Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Black CPS Proves Again to Lower PERDELS

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:24 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Black CPS Proves Again to Lower PERDELS

I had another member named Alan ( Cavitation ) bring his truck over to my shop for a little CPS comparison. His truck is a 2000 with a manual transmission. He was having a #8 Failure when running a CCT.

We tested everything using stock tuning! Oil temp was right around 160* for all the tests. Since the truck is a manual the PERDELS were lower than those on an auto.

I charted average and max PERDELS for the runs that were recorded using my AE software. As you can see the Black CPS (International) dropped the PERDELS on #8. Running the CCT with the black CPS resulted in the test passing. Both the gray and dark blue CPS's caused the CCT to fail for #8.

This proves even more to me that the black CPS is far superior to the latest ones produced.

The black CPS we used was an International 1825899C93 that I had picked up from Riffraff Diesel recently. Diesel O-Rings.com also has them available on their website at this time.

I had done these same tests on mine last spring, but Alan was wanting to do the same testing on his, and I already had the various cam position sensors for the test. I also wanted to run them on a truck with a manual transmission as the tuning is different compared to the auto trucks.

Here is what we found on Alan's truck.

I ran the recording function for roughly a minute and then used Excel to put the data together. I decided to graph the MAX and the Average just to show a comparison.

Here is the MAX PERDELS test results

Here is the Average test results

Here are the results ran in my truck from my most recent test after the FRx was installed. (The graph appears more smooth, but it is because my PERDEL range was set at 7%, while the one for Alan's truck is set at 4%)

Sensors used:

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-24-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent info... but what is "PERDELS"?

Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by papadelogan
Excellent info... but what is "PERDELS"?

^^x2 im just a simple redneck. you went over my head with that

Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Percent deceleration.

It's a cylinder contribution test.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

PERDELS is the percent of deceleration of each cylinder. When you run a cylinder contribution test ( CCT ) it will often fail on #3 & #8 due to the recall Gray CPS, for most you can feel a slight miss at idle or maybe a rougher idle. If you go back to the black CPS it will greatly improve the idle.

The biggest problem I have is when you have a problem and go to a repair shop they run a CCT and will tell you that the injector is bad based off of the code pulled. They fail to re-run the CCT after the replacement to see if it passes. The cost of this unneeded replacement is usually $350 or more.

The gray CPS was a fix for the black ones failing. But they need to go back and look at the fix and do it properly. The dark blue CPS was supposed to be an improvement over the gray one, but the PERDELS tell the truth.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
still over my head

i think i got it now

Last edited by bcaughhorn; 12-24-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: it was explained as i was typing my message
Old 12-24-2010, 12:53 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it worth paying more for a black one that is almost sure to fail or just use a grey or blue and pretend your getting a little massage when it may/may not shake bit at idle

Old 12-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
That's a great diagnostic run there.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:30 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by rbaker6336
Is it worth paying more for a black one that is almost sure to fail or just use a grey or blue and pretend your getting a little massage when it may/may not shake bit at idle

Sure to fail? I know mine had 60k on it when the recall came out and Ford replaced it. I did replace a few for people I knew that had failures, but the actually reliability rated was never determined. The only reason Ford dis the recall was due to pressure that it could shut down on the road while you were driving and cause an accident. The majority of the people I have seen that had a failure, had it after a shut down. I do know there are a few that I have heard had them while driving.

I have no issues running the OEM black one. If it fails, I am quite certain I can be back running again within a few minutes with the three spares I carry. I also know I have seen a pretty good increase in MPG's, at $3.50 a gallon, buying the black CPS for $48 is not that big of a deal to me. I like the smoother idle and the increase in MPG's, which tells me the engine is more efficient with it.

Just my opinion though!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:43 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What this tells me is I can't wait for my AE to arrive! I'm itching to see what else that thing is gonna tell me about my motor Thanks, Clay!

Old 12-24-2010, 02:10 PM
izzybird
Elder User

Originally Posted by rbaker6336
I have 180,000 miles on my original black CPS. Dad's '01 has over 200,000 with the original. Some go early, others last and last. Hmmm... hope I didn't jinx myself!

Old 12-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just put the black one in mine that I got from Clay & have the gray one in the glove box as a spare. I have the "hybrid choppy idle", and couldn't really tell much of a difference between the two. I never ran a CCT on mine to see if it made a difference. Maybe next time I around someone with AE I'll get that done. I'm curious what it looks like on hybrids...

Old 12-24-2010, 02:38 PM
cavitation
Senior User
I always was a little skeptical myself...can the different CPS really make all that much of a felt difference? I can tell you that I instantly felt the difference in the way the motor idled as soon as I started up my truck with the black CPS. This is with stock injectors. The data that Ken captured really proves what anyone intuitively would feel in the way the truck sounds and runs with a stock motor. If you don't have access to AE and are running the Grey CPS know that you WILL FEEL the difference right away if your truck is anything like mine. I should have my International black CPS installed next week and I will report my hand calculated MPG back to this thread after a tank is run through. As far as a CPS going out...I also just carry a spare. Anything electrical can go out whether it is Grey or Black. Also, there are no reported failure percentages published for any of the pre or post recall CPS available. I spoke with Bob at Diesel O Rings about the Grey and Black unit production. Apparently the Grey CPS production was farmed out to China somewhere while the Black CPS electronics were made here by Borg Warner.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:32 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
So why is the PERDELS significantly higher on #4 than the rest and on #8, it is thru the roof? At #4 it is 0.7 which is significantly higher than most of the others and it is 2.8 on #8 which is thru the roof when compared with the others.

Some have talked about shimming the CPS. Would that change anything?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:44 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I found this somewhere either here or in another site, and I don't really know how/if it really applies, but it is for the CMP in T444E (which I think is the 7.3 PSD) and talks about measuring the CMP air gap. Maybe someone in this thread is more knowledgeable and can explain how it does or does not apply.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
cps_gapmeasure.pdf (57.8 KB, 623 views)

Last edited by jeronlines; 12-24-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: attachment didn't get attached....argh

Quick Reply: Black CPS Proves Again to Lower PERDELS