2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello, possible new owner of an 06 F-150 XLT 4x4.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 PM
timmyboy188
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, possible new owner of an 06 F-150 XLT 4x4.....

Hello everyone, I'm currently in the process of getting a new truck, and have been specifically looking at this one :

Cars for Sale: 2006 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab in Tucson, AZ 85711: Truck Details - 289371544 - AutoTrader.com

I just wanted to get some feedback from owners of this same truck, pros and cons. I have never owned a Ford before, but have owned GMC's and Toyota trucks. I will be using it for commutes to Cali, Colorado, and around town for work. Let me know what you think of the one I'm looking at as well, like price, miles etc.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
shawn_N
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just read. pay particular attention to the cam phasers that some have problems with when you are browsing around thread titles.

I have learned one thing being a car/truck enthusiast, READ your *** off. Before you ask anything, read more. the 5.4 is indeed a good motor. its just a little touchy.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 PM
timmyboy188
New User
I have done a little reading, and damn is there a lot of info out there!

I'm just such a Ford noob, all the info is making my head hurt a little...

Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 PM
shawn_N
Senior User
as it will with anything you buy used.

if you read my thread you can get a general idea. long story short, fell in love with the truck, took it for a test drive and it misfires. so i have been reading and turning wrenches. i look at it this way, i am bonding with my new truck, and i have a better understanding on how maintance is performed and i now know where the truck stands.

I think i am a active member of about 4 car/truck forums. i was a ford mustang formum member first, then the other f150 dot net forum, then a subaru forum ( member of about 3 on the subaru ) then here when i had my 1979. ive just learned to read before asking. worse that can happen is i educate myself on something else and maybe what i was looking for to begin with. the information is out there. this site is not harsh like most sites though and people are eager to help. although my post count on this site is low, i have read alot. i carry over 15K posts on one other subaru site.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
AspenGreenMetallic
Junior User
Sharp truck. Cool rims! Not all gaudy, just the right amount of bling

If you decide to deal on it... Make the dealership change the original spark plugs out before you sign anything! It will haunt you later if you don't start with a fresh set put in right off the bat.
I was told by the dealer that sold me my truck that they serviced it through and through including the replacing the plugs. That wasn't the case because when I checked a month after I had it, they were seized in there tight with carbon. 104,000 miles on them and they were a PITA to get out, plus I had to buy the Lisle tool.

If all of the above paragraph is French to you, just do a search on the 04-06 F150 spark plug issue...

Sorry for the lengthly reply, but I don't want to see anybody else played like I was.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
timmyboy188
New User
You seem to have the same story as me. I too was on WRXfanatics, 350z forum, gto forum, dirtbike forum etc etc.... I have been reading. Honestly, I just wanted some feedback on what people thought about the one I was looking at and the price. I'll keep reading info, thanks for the help : )

Tim

Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 PM
timmyboy188
New User
Thank you, Aspen, I did read up on that spark plug issue, and I will have them change these out, as the carfax doesnt seem to show this service done anywhere.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 PM
shawn_N
Senior User
but to help you answer your question......the basics....

check the oil with a white paper towel. this is something i always do. that way the color of the oil will appear very clear on the white paper towel, and hopefully not, but if it does you can easily identify metallic deposits, or a metallic look in oil.

i like to check all the fluids with this process.

engauge the 4 wheel drive and listen to it with the windows down.

the sound i am talking about can be easily identified. these motors are a bit noisy as it is, and when i say noisy, the best i can describe it is a ticking noise compared to a leaking exhaust manifold.

this is what the motor will sound like when the phasers are going out. it sounds like a diesel.
YouTube - FORD 5.4 with cam phaser issue

again, just general maintance stuff when checking it out. go by the maintance shedule, and when the time comes replace the plugs with motorcraft. you might educate yourself on that ( plug replacement ) if you intend to do it yourself, or shell out the big bucks and pay to have it done. hope all this helps.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM
timmyboy188
New User
Thank you! I will definitely look out for this cam issue. I wonder if it has any kind of warranty left...

I have done plugs on my 04 GTO and 94 toyota pickup, so I'm sure I can do the labor. Motorcarft spark plugs eh? No NGK's?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM
timmyboy188
New User
Oh and BTW, the rims will be going once I buy some black rims and put these chromes up for sale, not a fan of chrome wheels at all.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM
shawn_N
Senior User
yeah this is a totally different beast than the sexy rex or the turbo setups i would say me and you both are used to wrenching on. i just picked up motorcraft plugs from orielys, ( part number SP515 ) at 7.99 each. I wouldnt put anything else in it. i run 1 step colder NGK's in my 05LGT.

the plugs are a hit and miss from everything i have been reading ( the same you have been reading ). no recall on this issue, although i have read about some law-suits taking place over it. ill check back on that when i get the antique tags for it 20 years from now and see how thats working out for em.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 PM
timmyboy188
New User
So is this something as simple as just replacing them with new ones to avoid this issue?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 PM
shawn_N
Senior User
simple might be a far fetched word, lengthy would probably better describe it. i am having a buddy of mine that is a ford mechanic at a dealership come over to guide me through it all, primarily cuz im a tight butt and cant see myself paying to have it done. from everything im reading it is nothing uncommon to break a couple 3,4 spark plugs. then you have to exrtract them with the tool as mentioned above ( lisle Tool )

people have reported having the phaser issue early in mileage such as yours, and other have reported 200K+ with zero issue with their truck. its a hit and miss i guess.

for recreation reading.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - To those with an 04 F150 5.4L 3v

Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 PM
timmyboy188
New User
So it's a matter of just being careful you don't break the original ones. I wonder what the chances are of the dealer doing it....

Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 PM
shawn_N
Senior User
its a good looking truck. Dont get me wrong on that. judging from your vehicle ownership ( suabru ) you got good taste. Just pop the hood, take a good listen, take a good test drive and throw the dice as many of people have done such as yourself when buying soemthing used. I have heard more good then bad come from the 5.4 3v its a good running motor. its a low mileage truck that is reasonably priced. you wont get that dealership to replace the plugs though. you know that as well as i do. it might be a bargining tool yes, but they wont replace it nor would i let a dealership change them to begin with.

Quick Reply: Hello, possible new owner of an 06 F-150 XLT 4x4.....