Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Happy with performance in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
My wife has given her 07 Mariner AWD very high marks for its performance in this winter's snow. She's really happy with the little thing and, consequently, I'm happy (since she isn't crabbing about it).

On the other hand, since I'm driving the old Conturd that used to be her daily driver, I'm ready for a 4WD/AWD of my own, maybe in an F250.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
My wife has given her 07 Mariner AWD very high marks for its performance in this winter's snow. She's really happy with the little thing and, consequently, I'm happy (since she isn't crabbing about it).

On the other hand, since I'm driving the old Conturd that used to be her daily driver, I'm ready for a 4WD/AWD of my own, maybe in an F250.
The way some talk, a Escape is as good as 4x4 F250.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
Originally Posted by wptski
The way some talk, a Escape is as good as 4x4 F250.
I can haul more firewood in an F250...

Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 PM
danmansjimmy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wptski
I had a '73 Blazer with 11x15s Dick Cepec(spell check) Armstrong Tru-Tracs that could run down to 5psi.

You have a open differential, front and rear.

The AWD term is the most misused term in the auto industry. The same exact system is used in the Edge, Fusion and Escape but the emblem on my Escape shows 4WD but the other are tagged as AWD. Even the Ford Manuals refer use both terms because they are both the same.

Regardless of driving conditions, every time one leaves from a dead stop, you get rear wheel torque. I use a Scanguage-II coded to monitor rear wheel torque. I have never seen more than 35% rear wheel torque even when floored on snow with the traction control ON or OFF. I have yet to see the so-called increased rear wheel torque with front slippage.

In order to be called a true AWD, you need a clutch pack at every wheel. The Acura SH-AWD has a clutch at both rear wheels. I've discussed this in other forums before but it that Ford seems to think that they can use the AWD term because of the added traction control.

The proper term would be A4WD for automatic 4WD as that's all it is.
makes no sense, so because acura made a different setup for awd, that makes it a rule for must be awd? Awd was around before '04 when they started to manufacture the sh-awd. also that setup allows for a max of 40% rear wheel torque and that on the RL model. In all others its only 30%. at the setup was designed for cars for performance and cornering not plowing through the snow

Last edited by danmansjimmy; 02-04-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: adding on
Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by danmansjimmy
makes no sense, so because acura made a different setup for awd, that makes it a rule for must be awd? Awd was around before '04 when they started to manufacture the sh-awd. also that setup allows for a max of 40% rear wheel torque and that on the RL model. In all others its only 30%. at the setup was designed for cars for performance and cornering not plowing through the snow
No, they are just closer to real AWD.

The Escape is marketed as 4WD and although the Edge, Fusion, etc. system is exactly the same, it's refered to as AWD. The shop manuals toss the two terms back/forth.

At FordVehicles.com there was a selectable moving graphic of a AWD Fusion. You could select one of the 3/4 driving conditions and it showed power being deverted to the wheel(s). One was a dry "S" road and it showed power being deverted side to side. This system doesn't devert power from side to side only back to front. I guess that's why Ford pulled that graphic as it was totally wrong.

AWD stands for All Wheel Drive, correct? The standard open differential will split the power between each wheel providing they both have traction otherwise the one with the least amount gets the power. The same goes for 4WD, that's why it's wise to get a LSD or locker if available.

I know that they have traction control now and I "think" that's where they thought that they could now use the AWD term. Above 62mph, TC doesn't use the ABS function or braking the spinning wheel.

Here's an interesting video about 4WD/AWD systems although the Ford system isn't tested: 4WD/AWD

Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 AM
tonyford
Elder User
I knew I should of bought a Subaru, damn!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tonyford
I knew I should of bought a Subaru, damn!
The video just goes to show you how sometimes things don't work as advertised. I think that an Escape should climb on the first part of the test but that's because it doesn't care if the front wheels have traction or not, you always have rear wheel torque when leaving from a stop.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 AM
cooljman1
Senior User
my wife's mariner dose great in the snow it is a little weard going around a corner the rear end will slide around untill the 4wd kicks in but it hasn't failed us yet. deffentaly not a true 4x4 but in the show it works just fine.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cooljman1
my wife's mariner dose great in the snow it is a little weard going around a corner the rear end will slide around untill the 4wd kicks in but it hasn't failed us yet. deffentaly not a true 4x4 but in the show it works just fine.
Untill the 4wd kicks in?? If your stopped before the turn, it's in 4WD. It's in 4WD also if you slowed down and try to accelerate through the turn. Since there isn't a dash indicator showing when 4WD has been activated, most go by what the salesperson or brochure leads one to beleive which isn't true. The "On Demand" wording is all BS.

Well, at least I'm not alone with having the rear end coming around on me!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
x3 mine does it to! I had a 97 Explorer awd that did have the rear traction loc not sure about the front and it was a tank in deep snow.My 01 Escape goes just as will except for the turns and the rear sliding.But its great in the snow.I don't use the 4x4 that much mostly in the driveway or parking lot just to use it about every month.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach
x3 mine does it to! I had a 97 Explorer awd that did have the rear traction loc not sure about the front and it was a tank in deep snow.My 01 Escape goes just as will except for the turns and the rear sliding.But its great in the snow.I don't use the 4x4 that much mostly in the driveway or parking lot just to use it about every month.
This isn't a good trait for a 4WD!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:36 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Not to go off on a tangent, but I think there are many people who think 4Wheel Drive is 4 Wheel Stop. Just because they can GO in the snow does not mean they can stop any quicker than anyone else or any other vehicle. Some drivers of 4WD or AWD vehicles get over confident and this is what causes accidents.