1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering box and pump selection/compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 AM
tjdad62
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering box and pump selection/compatibility

Hey all,
I was wondering if those of you that have done the Toyota or GM steering box swap, what kind of pump did you go with. The reason I ask is that I found a box from a 77 Monte Carlo and was curious if I should also grab the pump, thinking that there may be problems if I try to run a GM box from a Ford PS pump. Sound logical or am I off base?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Alcaeus
Elder User
From what i understand you can run any pump that has a pressure equivalent to that which would have been standard with that system. Ford/gm/nissan whatever.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
that brings up another question

OK so any pump that will get the pressure and volume will work. Does anyone know what that might be for any steering box or rack and pinion?
I have accumulated several pumps along the way several that I have no idea whrere they came from due to my (n)ever improving memory. It is easy enough to calculate volume based on pressure drop across an orfice. Most steering pumps have a built in pressure relief so the volume has to be measured at a lower pressure than max. - - - Now the more difficult part - - - How much pressure and at what volume does a steering box or rack need to be happy????? where can we get that kind of information easily? I am somewhat challenged when it comes to searches. Seems like the obvious to most of you guys escapes me when it comes time to search for an item. What would you look for when using a spesific rack and pinion? I have tried specifications for crown Vic rack and pinion, pressure requirements, volume requirements, and other stuff too strange to mention. If anyone finds the "magic" question please post it here along with the answer.

By the way GOOD QUESTION!!!!

Old 12-28-2010, 01:34 PM
dawolverine
Senior User
I think most people select their pump by compatibility with the engine they have, as thats a major issue when thinking about mounting the pump.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
The easiest thing to do is to run a pump that is compatible with the engine you are running so you don't have to fab custom brackets.

I'm running an early 70's Caddy 500ci engine with the stock power steering pump connected to my Toyota box. The big problem was connecting the pump with standard fittings to the box with metric fittings. The return is no problem as its low pressure. For the pressure hose I took the standard fitting from the Caddy hose and cut the toyo hose, removed the metric fitting, replaced it with the standard fitting and reflared it.

You could probably have a local hydraulic shop fab the hose up as well. I think there is a company, Gottashow, or something like that that makes braided hoses that would work.

Bobby

Old 12-28-2010, 03:44 PM
tjdad62
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
The easiest thing to do is to run a pump that is compatible with the engine you are running so you don't have to fab custom brackets.

I'm running an early 70's Caddy 500ci engine with the stock power steering pump connected to my Toyota box. The big problem was connecting the pump with standard fittings to the box with metric fittings. The return is no problem as its low pressure. For the pressure hose I took the standard fitting from the Caddy hose and cut the toyo hose, removed the metric fitting, replaced it with the standard fitting and reflared it.

You could probably have a local hydraulic shop fab the hose up as well. I think there is a company, Gottashow, or something like that that makes braided hoses that would work.

Bobby
Thanks guys for all the responses. I am of the opinion too, that I need to run the pump that is on the vehicle that I am getting the box from. That way its more of a "matched set" so to speak. It would be easier for me to fab some brackets or have some fabbed, rather than spending time swapping out pumps or having to get special valves, etc to make it work.