1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Has anyone ever done this??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:40 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenjh
I do like this place...I tried the twin trans thing.... hell ...30 years ago..it worked for a while two things it is hard to line up properly ..and it did blow up after a few weeks of abuse ...damm it was nearly 40 years ago ,in my 50 merkury panel..and yah running backwards made for interesting shifting..it will work.. I just wasn't smart enough to figger it all out just slamed it together and hoped for the best..I couldn't weld didn't machine anything straight..and had no idea about safety...but it was fun!!!
That is a perfect example of how we did those types of things before internet, jegs, pre-made parts and who knows what all else. You looked at a problem long enough until you figured out a solution and then just did it.... Damn those were good days..

jim

Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have thought about this many times and i have also thought about running a second transfer case backwards but as has been stated i think most of these things are designed to only turn one way and would wine like hell and blow up pretty fast going the other way. would still like to try it sometime tho.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was fun to do and scary as hell on the highway...and makes more sense at 5 bucks a gallon now then when it was 65 cents a gallon.... with synthetics and better idea of what we need to do to make it work ...go for it!!! or as your great statesman said "git er' done!!"