1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OK, so what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
I'm so far off from paint that it's hard to imagine, but I'm a big fan of using these trucks as trucks. Any way you go, if you have the attitude that you aren't so worried about every inch of paint, then you can go any way.
I would vote for the less expensive option and something that gets it on the road sooner and more often.

Here is another thread on the topic from a while ago.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...de-finish.html

If you don't like the way it turns out, I will take it off your hands free of charge.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
To echo so many others, it's yours, do with it what you want.

I personally think flat black or semi flat is like Rat Rods, it's something to hide behind when you don't want to finish a project. Anyone can do a so-so job and hose a coat of flat paint on it and the imperfections won't show. At one time flat black might have been an individual thing but now, like tattoos and shaved heads, everyone is doing it and to me they all look the same. I play around with a program like photoshop to customize vehicles by chopping and changine colors. I refuse to flat black a car, it's just way too easy.

Just my 2¢

Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Ditto to what Bob said!!

I understand where you are coming from. For years I rode an old raggedy motorcyle (Honda CB900 Custom), I didn't have to worry about a thing. I finally painted it andmade it look good, then I had to really worry about it. It took several years before I could really enjoy it again....then I went and painted it again (that bike was easy, just 2 side covers and a tank) then spent another couple years worrying about it. Right now my old truck is ugly, but that sure gives you a lot of freedom. I can whip into any parking space anywhere and not have to worry about a thing. I know someday I'll paint it, it won't be a high end paint job by any means but I'll worry and fuss over it. In the end you got to do what feels right to you. Even if you do go with suede or a flat color you are going to fuss and worry over the thing. It will get a little better after you get your first few road chips and you scratch it, but you will still fuss over it.

I say spray it and be done with it and celebrate the fact that you are almost there!
Bobby

Old 01-07-2011, 05:53 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
To echo so many others, it's yours, do with it what you want.

I personally think flat black or semi flat is like Rat Rods, it's something to hide behind when you don't want to finish a project. Anyone can do a so-so job and hose a coat of flat paint on it and the imperfections won't show. At one time flat black might have been an individual thing but now, like tattoos and shaved heads, everyone is doing it and to me they all look the same. I play around with a program like photoshop to customize vehicles by chopping and changine colors. I refuse to flat black a car, it's just way too easy.

Just my 2¢
Just because it's flat or suede doesn't mean it has to be black! It can be any color and can even have clear coat. You can just add a flattening agent to the clear.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Ditto to what Bob said!!

I say spray it and be done with it and celebrate the fact that you are almost there!
Bobby

This is the best post of the group. Just do it and enjoy your truck while we are still working on ours. Driving them is what it is all about.

Besides if you don't like it, re-shoot but just go do it...

jim

Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
color

WELL DREW I think you should paint it BRIGHT BLUE. Same color as the blue oval truck parts add on this page.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:14 PM
markthompson999
Junior User
I personally happen to like a nice suede or matte black on these old trucks, that's what I'm planning on painting my Merc.

The only advice/opinion I would give is DON'T choose a paint scheme based on what other people may think, or because it's "too easy", or because everyone else is doing it, or because "X colour is the new whatever".... choose it because it's what you like and what you think will work best with the purpose of your truck.

I totally understand not wanting to paint a truck a certain colour because you simply don't think it looks good (for example, I would never even consider painting any vehicle yellow)... but I'll never understand avoiding a colour because you're worried other people won't think it's fancy enough.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Like all the others said it is your truck do what makes you happy
dont let anyone else decide for you i wish that my truck was already
done & that was all i had to worry about.just remember that when you
paint it if you dont like it you can repaint it-but always do it your way

Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
Just because it's flat or suede doesn't mean it has to be black! It can be any color and can even have clear coat. You can just add a flattening agent to the clear.
thank you!!!!!even tho i hate the word rat rod,,,,,i do not mind the flat or even better yet,satin paints...i guess because i am obsessed with ww2 vehicles...i just love olive drab.....i refuse to paint my truck because the owner tried to fix it in the early 60s,at least that is what he said...

Last edited by iwanaflattie; 01-07-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: iam a dumass
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 PM
gwssms
Freshman User
Only you know what's right for your truck, why put the decision in the hands of people you don't even know?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Your truck looks great in primer so whether you paint it in suede or gloss it's still going to look like candy(sweeeeeet). You said your retired so it's time to enjoy it right, do your thing, you'll be glad you did.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
thank you!!!!!even tho i hate the word rat rod,,,,,i do not mind the flat or even better yet,satin paints...i guess because i am obsessed with ww2 vehicles...i just love olive drab.....i refuse to paint my truck because the owner tried to fix it in the early 60s,at least that is what he said...
Wow you've really been busy,lol. I like the looks, suede is nice

Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
As was previously said, It is your truck, do it like you want.
The fun factor is the reason my 53 is still in the patina state, I am having too much fun driving it to tear it back apart to finish the body work and paint

Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by markthompson999
I personally happen to like a nice suede or matte black on these old trucks, that's what I'm planning on painting my Merc.

The only advice/opinion I would give is DON'T choose a paint scheme based on what other people may think, or because it's "too easy", or because everyone else is doing it, or because "X colour is the new whatever".... choose it because it's what you like and what you think will work best with the purpose of your truck.

I totally understand not wanting to paint a truck a certain colour because you simply don't think it looks good (for example, I would never even consider painting any vehicle yellow)... but I'll never understand avoiding a colour because you're worried other people won't think it's fancy enough.
I GUESS YOU DON'T LIKE MINE THEN ???? LOL LIKE I CARE !!!!!

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by thepitshop
Suede!! Did you say you were going pink!!, seriously i think with all the mods you have it would really look good in a suede colour.
You darksiders are all alike. Pink suede huh? I have to admit, that would be different.

Quick Reply: OK, so what do you think?