6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What are water pump failure symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by caere
Well Ford says it's not the heater core. Of course after they install a new one for $400. THen they tested for combustion gases. I suggested they not replace the core and just shut it off (crewcab). THey said it is better to test knowing the heater core works. Fine I'm no diesel tech.

Combustion gases in coolant. THey say head gaskets. THey said they would get working on it asap. I said "Give me my keys". He said "Don't you want it fixed?" I said not by them. I'm taking it to the guy that did my tranny. He's gonna pull the motor out and inspect everything. He's thinking that the heads and block may just need to be decked properly. Worse case I'll be looking at a new long or short block motor. He said it's possible to go with a forged long block too.

Any advantages to a forged block? Or is standard good enough?

I'm gonna still run the same mods. 190's and the Powermax with Eric's Extreme street. I'm guessing at least 500 HP or more.

Any tips on good long block makers?

PS - The tech said they wouldn't refund any money from the 2nd head gasket job. He said I am running lots of HP. I said it's not any worse then the Edge Attitude they suggest and installed for me 5 years ago lol. (head gaskets blew and tranny was ruined within a year) He said his own personal 6.0L has had the head gaskets blow twice. He had them fixed at that shop. I asked, Did you deck your heads? He said no. Lesson learned. Anyone needing a head gasket job should insist on having them checked by a machine shop, not just the Ford tech. procedure!
If it was me I'd refuse to pay for the heater core or demand that they reinstall my old one or both. They were looking for an excuse at YOUR expense. I'd at very least take it up with the general manager or owner of the dealership. Heater core.... I'd want to see ANY documentation from FORD about a heater core making a truck puke. LMAO

As far as the head checking procedure it's allllll about having the correct tools. It's NOT that hard to measure a head. The spec, IIRC, is <.004 measured across the WIDTH of the head, not the length of the head. IMHO that's still way too much for a good seal.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
caere
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, this time the heads will be checked by a machine shop, magnafluxed and pressure tested. Plus the block will be inspected too.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Heater cores are in a bypass circuit just like the coolant filter. The core can stop flow and not effect anything else thus the heater control valve.
Exactly! The only effects the heater core would have on the cooling system are (A) a leak...thus loose of coolant and (B) another "radiator" to cool it down. The heater core could be completely plugged and it would have no effect on the cooling system. The occupants would disagree with me though.

Also, the crew cab trucks have a shut off valve on the "supply" line to the heater core. Is is possible that the valve isn't getting a good vacuum and thus closing from time to time? The tube and "boot" are far from bullet proof...so they could be the issue with your loose of heat in the cab. I'm with Tim, demand to talk to the GM of the dealership. It worked well for me when I had mine at my local dealership last summer...we have a much better relationship when I'm there these days.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 PM
TFCO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issues it ended up being a restricter and heater core. I think the restricter is some where inline with the heater core before. Cotrols coolant flow.