similar)
I don't know a lot about their product, but I'd consider:
1. Quality - find out their defect rate. The last thing you want to do is pull this engine too -- especially if they don't cover labor costs. (for example ours is 1.9% - I recommend it as a benchmark)
2. Warranty (mileage, years, does is cover labor? this is critical)
3. Price - this one is important
- did the dealership mark it up? (most likely) find out the online price from lkq direct. since the warranty is w/ lkq - you really don't benefit from the dealer purchase.
- how are alternatives priced?
all reman engines are not the same -- but you shouldn't pay more than necessary.
just my 2cents.
Last edited by repowertrain; 01-23-2011 at 06:36 PM.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.