Sponsored by:

76 bronco Dana 20 "J" style Transfer case pops out of 2H while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM
myklstrng
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
76 bronco Dana 20 "J" style Transfer case pops out of 2H while driving

Ok I just bought this bronco and im about to drain the tc and inspect the inside of it. It appears to me that this tc has been taken out and resealed, it has fresh paint on it and the tc frame mount has new hardware and bushings as well. not sure if the unit was rebuilt since its got this one problem. The previous owner claimed it only popped out of 2H when it was manually shifted however when he took me for a drive it popped out of 2H while in drive only. since ive bought it ive driven it a dozen times but only a couple miles each time. If I drive it normal it wont pop out of 2H but if i get on it, it eventually pops out. so far it has only popped out while in 2nd or third gear. On the last pic I posted on here it shows a close up of where the bootom end of the gear shifter acctuates the dowels in and out of the TC. I was wondering if anyone knew if that looked correct or should there be a plastic or rubber boot that slips over the bottom of the shifter?

It seems to me that if a rubber or plastic boot was installed on the bottom of that gear shifter then it would have less play...

When I shift into 4H or 4L the dowels that move in and out of the tc engage farther into the unit then when I engage 2H is this normal? should 2H have the same amount of movement as 4H &4L?

also would it make sense to look for a a "T" style dana 20 or does the "J" style usually work fine?

Just in case here are a few more specs
302, C4 auto with an aftermarket floor shifter. full posi 9" rear Dana 44 open front. 4.10 gears Tires are all worn and trash, very old. The left rear spring has 2inches of sag, very noticeable.

Thx for any and all help fellas!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not really familiar with the inner workings, but here's what I do know. There is a detent ball and spring on each shift rail. I believe you can check that part on a J shift without disassembly, could be missing. You could always do a twin stick conversion, definatly an upgrade. The T shift has a straight shift pattern and a lower low range gear set. Personally, I like the T shift transfer case better. The boy's over on classicbroncos.com could help you a lot more. A set of shop manuals for your year would be a big help if you plan on keeping and wrenching on it.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 PM
myklstrng
Senior User
thx, i just posted my problem over there. I have an original 4 volume shop manual for 74 ford trucks vans and broncos but its not specific and doesnt get into the dana 20 ill look into that for my bronco. looks like ill be pulling the tc, just hope i can do all the work my self

Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
not familure with the J or auto.
I wonder if U could unbolt the selector from the intermediate or what ever it's bolted to (that would isolate to the 2 rods) and physically move the 2. Sometimes it's in that "linkage area" not inside the case.
I've heard of this in these bronks B 4. Seem to remember a thread on it over @ CB (with pic on remedy). Use their search function. Seemed to B more than 1 thread.
Good luck, let us know how you do/other suggestions sought.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 AM
myklstrng
Senior User
ok thx, ill keep you guys posted. what exactly should I type to run that search, any ideas?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
cb help

Originally Posted by myklstrng
ok thx, ill keep you guys posted. what exactly should I type to run that search, any ideas?
May B 1st thing go 2 bronk "tech. articles". It'll have buncha articles been posted B 4. One may B on a D20 rebuild. I just saw 1 that sez "Fab a Twin Stick" and another sez "rebuild a 3 speed Transfer" (that's yourn, the T is a 4 speed). Early in the art. will B an explination of how the linkage wrks. Like gwf sez there's some "pills" in dar dat can B problematic.
If no thing there, scroll to bottom of page and select "bronco tech". That's the form to converse. Go to the top (i think) a the page n select search. Enter ur problem and a list a threads will B presented. select some to skim till U have the info n then read in depth. go out n try it on yourn. if still problems go back to that same "conversing' form n ask for help. you'll b overwhelmed w/responces. some know what their talkin bout, some not. you'll c soon. lota egos over there so mind yer manners and they might
8- }
Again, let us No...

Old 12-30-2010, 07:55 AM
myklstrng
Senior User
sounds good chad thx again

Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
obviously start w/the easy stuff 1st (linkage). Look 2 C if the auto linkage screws up the T-case linkage (not very likely, more so W/manual). Also the 'replace' could have placed it out of alignment w/the shifter (again, I'm lookin @ the linkage thing). The X-member replace ditto on linkage...
(again) Try n isolate that 1st.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:06 AM
myklstrng
Senior User
After doing all my research I've decided to order new detent ***** & springs. I'm also replacing the flawed J shifter design with a twin stick. That should cute my problems & give me more options on the trail.

Thx again!