1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

95 7.3 Keeps Shutting Down

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Ebrazil
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I didn't check the spring. But the darnest thing happened to me yesterday. After I looked on the computer doing the research that 427Fordman suggested, I decided that I had nothing to lose; the truck ain't running and if I have to purchase an aftermarket fuel/water pre-filter units or make my own I haven't lost anything. So I put the fuel pump inline just after the tank selection circuitry with an inline filter. Wired it up. Didn't remove the mechanical fuel pump nor the camshaft pin. Started the truck up. It ran rough intitially. Then I energized the FP and the truck engine immediately level. It had a slight miss, but I changed the FPR last week and noticed the miss. I'll put my old one back on. Just so happened, before I could finish, my brother needed a tow home. So I decided, no time like the present to test the vehicle. He temporarily interrupted my project, but I strapped everything up and road tested it. Aside from the slight miss, when it was given the throttle, I had no miss. I towed his truck back and mine did not even act like it was pulling anything; no stalls, no choke downs, runs beautifully.

Now for the big test. I drove it to a friends house (at night) which was about 25 miles one way on the express way. On my way down, I stopped to get something to eat and noticed that I was smoking. Pulled to the side and had to disengage the fire to the FP because fuel was spewing everywhere. After spewing a few vulgarities myself (what the fu....) I was so far away from home so I decided to continue to my friends house before I examined it closer. I didn't want to be stranded again. To my surprise, I made it to my friends house, which was about a mile away, without stalling from fuel starvation. I repositioned and tightened the clamp around the return line from the FPR and enegized the electrict FP to see if I has sealed the leak. No leaks. So I decided to run the manual pump and if on my way home it started to starve for fuel, I'd reconnect the electric FP. On the express way at about 55-60 mph, no problem. I releved pressure from the shrader valve. Fuel gushed out in a solid stream. I relieved pressure again and fuel gushed out (tomorrow in the day I will check the pressure). I drove all the way home without incident. Go figure.

What I can't understand is that after all this time and money, it pumps and holds pressure. Just started the truck at 1:00 a.m., starts fine without the electric FP. Pressure strong from the FPR. Why do I have all this fuel pressure now, even though the mechanical FP has to pull through the electric pump and an inline filter near the tank? If the truck continues to run this good, I'm leaving everything in place and will drive it knowing that if it decides to quit on me again, I have the electric in place.

In the poetic and profound words of Forest Gump, "I was runnniiinng." And I'll continue until something else happens. What do you guys think?

Old 12-25-2010, 06:30 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Throwin out ideas, maybe you had a bunch of air in the system? Maybe had a chunk of crap in the line and pushed it out with the elec. fuel pump? I really don't know, just tryin to give ideas..

Old 12-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Ebrazil
Junior User
First off Merry Christmas. I don't know what happened but I'm a movin'. Up this morning and it drive fine. One note I should mention, when I connected the filter to line from the tank selector, I cut the end off of the line. Maybe it was sucking air from the supply line. I wish had discovered this almost $300 later. I will keep you all updated to the progress. Enjoy you Christmas.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Merry christmas to you too. Hope all goes well for you and do keep us updated.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Ebrazil
Junior User
I will. Ssme to you.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Ebrazil
Junior User
Guys, I've discovered the problem with my truck not running. It turns out that Riverrat41, Rick-Action4478 and John-Jnortonjr hit on the issue earlier but I didn't completely follow through. My solution may resolve a lot of the problems others are having. Before Christmas, I purchased an inline fuel pump and installed it (see previous posts). Because my return line from the FPR was not completely tight, the FP pressure caused fuel to squirt. I remember when I intalled the inline filter, I put disconnected the bottom fuel line from the tank selector and cut the crimpped end. I remember thinking that the hose would be a bear to remove because it would be hard to pull off. Well, it actually came off without much fuss. I didn't think about it then, otherwise I wouldn't have installed the pump, but it came off too easy. This was were I was sucking air.

I only checked the fuel lines from the selector back when I dropped the tanks. I did not check the lines the fuel suction line in front of the selector. Consequently, I spent about $300.00 to resolve an issue that cost approximately $12.00 (the cost of new fuel line and clamps). My dad always said that education costs. Hopefully, my expense and stupidity will help others to check the hoses first before buying a new mechanical pump or even as I was about to, change to an expensive fuel water separator.

Listen, thanks all you guys for your insight and support. It has been priceless.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Ebrazil
Junior User
P.S. I didn't remove the inline FP just in case I'm off somewhere and the mechanical one decides to give out. I can just connect the hotwire to the battery and viola' instant fuel pressure to get home.

Oh, and by the way, the mechanical pump is pulling even through the inline filter and electric pump.

God bless.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger here,we have all done stuff that cost us in the long run.That is the main reason I am here is to learn from some of the best folks in the country.
I will be intersted to know if you can run the electric fuel pump with the manual pump?Not that I have a OBS anymore but I have had two in the past and thought about the electric pump then
Glad you got it fixed...Take care

Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Ebrazil
Junior User
Yes I ran the electric pump with the manual connected. I noticed that the engine leveled nicely. No misses. I drove it with the two pumps about 30 miles before I noticed the leak. That's when I disconnected it. But I kid you hot it responded very well. I might experiment a little more and will let you know. Take care yourself .