6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Not using truck enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Gental Ben 2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not using truck enough?

I don't use my truck much over the winter months; I try to get it out 2x a week. Is it hard on the truck to sit around say for week at a time?
I live in the frozen north of BC about 70 mile north of Seattle so this time of year day time highs are only 35-45 degrees and lows are about 26-32.
I usually use the block heater for about 2 hours before starting and let it idle for about 5 minutes before gently driving another 5 before I give her any real stress.
With a gas vehicle it was never a concern but with the 6.0l should I be driving more to save repairs down the road???

Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Dr. Rik
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh gentel driver

dude be prepared, if you dont drive it enough to get the moisture out of the turbo you will be having issues. Im not saying that you should beat it im stating to drive it in that weather hiway speeds at least a good 30 minutes. remember we had this discussion. B)

Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As long as the 2 trips per week are long enough to stabilize the engine temps you should be alright. That usually takes about 10 to 15 miles hiway speed at one time. Not to and from adding up to that mileage. More would be better.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
I am the same way Ben, my Ex may sit for a week. Fortunately I live 12 miles from town and when I fire the 6.0 up that is usually the shortest distance I go one way. Diesels like to run and get up to temp, I don't fire it up to move it around the drive unless I absolutely have to, my gasser SUV handles the trailer jockeying, trash hauling, short distant duties.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My experience here is a spirited drive once a month is OK to deter most problems --- namely rust in turbo.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Guys... common here, please.

Gas or diesel... it does not matter....

Short trips and not getting one's motor up to temp to burn off any moisture that may be present in the oil or motor is crucial.

Short trips which do not fully charge one's battery is also crucial... as your alternator will not charge the battery if too many short trips are driven in a short period of time.

To let a truck sit for a 1 - 3 weeks is not an issue.... to let them idle for 15 to 30 minutes and think your charging the batteries and warming it up is harder on the motor than doing nothing or not driving the truck at all. A diesel with an EGR system does not like to be idled for long periods of time and will carbon up.

Short trips here and there is fine and will not hurt anything... but this will impact how frequantly one changes their oil due to the moisture that is built up over time (moisture and sulfur/soot makes sulfuric acid... which is not good over the long haul for your motor). This is why mechanics will always advise to change the oil in cars, trucks, boats, lawnmowers and motorcycles... prior to putting them away for the winter.

Gas or diesel... just drive your truck once a month until all temperature gauges come up to temperature and run it for awhile. Also have your climate control set to "auto" so your A/C will circulate as needed... this will also circulate the AC and the lubricant to keep all the seals in good shape.

Running your truck at temp for 20 - 30 minutes around town or on the highway will circulate everything, charge the batteries and cycle the turbo... and burn off any moisture in the oil.

The use of a quality diesel anti-gel fuel additive (even if using "winterized fuel) is recommended to maintain the cetane levels, prevent moisture and prevent gelling!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Ben, why do you have the truck?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook

Gass or diesel... it does not matter....

Thank you Beachbum, I was afraid I was going to have an oxidation lecture. This thread was going south with bad advice real fast. Beachbum is right.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by smokersteve
Ben, why do you have the truck?

Note that he only said he didn't use it much during the winter, he might put a million miles on it or pull a massive trailer during the summer months.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook

Gas or diesel... it does not matter....

Short trips and not getting one's motor up to temp to burn off any moisture that may be present in the oil or motor is crucial.

Short trips which do not fully charge one's battery is also crucial... as your alternator will not charge the battery if too many short trips are driven in a short period of time.

To let a truck sit for a 1 - 3 weeks is not an issue.... to let them idle for 15 to 30 minutes and think your charging the batteries and warming it up is harder on the motor than doing nothing or not driving the truck at all. A diesel with an EGR system does not like to be idled for long periods of time and will carbon up.

Short trips here and there is fine and will not hurt anything... but this will impact how frequantly one changes their oil due to the moisture that is built up over time (moisture and sulfur/soot makes sulfuric acid... which is not good over the long haul for your motor). This is why mechanics will always advise to change the oil in cars, trucks, boats, lawnmowers and motorcycles... prior to putting them away for the winter.

Gas or diesel... just drive your truck once a month until all temperature gauges come up to temperature and run it for awhile. Also have your climate control set to "auto" so your A/C will circulate as needed... this will also circulate the AC and the lubricant to keep all the seals in good shape.

Running your truck at temp for 20 - 30 minutes around town or on the highway will circulate everything, charge the batteries and cycle the turbo... and burn off any moisture in the oil.

The use of a quality diesel anti-gel fuel additive (even if using "winterized fuel) is recommended to maintain the cetane levels, prevent moisture and prevent gelling!!!
Caution on the gauges up to temp. statement. That is if you have a/m gauges. My stock gauges are up to temp. long before my a/m temp. gauge. As an example the stock tranny gauge is in the middle when the a/m digital gauge is only at 68 degrees.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Gental Ben 2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lot's of good advice!
I was concerned that there were problems related to 6.0l that would be an issue from sitting to long.
I don't see anyone highlighting anything so my current practices seem to be OK.

Why own a 6.0l that I don't drive daily......I have a 10,000 5th wheel and an acreage that always needs something.
My daily driver is a Civic that gets 40mpg; what does your 6.0l get-mine get's 13-15mpg.
Save some oil for the great grandkids!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Nothing wrong with having a 6.0 that's not driven daily. It's how you use it when driven. As stated above short trips are not good for any internal combustion engine but worse for the later model smog diesels.