6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ford Heater Valve Warning/Fix (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Heater Valve Warning/Fix (with pics)

Fellas,
Ok,
I started this in another thread kinda by accident. You can refer to this thread for a little back ground info, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...th-pics-7.html

In an effort to keep our information on the forum organized I am starting a new thread now...I should've done it in the first place.

Anyway, in summary here is my issue and conclusion:

I noticed my coolant level was low on my degas bottle. After inspecting everything I noticed coolant leaking around my heater control valve (thanks Bpounds). Refer to these pics Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Jayybird's Album: Coolant Leak

Now I am shopping for my replacement part. Here is what I've found,

1. Called up the local dealer and it was about $76

2. ZMANN pointed out ths same part at http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=473 for $47

3. Beachbumcook also suggested checking here (thanks ZMANN for the link), http://www.fordpartswebsite.com/ .

I looked on this website I think I have identified the part, but I am not real sure. Is this it? http://www.partswebsite.com/fordpart...108&type=parts

Thanks fellas for all the help!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I have had a very slow coolant leak that I have been searching for, this gives me another place to search tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Jaybird--I would CALL about the heater valve unless someone can post a part number for it. I think the last link you posted is for the high pressure switch on the AC. I haven't been able to locate the heater valve on the "new" parts program.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
Has anyone asked www.partsguyed.com He's been spot on for me many times in the past.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Jaybird,

You found my leak for me. Just wanted to post and say thanks again. I looked at that valve tonight when I was switching out my downpipe and saw a definate leak from around the top screw in that valve.

I have been loosing a small amount of coolant for months and have been wondering where it's been going, I didn't even think about that valve until you mentioned it.

Thanks again
Jeremy

Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No Problem man, glad I could help!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:43 AM
davidkstyler
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F250 XLT
When is that valve supposed to operate? I was looking at it last week and adjusted the heat - no change. Turned on the AC - no change. The piston is always in the fully extended position.
The heater seems to work normally. The vacuum line is connected. What operates the valve?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

The valve is normally open with no vacuum applied. When the heater control is turned to OFF, or MAX A/C, vacuum should be applied and the valve should close.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 AM
davidkstyler
Elder User
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
The valve is normally open with no vacuum applied. When the heater control is turned to OFF, or MAX A/C, vacuum should be applied and the valve should close.
So does the vacuum line go back to the heater control in the dash?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Yes it does. It actually T's into the air intake door control line. The air intake door is normally open, allowing air to come in from the outside. When the control is in the OFF or MAX A/C positions, vacuum is applied to air intake door control motor, closing it. This prevents air from coming in from the outside. This causes recirculated air with the fan on in MAX A/C, and no air (because there is no fan running) in the OFF position.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
davidkstyler
Elder User
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
Yes it does. It actually T's into the air intake door control line. The air intake door is normally open, allowing air to come in from the outside. When the control is in the OFF or MAX A/C positions, vacuum is applied to air intake door control motor, closing it. This prevents air from coming in from the outside. This causes recirculated air with the fan on in MAX A/C, and no air (because there is no fan running) in the OFF position.
Thanks for the quick answers. I'll search for the old vacuum pump that I haven't used for years! Since the heater is working correctly I probably have vacuum, but I'll check that first and then use the pump to operate the valve. Sounds like it should be a quick check.

I just re-read your post and you said that the valve only operates in the Max AC or Off position. I don't think that I tried either of those positions on the heater. Maybe I don't have a problem, I'll check tonight.

Went out at lunch time and it is closing on Max AC and Off. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by davidkstyler; 12-20-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Reading too fast!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 PM
rocky1074
Elder User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Jaybird--I would CALL about the heater valve unless someone can post a part number for it. I think the last link you posted is for the high pressure switch on the AC. I haven't been able to locate the heater valve on the "new" parts program.

I believe this is the part number (partsguyed.com)
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="tabletext" valign="top">3C7Z18495AB MSRP 25.70 Price 15.42
VLV ASY_HTR WTR CONT
</td> <td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top">
</td><td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top">
</td><td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top">
</td></tr><tr><td class="tabletext" colspan="3">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Here is another link
Heater Valve - Auto Parts Warehouse

Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM
davidkstyler
Elder User
This is the vacuum operated valve at Auto Parts.

4-Seasons Heater Valve Part Number: FS74865 Manufacturer Number: 74865
  • List Price: $80.64
  • You Save: $12.30
  • Shipping: FREE
  • Our Price: $68.34
  • Low price guarantee
  • <HR class=dvdr><FORM style="DISPLAY: inline; FLOAT: right; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px" action=http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/additem/ method=post sizset="53" sizcache="14">Qty: <INPUT class=spl-qty value=1 name=qty>
    <INPUT type=hidden value=Endeca.226827 name=p_id> <INPUT type=hidden value=e name=catalog_type> <INPUT class=add-to-cart-big onclick="javascript:setAnalyticsPassThroughCookie( 'Product Results', '3');" type=submit value="Submit Query" name=add-to-cart> In Stock </FORM>
4-SEASONS NON-BYPASS VACUUM HEATER VALVE -- 3/4 in. x 3/4 in. fitting size; Vacuum closes heater valve; A high quality, direct fit OE replacement NON-BYPASS vacuum heater valve; With 120-day 4-Seasons limited warranty.
  • Warranty: 120-day 4-Seasons limited warranty
Fits the following 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty</STRONG> submodels:
  • 2005: XLT; All Engines;

Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
4-mos late, but I wanted to share that I too just discovered that my Heater Control Valve is leaking coolant.

Thought it was the dreaded head gasket at first, but continued to follow the trail and it led me right to a very wet control valve.

Wonder why these things area failing? Anyway, I have the 3C7Z-18495-AB (Motorcraft #YG389) replacement on the way from RockAuto ... cost was $14.25.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Skinner F350
Junior User
Mine is also leaking from the philips screw on top of the valve.

Quick Reply: Ford Heater Valve Warning/Fix (with pics)