mercon/mercon V mixed ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 06:39 PM
ruby2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mercon/mercon V mixed ?

Nubie here
After a auto tranie fluid/filter change can one tell if the correct type fluid was used (mercon/mercon V)? It was done at a Dealership, but the receipt shows "PART NUMBER = FMC XT, DESCRIPTION = P/S FLUID, QTY = 6". Power steering fluid I am guessing is mercon? My dipstick shows mercon V, and mercon V= XT-5-QM, mercon = XT-2-QDX. The guy at the Ford dealership is a jerk, and I would like some info first. I am hoping that my transmission will not have problems.

THX
Ruby2

Old 03-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
mercon/mercon V mixed ?

Welcome to FTE! You ask a good question. According to my owners manual, my power steering system requires "Mercon" and my transmission requires "Mercon V". So in my case I wouldn't be very happy to see a service description that says 6 Qts of P/S FLUID (i.e., Mercon) was put in my tranny since I specifically need the Mercon V. You didn't say what kind of truck or tranny you have.

Mercon is different from Mercon V. However, there is an additive which can make Mercon the same as Mercon V. Maybe your dealer used Mercon and then put in the additive? If the dealer used Mercon alone, without the additive, then you don't have the proper fluid right now.

You are doing the right thing by following up on this. If your tranny calls for Mercon V, makes sure that is what gets put in there.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:48 PM
03f150man
Elder User
mercon/mercon V mixed ?

if they mixed mercon into what should be mercon V only, i would drain the tranny and the torque converter (approx 12 to 13 quarts). From the info below i cant tell whether they used the right fluid . From what i have read, mercon V can replace mercon but not vice versa. Post your truck year and how it turns out please. If as you say below the ford contact is a real butt, ask for a refund and go to another shop for a full mercon V (tranny and converter) change. with a $2,500 tranny at stake, i'd err on the side of caution. on the other hand, if rockledge is correct then add the V additive and you are ok. the principal difference between V and regular mercon is the additive but i havent heard ford can add just the additive i.e. i didnt know you can juice up regular mercon to = mercon V. does your shop order show they used any kind of V additive. If not, i would refuse to pay. They didnt follow Fomoco's own spec.

Old 03-06-2003, 09:12 PM
oldfordtrucksrule
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercon/mercon V mixed ?

i'll bet they put the wrong fluid in. go back and ask the service manager. or you could call and ask if you could buy some mercon v and see what they say.then go in and buy a quart and look at the reciept. see if it has a different description. they should have mercon 5 as a different part no and description for inventory. you cant add something to mercon and change it into mercon5. if they put the wrong fluid in they should flush it out. for free. if the service manager gives you a hard time, get ahold of ford and complain. bring in the reciept and show the s.m. i would buy a quart first and then compare reciepts. if they are different, you got em. dont go anywhere else. make ford fix their mistake. i've worked in the service dept. and know this kindof stuff happens. their is a lot of confusion on which fluid to use with the new trucks, but trust the dipstick. good luck

Old 03-06-2003, 10:19 PM
ruby2
New User
Smile mercon/mercon V mixed ?

Sorry, Its a 2000 Explorer, 4x4, SOCH, xlt, dipstick reads mercon V. Had it in for the change, figured that it should have no mismatch of fluids. It's very questionable and sad that the dealer could mess it up. Any other suggestions, and thanks for the help?

Ruby2

Old 03-06-2003, 11:25 PM
oldfordtrucksrule
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercon/mercon V mixed ?

ya, whenever the car makers change something like fluids, you stand a real good chance of this happening anywhere. i hate to think of all the times this happens at independant shops and jiffy lube places. the new explorers dont even have dipsticks. they have a valve on the trans pan that you attach a plug thing to to check the trans fluid. this is stupid in my opinion. if you follow the recomended procedure to check the trans fluid, you have to have a ford scan tool to read the trans temp and when its at a certain temp you thread this special adapter thing into the pan plug and if its overfull, the xtra fluid will run out. but you have to pump in the new fluid with a suction gun or pump if its low and you cant do this very well on the ground so you need a lift, too. so you need about 5000 bucks worth of equipment now to check your trans fluid-if you go by the manual.stupid!! some chebbies have this feature too.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:43 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
mercon/mercon V mixed ?

This subject has been discussed before in this forum. Try doing a search using the keyword "Mercon".

Also, check out this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ghlight=mercon

Old 03-07-2003, 08:06 AM
ruby2
New User
mercon/mercon V mixed ?

Sorry, back to the original questions, 1) can you tell if they have been mixed, sight, touch, smell, etc.? 2) does it look like the proper fluid was used from the
receipt, "PART NUMBER = FMC XT, DESCRIPTION = P/S FLUID, QTY = 6"? The Ford part numbers are mercon V= XT-5-QM, mercon = XT-2-QDX. I know they should not be mixed, I have searched but no answer to question 1. Today I will go to the dealership/parts shop and check "part numbers" Thanks

Old 03-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
mercon/mercon V mixed ?

I personally would never be able to tell the difference between Mercon and Mercon V fluids. They look and smell the same.

Based on the information you have provided my answer would be "NO" you do not have the right fluid in your tranny. Your receipt doesn't show any kind of information that would lead me to think otherwise.

That is why you must investigate further. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2003, 05:14 PM
ruby2
New User
Angry mercon/mercon V mixed ?

So I went to the parts Dept. I hand the guy my work reciept from the trans fluid change and point to the part. "please can I have another quart of that fluid". He comes back with mercon III, now I'm mad. So off to the service dept to talk to the manager. He will gladly "flush and do anything else to make me happy". He also said "its OK to have the two fluids mixed". "nonthing will be hurt". I cant beleave it!! They will do the work on monday.

Again thanks for the help

Ruby2

Old 03-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
mercon/mercon V mixed ?

ruby2,

Good for you! Glad to hear you got it straightened out. You did the right thing following up.

Don't worry about the wrong stuff being in your tranny for such a short period. Once it's flushed out and the Mercon V is pumped in, you'll be all set.

And you could say there's a silver lining in that your tranny ends up being flushed twice, so it ought to be nice and clean.

Old 03-14-2003, 09:16 PM
ruby2
New User
Thumbs up mercon/mercon V mixed ?

its not over yet, not counting my cookies