1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advice on how to pull a motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 AM
FLUSHED UP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on how to pull a motor

I'm ready to pull a 5.0 out of a 86 merc wagon. I have a shop crane, but I'm not sure where to attach to the motor. I would like to pull the tranny and motor together. What would be the best or easiest way to do it?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
remove as much of the rad, fan, front as possible. sometimes you have to pull the a/c and alternator too.. use a leveling bar.

disconnect the drive shaft.. if you don't drain the tranny first, then tape a ziplock bag to the tailshaft with ducttape to keep the tranny fluid from getting all over.

disconnect the exhaust and speedo, shift linkage, etc attachments to the combo

support the back of the tranny with something removable (small jack), remove the tranny mount/support bolts.

hook up the engine hoist to the leveling bar, leveling bar to the engine.
lift, disconnect the engine mounts.
lift & level.. then using the leveling bar, rotate the mess forward and up over the front of the car. at one point you will have this about 45 degrees tilt..

once you get the engine clear you can start to level out again

I usually connect the leveling bar to the engine headers.

Sam

Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
generally i find a bolt hole up front3/8ths or better and one of the trans bolts diaganaly sometimes if your lucky there are lift lugs on the motor if this is your first time pulling a motor get the book or find some help when you do it !!!it is safer with two looking for that last wire or bracket left hooked up !! and you will need help guiding it out if you don't want to hurt anything take your time !!!if you rush you will break something...I know from experiance !!or worse get hurt ..the newer stuff.and yes this is newer has lots of ground wires and brackets...you'll do fine,,,

Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
That engine might have lifting loops on opposite corners. If not I use a 7/16" grade 5 or better bolt in the front of one head to attach my lifting chain. Then opposite head at the back of the engine gets the other bolt. You may have interference with the cross-over pipe that's bolted to the back of the heads - its part of the emissions package.

Pulling the trans with the engine means you'll attach your lift chain a little farther back than you would if lifting the engine alone.

Remove as much of the grill/radiator support as you can so you can get your crane/cherry-picker as close to the car as possible.

Good advice in the posts above.