Sponsored by:

Overhead Console Light Sockets Broken Copper Ring

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
cba
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead Console Light Sockets Broken Copper Ring

Does anyone know if there is a replacement part for the Copper Ring that bulb screws into? Attached is a picture I copied from a previous post. Notice the copper ring. On mine 2000 Excursion one of these rings is broken. Thanks for the help. Joe

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cba
Does anyone know if there is a replacement part for the Copper Ring that bulb screws into? Attached is a picture I copied from a previous post. Notice the copper ring. On mine 2000 Excursion one of these rings is broken. Thanks for the help. Joe

Just saw this on CL if you're interested. Check to see if the light is still intact and working. Good luck.

2003 Ford Excursion Over Head Console $75

Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same problem, but havent really looked around for a replacement yet.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
I have the same problem, except mine fused the bulb to where it screws in, so I need that part also. I went to dealer and they have no part number and it doesn't show on the console schematic. I guess its a trip to the junkyard. Anyone know what or if other overhead consoles are interchangeable? Thanks

Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by wikdwest
I have the same problem, except mine fused the bulb to where it screws in, so I need that part also. I went to dealer and they have no part number and it doesn't show on the console schematic. I guess its a trip to the junkyard. Anyone know what or if other overhead consoles are interchangeable? Thanks
I had replaced mine with one from an Expedition...maybe it was an EB edition. Fits perfectly. The only thing different was the lens cover for the display was blue instead of green.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:20 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
Originally Posted by jh818
I had replaced mine with one from an Expedition...maybe it was an EB edition. Fits perfectly. The only thing different was the lens cover for the display was blue instead of green.
Do you remember what years have the same console?

I plugged in the radio part and it works perfectly, Thanks again

Old 02-22-2011, 05:49 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
I'm not sure what model year it came from. Bought it off Ebay and the picture was like mine, so I bought it. I only needed the compartment door. Sold it on CL to someone who needed the sockets as well.

You might want to take the photos from the link I had posted above and ask the question in the Expedition and Navigator forum and see what model years has the same overhead console. I'm sure someone there would be able to tell you.

Glad the part worked out for you. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I picked up a spare Expy console and found the heater controls were different. Plugged it in and the lights lit up when they were not supposed to. I believe same year Expys share the console with the X but you may have to swap the computer and controls with the ones you already have.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:10 PM
ericmmcv
Junior User
I have a 2001 X limited. the on off button for one of my dome/map light was not working. I took it apart and was able to fix it. After putting the whole overhead console back together and testing it the other light button broke! Went in to fix that one but the spring inside was bad. Went to the dealership and they , over course dont have just the plastic button or even the complete conector assembly that has both buttons attached. They said I would have to buy the whole overhead console for 900.00. Come on, 900.00 dollars to fix a 25 cent plastic button!!! Anyone have a old console or even better the connector assembly that has both buttons let me know. If i can find a little spring that I can subsiture for the one inside the plastic button that will work too be cause I am pretty sure I can repair that. Went to radio shack and of course no luck...

Old 03-01-2011, 04:07 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
Originally Posted by ericmmcv
I have a 2001 X limited. the on off button for one of my dome/map light was not working. I took it apart and was able to fix it. After putting the whole overhead console back together and testing it the other light button broke! Went in to fix that one but the spring inside was bad. Went to the dealership and they , over course dont have just the plastic button or even the complete conector assembly that has both buttons attached. They said I would have to buy the whole overhead console for 900.00. Come on, 900.00 dollars to fix a 25 cent plastic button!!! Anyone have a old console or even better the connector assembly that has both buttons let me know. If i can find a little spring that I can subsiture for the one inside the plastic button that will work too be cause I am pretty sure I can repair that. Went to radio shack and of course no luck...
There are some on ebay:
Excursion
Ford Excursion Overhead Console Compass OEM - eBay (item 280635636280 end time Mar-04-11 07:43:57 PST)
Expedition
97-02 FORD EXPEDITION OVERHEAD CONSOLE - eBay (item 170609759803 end time Mar-07-11 08:48:53 PST)

Old 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
I have an 03 Windstar and the console dome light is the same so you could use those parts

Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 PM
ericmmcv
Junior User
Found one on Ebay!! Thanks everyone. This site is invaluable for all the info you can find and learn....

Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's another option. We purchased a 2001 Navigator a few years ago that had a bad OH lamp socket-it's identical to the Ex part. The socket is not available as a separately serviced part, but you can fix it using a bit of creativity. I purchased a pair of the LED "board type" lights from an online vendor and spliced them into the wiring where it comes into the console. Perfect replacement, good light, and no more melted sockets.
JL

Old 03-06-2011, 11:34 AM
wikdwest
Senior User
Went to the junk yard yesterday to find the dome light setup. It was slim pickings on trucks there. But I was able to find one of the "ribbon wires," not sure what else to call it, that was intact. There were no excursions and only 1 99 expedition in the yard. They rarely get excursion in the yard. So, I found that the newer explorers and windstars use the same ribbon wire but the bulb holders are different.

I left the junkyard with the one ribbon wire, replacement bulb holder and a complete windstar upper console. I used the lone ribbon wire in my Ex and as soon as I screwed in the bulb the ribbon wire tore, but it still works if you can get the contacts from the bulb in the right position. Unfortunately, the replacement bulb holder I used requires a different size bulb so I only have one working light now. It looks like I can just pull out the entire bulb switch assembly from the windstar console and mate it in the excursion console so then I don't have to mess with the ribbon wire at all and just plug it in. Will update when I tackle the exchange.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Take pictures.

Quick Reply: Overhead Console Light Sockets Broken Copper Ring