6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Teach me a little about tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Teach me a little about tires

For most of the last 20 years I ran lease vehicles. I never bought tires, I got rid of the truck. I have 18000 miles on my truck now and the Michelin's are doing ok. They may make 40000 miles. I am considering getting tires before then. I do not really go off road to play and if the snow is too deep, I stay in where it's warm. Highway traits are likely more important than traction type off road tires. I would like to stay with at least as big a tire as the stock tires but I see some brands that have tires from 34.5 to 35 inches tall. What about tire width for the stock 20 inch rims? What recommendations do you guys that have experience with tires have for me?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
For most of the last 20 years I ran lease vehicles. I never bought tires, I got rid of the truck. I have 18000 miles on my truck now and the Michelin's are doing ok. They may make 40000 miles. I am considering getting tires before then. I do not really go off road to play and if the snow is too deep, I stay in where it's warm. Highway traits are likely more important than traction type off road tires. I would like to stay with at least as big a tire as the stock tires but I see some brands that have tires from 34.5 to 35 inches tall. What about tire width for the stock 20 inch rims? What recommendations do you guys that have experience with tires have for me?

Thanks

First and foremost...what are you goals fuel economy wise?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:51 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
No loss in fuel economy if possible...really just looking for a tire that provides a good value for the dollars spent. I do not mind paying a premium price for an excellent tire. With that said, the Michelin's on my truck are the first Michelin's I have ever owned. I was excited to see them on my truck. I am a bit disappointed in the way they are wearing.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
No loss in fuel economy if possible...really just looking for a tire that provides a good value for the dollars spent. I do not mind paying a premium price for an excellent tire. With that said, the Michelin's on my truck are the first Michelin's I have ever owned. I was excited to see them on my truck. I am a bit disappointed in the way they are wearing.
Your factory 20 inch wheels are 8 inches wide. I haven't seen a factory 20 inch tire that lasts much past 40k anyways..but other tires out there are going to be heavier which is going to increase your rotational mass and down does the fuel mileage. I hope this makes sense...the wife is talking to me while I'm typing this and I don't wanna get the whole "are you ignoring me" speech

Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Ok she left to go change....lol
Only other tire I could recommend would be the factory Goodyears that were on the previous year model....but they didn't last any longer than 35-40 either...a bit more aggressive than what you have now though (I think) The goodyears were 34.1 inches tall too which is what I assume the Michelins are.
What is wrong with how they are wearing.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:36 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
They are about half gone in 18000 miles. I had hope, being Michelin's, they would go 60000.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
BMCM
Junior User
What I gathered from your post is; your pleased with the tires you have. So, "if it ain't broke...."

Stay on top of the air pressure and mind the front end alignment and the Michelins will pay a dividend.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I would replace the Michelin's with the same tires if they get to 50000 miles. Do not think that will happen...

Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 PM
BMCM
Junior User
Well, I got my fingers crossed!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
My experience has been most factory tires don't last that long. Previous tires I have had in the past get replaced with the exact same ones and they last twice as long for some reason. However my 06 bfgoodrich tires def lasted into the 50s. I dunno man you might be stuck with that mileage of a tire without sacraficing something important.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by sncbluegt
My experience has been most factory tires don't last that long. Previous tires I have had in the past get replaced with the exact same ones and they last twice as long for some reason. However my 06 bfgoodrich tires def lasted into the 50s. I dunno man you might be stuck with that mileage of a tire without sacraficing something important.
Ditto.

My experience, based on my wife's new vehicles, is that the tire manufacturers make tires to two different spec's. The aftermarket tire has more tread depth and seemingly diffierent rubber compound properties.

I have read that the Michelins that we have on our trucks have two different spec's as well for the AT2's.

I suspect that the vehicle manufacturers get reduced pricing because of this and because many people will replace their tires with the same brand that came on the vehicle. Not to mention that if the customer replaces only one or two at a time it locks them in to that brand for a long time.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:32 AM
RedneckTrucker
Junior User
Not sure which treadpattern of the Michelin came on your truck, but if your use keeps you on pavement most of the time then I would leave the AT and move to a M/S Michelin. The Michelins are the best road tires in the world (full disclosure - I worked for Michelin). My M/S tires on my current vehicles (Expedition and Dodge 1500) have been lasting for 85-95K miles. The M/S are smooth, quiet, and very even wearing. AT's by thier nature have a more open treadpattern and thus more opportunity for treadblock deflection, noise, and ultimately wear.

Just my $.03

Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
IIRC, when I looked at the MS series, they do not have the same diameter as the ones on my truck. I may not know what I was looking at though. Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:24 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately the only Michelin tire I see available is the A/T2. I have nothing but good things to say about the Goodyear AT/S tires. My original equipment set on my 06 lasted over 52,000 miles and the only reason I replaced them at that point was it was winter and we were getting snow. Had it been spring or summer, I probably would have gotten another 5-7,000 miles out of them. I also was not very kind to those tires. Quite a few crazy burnout sessions with them.

The second set of Goodyears had about 35,000 miles on them when I traded the truck off and were doing fine. They always provided good rain and snow traction although they are not a very good mud tire. I think any tire with deep tread on these heavy trucks will exhibit what seems to be premature wear during the first half of their useful life. I worry about how fast these Michelins seem to be wearing but at the same time I remember looking at the first set of Goodyears at 15,000 miles and saying man I don't think these things will make 25k! The last 3 or 4/32 of tread seemed to last 2 to 3 times as many miles as the first 3-4/32 do.

For the money, I may just go back to the Goodyear when the time comes. The Michelins have not impressed me thus far and I really hate their penchants for picking up little rocks and slinging them all down the sides of my truck. Another tire I would strongly consider if I didn't end up off road as much as I do would be the Nitto Dura Grappler. It's available in the 275/65/20 size, wears well and is friendly for fuel economy.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
A good point has been made about the wear rate slowing as the miles increase. The tires seem to be wearing less now. Thanks for the help. I will be looking at the suggested tires.

Quick Reply: Teach me a little about tires