Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing away with frt tank.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 AM
AFordMan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing away with frt tank.

I have a 1990 f150 ford pickup how do you bypass or reroute the front fuel tank to the rear tank?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
Just disconnect and plug the fuel lines to the front tank. I made some plugs for my truck to do the same thing... I'll post a pic of them shortly..

Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
AFordMan
Junior User
It's my front tank that has a hole in it. I'm wanting to know how to hook the lines together so I can just use my rear tank.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
No you can't hook the lines together that would short-cut the rear tank back to itself, the only solution is to plug the lines at the fuel tank connectors. Here are the plugs I made, they are simply studs that I cut down to slip inside the connectors, a 5/16" for the supply line and 3/16" for the return. You can see where I ground down the head of the studs.. that is so the stock retaining clips can be used to keep the plug in the fuel line. This worked great and didn't leak.. I used the truck like this for over a year.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM
AFordMan
Junior User
Thanks, I guess it would help if I read the tread you left. I've been in the garage trying a different route. I went to the parts store and got a fuel filter and snapped the two lines together. It was starving for fuel, so I came back in and read your post. I fill like a damn fool because I've been out there working at it now for a couple of hrs. So tomorrow I'll try it your way. Thanks

Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 AM
AFordMan
Junior User
Is there any way to cut the connectors off and plug the fuel line?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
CWPottenger
Senior User
I'm confused on why you need to bypass or plug front tank....

Just don't select the tank, keep switch on back tank only. if fuel is transferring from tank to tank you have a valve failure also...

My 90 F150 has a bad front tank also and has been for couple months now, I just don't use it no issues....

Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by AFordMan
Is there any way to cut the connectors off and plug the fuel line?
Yes you could. Just cut the ends off the fuel filter you bought flush with the end of the filter. Using a double flaring tool bulge the cut end and put a FI fuel hose on the flared end. Then the other end of the hose you could stick a bolt in it. Use two FI hose clamps at each end of the FI hose.

I did something like this to my F53 to install an extra fuel pump around the in tank (pump) FDM to the engine.
I did this in case of emergency and the in tank pump quit on me on the road as it only had one 75 Gal fuel tank.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
2stroke rider7
Junior User
Originally Posted by CWPottenger
I'm confused on why you need to bypass or plug front tank....

Just don't select the tank, keep switch on back tank only. if fuel is transferring from tank to tank you have a valve failure also...

My 90 F150 has a bad front tank also and has been for couple months now, I just don't use it no issues....
The problem is sometimes the fuel tank selector valve messes up and starts dumping fuel from the rear tank into the front tank and if don't use that tank you are loosing gas and plus mine has a hole in the front tank so I loose the fuel. So by blocking off the lines it doesn't have the option to fill the front tank up. Also a lot of times people think they are getting worse gas mileage but really their fuel is being removed from the rear tank to the front tank unsuspectingly.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM
AFordMan
Junior User
Yes the switching valve is bad. The frt tank started leaking fuel so I removed it hoping to fix it, but was just to rusted out to fix. So thats why I'm plugging the lines. Thanks for all the input.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
There is no selector valve on '90+ trucks the fuel lines just have a simply tee connector at the front tank, so if you don't plug the lines it'll just dump fuel on the ground. These plugs are the easiest way to do this, took me all of 2 minutes to make these with a hack saw and grinder.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 AM
court1100f
Elder User
not as clean of an install as Conans talking about, but what I did was take the defective fuel pump put it in a vice and cut the metal fuel pump lines off where the fuel lines go from that top plate with the electrical plug and then into the plastic pump housing, I then removed the return line plastic fitting pushed it over the cut end of the metal fuel line and used a hose clamp on it and the other side which is the pressure line I hooked up to the corresponding nipple it originally ran to effectively looping it which for all intents and purposes makes it towhere it's essentially like it's not even there and allows the rear pump to pressurize and send fuel to the engine without pissing fuel all over the driveway. Truck ran fine this way although I'll probly make some of those bolts Conan talks about at some point.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Here is a diagram of the system:

/

Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
AFordMan
Junior User
I removed the working fuel pump and the filler neck from my 1990 F150. It was in the side tank. If anyone is looking for them, let me know.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:24 PM
CWPottenger
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
There is no selector valve on '90+ trucks the fuel lines just have a simply tee connector at the front tank, so if you don't plug the lines it'll just dump fuel on the ground. These plugs are the easiest way to do this, took me all of 2 minutes to make these with a hack saw and grinder.
Not looked at mine, but if no valve how do tanks stay separated?

Just like to understand.

Quick Reply: Doing away with frt tank.