Sponsored by:

auto painting shops recommended?....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 09:23 AM
yosemite
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be getting my Bronco repainted and want to know what is recommended? I'm in Houston. I've heard that Earl Scheib is good and I've looked online and here's one somewhat near me. They have coupons for $280(normally $499) paint job with 6 year warranty on it. More if you have 2 tone like me (Eddie Bauer), and they do pin stripes etc too.

This is the best deal I can find, and with the 2 tone, the pin stripe and possibly the door jamb it will cost near $500-$600. That's if I make it look like it does now. I could always go for just the blue and no door jambs for $280.

Brian

Old 03-06-2003, 03:04 PM
anollmann
Senior User

I have constantly toyed with the idea of repainting my Bronco. Whoever ordered a new truck painted teal and white was goofy! I bought it (used) because of the price, low miles, and great condition. At the time I figured paint color was the last thing to worry about.

I am curious to hear what people have paid to ahve theirs painted and what shops the like. My roomate got some quotes from Maaco for her dodge I was gonna give them a call too.

Old 03-06-2003, 03:29 PM
christop43
Posting Guru

I would never take a vehicle to maaco, I have heard/seen nothing but bad things about them. A company I use to work for had a couple of their fleet vans painted there and the paint started to peel within 4 months. Also they sprayed it so thin you could still see the origional color underneath in some areas.

Old 03-06-2003, 05:08 PM
yosemite
Senior User

I agree. I don't know who to use, but I know not to go to Maaco. They are cheap, but you'll be peeling and needing another paint job within the year.

That's why i liked the Earl Scheib place. They are a chain and have a 6 year warranty on a $499 paint job that you can find coupons online every once and a while for $279

Old 03-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Try getting as many estimates as possible i know many friends who had theirs painted by indepedent painters (just make sure u get estimates and ask for people names who they did work for good luck TR

Old 03-07-2003, 12:45 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

My Grandfather got his car painted at an Earl Scheib several years ago. The paint was still wet when they told us it was ready to go. Not what I would consider to be the best quality work. Oh, they also didn't even bother to cover the tires when they sprayed so they were half painted too. There is a reason why some places seem so cheap for a paint job. It's because you get a cheap paint job.

Old 03-07-2003, 07:21 AM
yosemite
Senior User

If you get the cheapest one they offer there is no drying so it doesn't surprise me the vehicle was still wet. That paint job is probably no better than Maaco. It actually says on the 2nd package "drying process". The first package also only has 2 coats of paint. The 3rd has 3 coats and a clear coat, a drying process and extra drying/cleaning. That's why I was going to go with the most expensive one but use a coupon that comes out every few months that brings the price down from $499 to $279.

Old 03-08-2003, 07:56 PM
moemeadors
Junior User

Wow, a topic I actually know a little about.

The skinny on MAACO - as long as the sprayer is good (gun and man) you can get a good paint job. Maaco is not known for prepping the vehicle, now if you remove the chrome/trim, prep the paint using a vibrating sander instead of an orbital (leaves stupid circular lines) use a filler style primer (very heavy-and black) that sprays on, you can sand down most blemishes, wet the black primer and it turns glossy and all problems show up. If you do a good prep and leave no finger prints or grease/oil on the primer, you can get a decent paint job. To be honest, an average paint job with multiple clear coats properly prepped in between coats will leave an unbelievalbe paint job...if you don't have the paint professionally cured(dried) you are wasting your time and might as well do it in your back yard. Remember, wet sanding is your friend.

Old 03-10-2003, 12:09 AM
borderpatrolExpy
New User

Don't bash all the Maaco shops out there. There are about 7 different ones in Houston, and if you took a vehicle to each one, you would get 7 different paint jobs. I had a few areas of my '00 B4C Camaro repainted base/clear, and it was a good job for what I paid. I went to the one on Clay Rd in NW Houston. Owner's name is Chuck Smith. As already mentioned, body work and prep is the key. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish: If you have a vehicle that looks like crap and you want it to look better for a few years and then sell it or do it right when you have the cash, go to Maaco. If you are driving a vehicle that you plan on keeping forever and want a factory or better job, pay $2500 or so and get it done right.