1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Ok I really need some help now

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:39 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I really need some help now

I'm at the end of my rope with this oil leak on the front of my oil cooler. The gasket leaks every time I start it up cold. 3 new gaskets so far, 2 different front headers, I changed the relief valve and made sure it was all nice and shiny and not sticking, new rear header, checked for cracks using magnaflux and dye penetrant testing now, I'm lost. If I plug it in on these cold mornings it doesn't leak. It doesn't leak when it's warm out or the engine has warmed up.
We have to be on the road at the end of next week and I can't plug this thing in at hotels plus I really can't afford a breakdown in the middle of nowhere. It's our only vehicle.
Unless someone has a brilliant idea my plans now are pulling the engine today and replacing the front cover and oil pan. The oil pan has a repaired cut in the back of it from the clutch cover and needs to be replaced anyway.
I'm going to be using the front cover off of my 97 engine and the oil pan too. . I need to know what else I need to change or modify to do this. Part numbers for all the proper gaskets I need for the cover, water pump, hpop, and reservoir. I think that is it. Do I need to use the 97 hpop or the 94? The one on it isn't leaking. If I have to use the 97 then I need to reseal it too. I really hope this isn't going to cost me a fortune. I'm broke from all the crap I've fixed lately and just don't need this anymore.

Please, any tips, advice, words of wisdom or whatever please let me have it. I need all the help I can get right now fixing this stupid leak. It's been going on over a year and I can't trust it in the winter like this.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Don't quote me RRranch, but I believe if you use the 97 front cover you need the 97 hpop too. Not positive though, just really wanted to say you are having the worst of luck there, hope you get it goin.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldn't you just buy a whole new oil cooler assembly? There has to be something wrong like its warped or out of round did you put it on your lathe and check roundness with an indicator? Im sorry I can't help too much I've personally never done an oil cooler. Could you use rtv on it? Just thinking out loud.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I tried gray rtv the first time I rebuilt it and it leaked. It got me by till this winter.
I didn't chuck up the cooler tube itself and put a dial on it but it sure looks straight. It's nice and clean too. Almost looks brand new.

As soon as my kid gets up we're gonna start pulling the front end off. It sure makes life easier getting the engine out. I'll pull the cooler again and give it and the front cover one more look over and crack check. It will be a lot easier with the grill and radiator all out of the way.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm jealous in a way, I sooooo want to pull my engine and fix my leaks. =\

Oil pan seaps.
front cover seaps.
Oil cooler seaps.
Hpop leaks.

haha

Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
We just pulled off all the accessories on the front of the motor, the belt and the accessory bracket and cleaned up the flange real good. We started it and no leaks now. So I guess It's gonna get rolled outside like this and we'll go try it again late tonight after it cools off again. We're about 40 degrees right now and it's only been run less than a minute. It sure was throwing the oil the first time I cranked it at 3 AM.

What else is pressurized oil right there in that area of the front oil cooler flange? I looked at the front cover off the 97 real good and it doesn't look like pressurized anything on that side of it. The head plug isn't leaking and I am pretty sure the one on the bottom front corner of the block isn't either. The one by the ground cables. I took those off a few days ago and cleaned they real nice so I could see it.

I really do NOT want to pull this thing right now!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:44 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could the oil be coming from behind the harmonic balancer? The LPOP is behind it is it not? Just a thought.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I wish it could be that easy. It's not though. I just resealed all three plugs in that corner of the engine but I'm not too hopeful. I'll have to wait till tonight when it's cold again and see where it's spraying from.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
I'm curious how much does it leak?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
usually between a quart and a half gallon before it stops. Oh and to answer another poster, it does it with 15w40 motorcraft, rotella and 5w40 rotella.

I just went out and started it with all the junk off the front of the motor so I could see. It's definitly the front cooler gasket and not the front cover or any of the plugs. I had a perfect view of it with everything off. I was impressed it cycled the glow plugs and started good with just one battery though. I had the ground cables off that side for the left battery so I could see the oil gallery plugs behind them.

Now I have to figure out what to do about it. It was coming from the gasket itself and not out of a crack. I know that flange was straight and flat. I guess it's getting glued on. Not sure what else to do. Any ideas? I have some type 2 permatex that should work. I was thinking type 1 would be better though. The one that hardens. I also have some of the motorcraft gray silicone. That held for a year last time. Which one do you all think would work best? I should be done rebuilding my new engine by summer I hope.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
If it's leaking from the gasket that goes between the oil cooler head and front cover, I'd run a large flat file across both and see if there's a warp or knick somewhere. Carefully file the entire surfaces and use Ford/IH Gray silicone and let set for 2 or 3 days or more before starting the truck.
The Gray silicone is really good stuff. You can bridge pretty large gaps with it once it's fully cured.

Good luck.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
that's where it's leaking. The back side of the gasket on the thin part of the front cover flange. It's barely 3/16 wide there on the 94. A little bit thicker on the newer front cover but not much.