1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 11-19-2014, 03:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

04 Expy :How to change burned out headlight bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 PM
FORDFAN71
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Expy :How to change burned out headlight bulb?

I go and buy a new bulb to replace burned out one...how hard can this be?I go home and remove 2 small bolts above headlamp.Not sure what else to remove,I cannot get the headlamp out..and it needs to come out some in order to get to bulbs.Any help would be appreciated, I did try to look for other threads and info here and could not find it.This is prob, considered so easy that noone asks..lol

Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Go to; https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp
find your manual
go to page 96 of the manual
Replacing headlamp bulbs

1. Make sure that the headlamp control is in the OFF position.

2. Open the hood.
3. At the back of the headlamp,
remove the two headlamp assembly
retainer bolts.
4. Loosen the vertical bolt on the
backside of the headlamp assembly.
Do not remove it.
5. Slide headlamp assembly forward
and off of guide ribs to expose the
back of the bulb and wiring connector.
6. Pull off the bulb covers.
7. Once the bulb covers are
removed, the bulbs can be removed
by turning them counterclockwise
and then pulling the bulbs straight
out.

Handle a halogen headlamp bulb carefully and keep out of
children’s reach. Grasp the bulb only by its plastic base and do
not touch the glass. The oil from your hand could cause the bulb to
break the next time the headlamps are operated.

8. Insert the glass end of the new bulb into the headlamp assembly.
When the grooves in the plastic base are aligned, turn the new bulb
clockwise to install.

9. Reinstall the bulb covers.

10. Replace the headlamp assembly and tighten all three retainer bolts to
secure.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
The directions seem easy enough, but the first time you actually try to do step 5 you will think it can't be correct. The first time taking the assembly out is a nightmare. For fear of damaging something the first time I did it, it took maybe an hour and a half for the first one. This past weekend I did two in 20 minutes. I think the situation is that until the retainers have been taken out a time or two they have a really tenacious grip. Another problem is there is no good hand hold to get some leverage with. The assembly is retained on either side by press in grommets - try getting one side loose and then the other. I suggest doing the outer edge first. You are going to have to pretty much pull as hard as you can. Pay special attention to the inside edge of the headlight and the fascia - there are molded "wings' on the side of the headlight that can catch the fascia and prevent the light from coming out. You can see these if you get a flashlight and flex the fascia in a bit. One of mine was particularly tough in this regard so after I got it out I dremeled off part of the wings to give it a little more room for the next time. You may also want to put a little bit of painters tape along the fascia under the headlight and alongside to prevent scratches.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
dirtmonkey11
Senior User
Pretty much everything there is to say is summed up by "alwaysfords41" and "shorebird". All I can say is take your time and don't pry on anything to harshly. Also when you are removing connectors do not pull on the wires going into the connector. I have seen a bunch of people do that to get some extra pulling power and they end up either breaking the connector or pulling the wires right out of the connector. When you replace the bulbs replace them in pairs, otherwise you may have one light brighter that the other. As for good bulbs to use I have Sylvania Ultra star Gold, they are by far the best headlights I have ever owned in any vehicle. They are a little pricey but completely worth it the first time you drive and night. They are extremely bright and project the light onto signs and road lines, but they don’t blind the person in front of you.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:55 AM
FORDFAN71
New User
Thanks guys.Everything was as you said...boy what a pain in the butt..you keep thinking that you are doing something wrong.I thought that the vertical bolt was some sort of "aiming" bolt.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDFAN71
Thanks guys.Everything was as you said...boy what a pain in the butt..you keep thinking that you are doing something wrong.I thought that the vertical bolt was some sort of "aiming" bolt.
Actually it is, but don't be fooled - it really doesn't do much.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 AM
jbtecnico1
Senior User
Thumbs up Headlamp removal made easy...

This is an old post but maybe this update will help. No prying needed...just remove the plastic radiator cover to expose a torx bolt that holds the fascia/front grill in place, one on each side for each headlamp assembly. Then ease the tabs out and move the fascia/grill down and away...the headlight assembly comes right out...piece of cake. You'll probably need eight replacement plastic fasteners for the plastic radiator cover...mine were trashed after prying them out. I have pics if anyone needs them...not sure how to get pics into the Forum.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM
ronjeremy6
Senior User
Reviving an oldie. I pulled, twisted, busted knuckles and wore off finger tips trying to remove my right headlight assembly per the owners manual. One hour later I grabbed the iPad and found this thread. 10 minutes later and I'm good as new after following the above instructions!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
It isn't exactly easy, but once you've done one it isn't so bad. The second time you have to pull them out it is much easier. Just put fresh bulbs in my 04 last week for the first time, took a half hour total for both.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Matt03Expy
Tuned
I will tell you this much- It is not possible for the H/L assembly to be removed without first removing the front fascia on mine. There is just not enough room. I almost broke the lamp assy trying. Very stupid design.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Matt03Expy
Tuned
Alright, rant over. I cut the tabs off the headlights so I don't have to go through that again the next time.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:25 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
With a third hand or a piece of plastic you can flex the fascia away. Indeed a bad design, but once you do it, it is easier the next time. Tab removal is also a good fix.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:08 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt03Expy
Alright, rant over. I cut the tabs off the headlights so I don't have to go through that again the next time.
With my kid's Subaru we had to remove the front grill and all trim pieces around the headlight to be able to remove the assemble just to change one side marker lamp. It was about a 2 hour job in 20 degree weather. Then for my neighbor's Altima the battery had to be removed to be able to change the headlight lamp on that side. Those manufactures can learn something from Dodge. On my Dodge van I open the hood, pull up 2 tabs, slide the headlight assemble forward and change the bulb. That's literally a 5-minute job if you're taking your sweet ole time.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:23 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alloro
With my kid's Subaru we had to remove the front grill and all trim pieces around the headlight to be able to remove the assemble just to change one side marker lamp. It was about a 2 hour job in 20 degree weather. Then for my neighbor's Altima the battery had to be removed to be able to change the headlight lamp on that side. Those manufactures can learn something from Dodge. On my Dodge van I open the hood, pull up 2 tabs, slide the headlight assemble forward and change the bulb. That's literally a 5-minute job if you're taking your sweet ole time.
alloro,

Do I need to remind you that this is the 97-2006 Expy and Nav forum?

Not a Subaru, Toyota, or even a Dodge forum.

Just thought I'd pass on a friendly reminder!

For others watching and wondering, here's a link to clarify.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lant-leak.html

Old 03-01-2015, 11:43 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
alloro,

Do I need to remind you that this is the 97-2006 Expy and Nav forum?

Not a Subaru, Toyota, or even a Dodge forum.
Apples and oranges. You were attempting to resolve an issue in this forum based on a 2011 design, I'm not. He and I engaged in a discussion on the difficulties when encountering idiotic designs used when having to change bulbs. His problem had already been solved and was not being mislead by our continued conversation. If you want to be a ******** be my guest, but you should at least try and not make yourself look like one in the process.

Quick Reply: 04 Expy :How to change burned out headlight bulb?