1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Cold weather fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:42 PM
swimlvr591
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold weather fuel problems

I have a '95 F250, 7.3 powerstroke. When it was in my garage, it started, and drove down the road fine. Took it to work, no problem, but in the morning on my way home (It was like 30 deg. outside), it spit and sputtered all the way home, like it was running out of fuel. I had replaced my fuel pump and filter, and put new hoses on the pump. Anyone know whats happening? I put that anti gel stuff in the tank also.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:54 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Drain some of your fuel into a clear glass jar and let it sit in the bed of the truck overnight. Look at the fuel tomorrow and see if it's clouded or gelled up any.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
You should be fine with regular diesel in the 30 degree temperatures.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Ken_C
Elder User
spiting and sputtering could be the fuel pick up tube in the tank. what happens if you run on the other tank? I have read on these forums that the pick up tube can crack or even break off. hope that isnt the problem. its alot of work. often requiring to drop the tank (while half full of fuel) or pulling the bed off. what about the FPR Screen? is it clear? you did check while changing the filter right? fill the tank to full and see how it runs. check the fpr screen if theres junk on it clean it. a Q-tip will work to get you off the side of the road, but you should unbolt the fpr and really clean the screen for real.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM
marks500
Senior User
How much Fuel is in the Tank when this Is Happening? Like Ken_C Said If The End of the Pick up tube Breaks off it will have these issues. On my older F-250 when it gets below a Quater(1/4) of a Tank it will start spitting and Sputtering at times until I get more fuel.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Iallwork
Elder User
Start with what F350-6 said. Could be some water in the fuel canister if your lucky. The water should drain out first.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Ah what the hell I'll jump in.
Left for work at 6:15 this morning, 13° outside. Truck ran fine. Wife calls at 8, her car won't start. Jump in the truck and head for home and it died on me on the highway. Got it running once, made it about 300 yards. 19° degrees outside. I put some diesel 911 in the tank, take the lid off the bowl and its got liquid diesel in it, but had some floaters. Dumped a little 911 in the bowl.
Got it started, it idled for about 5 minutes and died. Won't fire up and run to save its life now. Got a tow back to the office at least.
There was no fuel in the valley, so the pump should be okay. But when I cracked the drain lever after it quit the last time, no fuel came out. I'm hoping it will warm up enough today that I can get it running.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
yeah i noticed some sputtering saturday night, it was real cold, around 20's and i came down a long stretch and rose the rpms slow to load then matted it, sputter sputter... woosh! did that 2 times then went and got fuel hasnt done it since. interesting

Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Do any of you with fuel troubles have the heater disconnected? If it's working you should not have this problem. The tank could possibly still gell up but not after it's been running for a few minutes. warm fuel flows back to it right next to the inlet pipe and should be breaking up any gelled fuel fast. Just wondering.

And I haven't seen anyone here yet that has switched to winter grade. The company delivering mine says it's only good to 30 degrees so I've been running that stanadyne performance formula in it just in case. We've gotten in the low teens a few times already.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:37 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RRranch
Do any of you with fuel troubles have the heater disconnected? If it's working you should not have this problem. The tank could possibly still gell up but not after it's been running for a few minutes. warm fuel flows back to it right next to the inlet pipe and should be breaking up any gelled fuel fast. Just wondering.

And I haven't seen anyone here yet that has switched to winter grade. The company delivering mine says it's only good to 30 degrees so I've been running that stanadyne performance formula in it just in case. We've gotten in the low teens a few times already.
My fuel heater is not unplugged. I'm fairly certain they've been selling winter blend since October up here.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:56 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
you might want to test the heater then. I would. I wish they would switch to winter grade here. We get pretty cold for Texas and are at 3500 feet so it would be nice. I did test a batch the other day. the glass jars outside over night. It looked like apple jelly in the morning. That was untreated. The jar that came out of my farm tank that had the stanadyne stuff was ok. I never used this stuff before so was just checking. That was a 14 degree night.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RRranch
you might want to test the heater then. I would. I wish they would switch to winter grade here. We get pretty cold for Texas and are at 3500 feet so it would be nice. I did test a batch the other day. the glass jars outside over night. It looked like apple jelly in the morning. That was untreated. The jar that came out of my farm tank that had the stanadyne stuff was ok. I never used this stuff before so was just checking. That was a 14 degree night.
The fuel in the bowl when I pulled the filter out today was liquid. I think the problem was/is in the tank. I've got it on a trickle charger now, hoping that one charged up battery will be enough to get it to crank so I can get it home.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
Also, Just so were clear, our trucks have a mechanical fuel pump. that means the fuel pump is driven off a lobe of the cam shaft. SO if you open the fuel bowl drain with the engine off, nothing should come out. an exception would be if the lid was lose and air is getting in the bowl... but the engine needs to be running to get anything to drain out.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:51 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ken_C
Also, Just so were clear, our trucks have a mechanical fuel pump. that means the fuel pump is driven off a lobe of the cam shaft. SO if you open the fuel bowl drain with the engine off, nothing should come out. an exception would be if the lid was lose and air is getting in the bowl... but the engine needs to be running to get anything to drain out.
Even w/o the lid cracked you should be able to get the bowl to drain.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Even w/o the lid cracked you should be able to get the bowl to drain.
Not on my truck...

Quick Reply: Cold weather fuel problems