2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 troubles.... Thinking about a Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 PM
driller tom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 troubles.... Thinking about a Tundra

Hey guys My 07 has just been giving me troubles for about a month now, First the plugs and cam phazers went out, the rear end and now the transmission shutters all the time!! Im really considering a tundra just cuz toyotas are for known realiability. I know this is a ford site but I would really like to hear from people that have had a tundra. Im looking for good and bad!!
Tom

Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 PM
dgndngrngr84
Senior User
How many miles you got on it Tom? Used or new?

I'm not going to tell you what I really think of Toyota trucks haha, especially with the rust through frame issue with the Tacomas. One good thing though is that the Tundra and F-150 share a fully boxed frame.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:03 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I seem to recall hearing an issue with the Tundra tailgates. Something about they wouldn't support more than 200 lbs. I think the first couple of years of Tundra production resulted in some serious growing pains for Toyota.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
I've had a Tundra for almost 54k miles. Mine is an '07, early build date.

The first 1000 miles was easy... the rest not so easy. IT has PLENTY of power, that I continually have put to use.

I've put over 2000 lbs in the bed and it didn't sit on it's bump stops (probably about 2300 lbs + about 400 in cab). I wouldn't drive cross country like that, but it could be done.

As far as issues, mine has a squeaky dash (running around on the farm did that one), dash doesn't line up in a few places (probably the dealership replacing my radio), radio went out...

As far as mechanical issues - water pump at 49k miles as well as new serpentine belt (both warranty), and a new battery - stock ones suck... I have a diehard platinum in there now and it is great.

I've lifted it and put on 34.5" tall tires with a brush guard. I see almost 16 mpg at 70 and like 14 at 80. Not great, but it can be done. I don't mind the gas mileage so much as the small tank - 20 gallons before low fuel - but it does have a 6 gallon reserve.

Here's a current pic of her with the tires and lift.

Next to stock.

As far as the frames - they're full box in front, reinforced c in the middle (cab) and open c in the rear. It does bounce on teh highway and unless you're in California on those highways, it shouldn't bug ya too much.

The tailgates don't like a lot of weight, but apparently they have been redesigned. As with any tailgate, ya gotta be careful. Heaviest mine has seen is a garden tractor with a person on it and it's splitting a little bit but I don't anticipate it getting worse. It's really just cracked the paint.

No rust issues on the frame.

It has a very stout power train and I would put it up against just about anything in that department.

Any more questions and I"ll be happy to answer them for you.

-rockstate

Old 11-29-2010, 03:20 PM
GwarForAll1021
Elder User
heres some videos about the frames of our trucks compared to a tundra.

boring but informational
YouTube - Ford F150 vs Toyota Tundra - Frame Strength

pretty funny
YouTube - 2009 Ford F150 Vs. 2008 Toyota Tundra

Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
if you have any selfworth you would not buy a toyota, respect yourself and drive a ford.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:35 PM
iilijah
Junior User
if you want a toyota you should buy one. if you think you will be problem free, then your mistaken. every vehical has its problems, even the ones you pay millions for. I have owned 7 fords and 1 toyota. Toyota makes a good vehical, but i love my fords.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Dude first of all. I have watched many Toyota's come and go. They are pure junk if you own a farm or business and plan on using them. Off roading them, well don't get me started on the suspension. I watched several videos on the net that were ford hosted. Including a few that show the Toyota's bed bouncing against the cab and scratching the paint. I didn't believe that to be true till I seen one of those new Tundras on the highway a few days ago, and I do live in KY we have some pretty bump roads due to all the coal mining, and big rigs so its like the course ford had setup for the tests they did, and I literally could see the Toyota doing exactly what it did in that video.

The problem Toyota has, is its got a lot of catching up to do. I'd buy a Chevrolet before I'd buy a Tundra, and that is saying A LOT, considering I hate GM. I personally cannot stand the new body style on the chevys, the GMC's look a lot better, but even still I hate the old crappy motors they use. The 5.3L Vortec is the biggest pos, and the trucks sit entirely to low on the frames... I dk why you are having the issues you are. You must be putting that truck to work though. I haven't had my F150 very long, and am starting to worry about how much money that I am gonna have to put into it, but so far its got plenty of pulling power, and take off. Even with the fact I have a sputtering issue that I have yet to be able to resolve.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
AspenGreenMetallic
Junior User
Sounds odd that your cam phasers went out on your 07. This issue was cleared up in 2006 from what I read on various other posts.
Anyway, I drive an 06 F150. Love it!
Had an 09 Tundra at work. Not a bad truck. Drove 50,000 miles on it in the first 6 months the company had it. No issues. Had BFG AT's on the 18" stock aluminum wheels, Rancho shocks, brushguard with MileMarker hydraulic winch. Not one of those electric units. It was pretty badass for a work truck if you ask me. We drove this Tundra pretty hard. Had either our research boat/trailer or our Haulmark enclosed trailer hitched up 99.9% of the time. One funny thing, it had a 6 speed autostick that never would shift into 6th while in auto mode. But if you went through the gears manually, that was the only time it would go in top gear. (Unloaded and no trailer of course).
So all-in-all, a Tundra is an alright truck and I have put one through some serious roads from Minnesota to the East Coast, as well as plenty of off-road trails.

But I would have rather done it in a F150!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
wonder if this driller tom is just trolling on the FTE to get reactions. after all who comes to FTE to talk about how fords are crap and toyotas are great! time for

Old 11-30-2010, 12:38 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AspenGreenMetallic
Sounds odd that your cam phasers went out on your 07. This issue was cleared up in 2006 from what I read on various other posts.
Anyway, I drive an 06 F150. Love it!
Had an 09 Tundra at work. Not a bad truck. Drove 50,000 miles on it in the first 6 months the company had it. No issues. Had BFG AT's on the 18" stock aluminum wheels, Rancho shocks, brushguard with MileMarker hydraulic winch. Not one of those electric units. It was pretty badass for a work truck if you ask me. We drove this Tundra pretty hard. Had either our research boat/trailer or our Haulmark enclosed trailer hitched up 99.9% of the time. One funny thing, it had a 6 speed autostick that never would shift into 6th while in auto mode. But if you went through the gears manually, that was the only time it would go in top gear. (Unloaded and no trailer of course).
So all-in-all, a Tundra is an alright truck and I have put one through some serious roads from Minnesota to the East Coast, as well as plenty of off-road trails.

But I would have rather done it in a F150!
Regarding the 6 speed that has caused a lot of debate.

Seems as if you have it on tow-haul mode, you can only go in 6th with the Sequential shifter or somethin, if my memory serves correctly.

The Tundra ain't a bad truck, and if you look at them all, they all have flaws. It sure doesn't ride GREAT on the highway, but it's not nearly as bad as my buddy's 3/4 ton Chevrolet.

Btw, regard frames, Ford uses an open C in the rear, as do semis and such. I don't understand the suspension comment? My front suspension is much better off NOW with the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift stuffed under there than stock, and all the parts are pretty darn stout if you ask me.

I miss my old Expedition and with the new engines, I'm itchin for a 5.0.

-rockstate

Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 AM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Tundra is garbage, and it don't matter what you stuff under it. The fact remains that no bed should move like that. I work with construction, and on a daily basis I put up with these trucks. Tundra is garbage. We have the most trouble out of them. They are simply not good for working, or taking off road. They are good for going out on the high way and that is about it.

There is nothing that will make me take Tundra over F150...

Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
wonder if this driller tom is just trolling on the FTE to get reactions. after all who comes to FTE to talk about how fords are crap and toyotas are great! time for
Tom has been around for awhile and is pretty active in other forums so I would say no that is not the case he just wants some information from a place that he has gotten god information in the past. Besides I think the 07 is just his daily driver and I believe he still has several other Fords in his garage.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now for my answer to your question. When I bought my 06 I looked at Fords, Chevys, Toyotas, and Nissans. I wanted to get information on everything that was in my range and had what I wanted and needed. I turned almost at once away from the Chevy and Nissan as they had did have what I was looking for in one package. The Toyotas I stuck with for a bit but I am in construction and use my truck both for personal and work. I am usually loaded with something big or small in the bed and most days have a trailer behind me as well. The Toyotas I drove were alright but when I talked to some guys who I work with who had Toyotas they told me about the issues they have with pulling on a regular basis. They basically laid it out that the truck was nice for the cab but once you loaded it or pulled with it on a regular basis it started to fall apart. Now this was on the 06's and 07's so maybe they fixed some of the issues but with my work I decided to stick t what I knew and have not looked back since.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 AM
pete497
Senior User
Why did you have the phasers changed? Are you sure you have a transmission shudder and it's not a misfire problem?

Quick Reply: F150 troubles.... Thinking about a Tundra