Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

sledding

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Prairie Lariat
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 96sherm
I think it was included in the 140$ cost of the first service... I dunno if its necessary or not, I should look closer at the work order, it was the salesman that told me that was part of the first service, I can't remember if the service writer said anything about it or not... Too flippin' excited to get it back and go riding!!
We definitely need more snow. My friend's 2010 polaris 550 seized solid tonight on the trail behind the airport. Not sure what happened but we got it off the trail anyway. I guess he will find out soon.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by skidooman
I have lost a lot of interest in sledding.
I am much the same way. In the 2000/2001 era I made 8500 kms over those two winters, along with a couple mountain trips a year. I havent taken mine out yet - there isnt enough snow to ride here properly. My sled is showroom condition and I intend to only ride in good snow conditions. I have lots of work in the next week or so, then its sled time. We will trailer to 'good snow' areas!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:14 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skidooman
I have lost a lot of interest in sledding
How could you? Thats like saying you lost interest in life... It definately gets a little harder to take off when you want to with kids, but don't lose interest!!!

Originally Posted by Prairie Lariat
We definitely need more snow. My friend's 2010 polaris 550 seized solid tonight on the trail behind the airport. Not sure what happened but we got it off the trail anyway. I guess he will find out soon.
Engine siezed? Not good, hopefully something simple, and under warranty no matter what happened! Was it a shift or touring?

Originally Posted by LaredoF350
We will trailer to 'good snow' areas!
Thats my theory after yesterday. Until we get another good dump of snow, I'll truck my sled to some good stuff, or just leave it parked until conditions are better!!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is snowing here this morning so that is a good start to the day. I plan on going out today to put some miles on my sled.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Prairie Lariat
Posting Guru
It was the 2010 touring 550. He bought it in the states so I think he is SOL with warranty. Not sure what caused it but mag side had a small amount of aluminum specks on the plug.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
That sounds pretty bad, there must be some way he can get warranty. Even if he has to take it back to where he bought it wouldn`t it still be cheaper than paying for a new engine?

Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
He'd likely have to take it back stateside to get warranty, but if it was bought used, he just might be up the creek. I'm not sure how that would go... A new engine would be prolly in the vicinity of 3500 bucks. The 550 is still a relatively simple fan cooled engine, long as there isn't a pile of internal damage, he might be able to fix it himself if he's a little bit inclined. I checked through a couple dealers in the states a couple days ago to see what sleds like I bought were worth. I wouldn't have saved anything on my RMK, but might have on the phazer. Either way, not really worth the hassel for me...local service is worth the extra paid on the toys...

Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Prairie Lariat
Posting Guru
Yeah it was used but still warranty from the states. He got it for 1/2 of what they are in Canada. I don't think it went down to hard but you never know. Hopefully only a few hundred bucks can fix it up if it's just a piston and some cleaning of the cylinder wall, otherwise could be quite costly if the crank got some aluminum in it.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM
AJ46
Senior User
hello

Hey how's it going sherm long time since I last chated with you guys . Been busy with a new job. I see that some one has motor problems not good!!!!! If you have just alum on your pot cyl , you can get that off with muratic acid but you have to be real careful. That most likly has nickelcad cyl . Any how How things beside that sherm. I ve have put about 600km on my old phazer this year.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Prairie Lariat
Posting Guru
They are nikasil lined cylinders which can be good if little damage is done but if they are really scored then $$$ will need to be spent!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:47 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Hi Roy, things are well. Whats your new job? I'll bet you got a new job at the dodge dealer so you can learn more ways to fix? just kidding man, how is that truck treating you anyway? Do you have lots of snow there?

I had a YZ250 that I rebuilt one winter, upon teardown I found some pretty nasty scratches in the cylinder, they are Nikasil lined as well. I had it send away to be re-nik'd, cost me 330 bucks if I remember correctly. Cost me a total 660 bucks for the total top end rebuild. Thats what keeps me buying 2-stroke toys when I can...

Old 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I put a few more miles on the sled yesterday but it was so hard to see I didn't put many miles on. I did pull the kids on a sleigh for awhile they had a hoot doing that. The snow out in the canola stubble is about a foot deep so it made for a nice ride for them.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Collin, is it fairly expensive to rebuild a 670 engine? I have a few kijiji adds out right now, and lots of replies! I dont care too much for power or speed as a 583 has plenty of power for me, I just want the thing to be reliable. Now if i ever go buy a brand new sled.. well then my tastes will change a wee bit.

Regarding the whole 2 stroke vs 4 stroke fuel mileage thing, I was just kinda comparing my little knowledge that I have in bikes! All the 2 stroke bikes ive had have been alot harder on fuel then the 4 strokers! Thats one area I dont know much about though, is the 2 vs 4 in the newer technology.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Prairie Lariat
Posting Guru
Sheldon, I think to rebuild a worn out 670 topend would be around $500 but don't quote me on that. Pistons approximately $100 each depending on what type you get, iron cylinders so they can be bored (maybe $50 a hole) and gasket set for under $100 I would think. That's if you do it yourself. Been awhile though so again don't quote me on those numbers. If memory serves me correct, they may have had uncaged wrist pin bearings which were a bit more difficult to install. (Need a tool).
Of course for a few thousand dollars you can take that 670 to 140hp and lay waste to many bigger sleds and still be trail rideable.

The new 2 strokes are getting close to the 4 strokes for fuel mileage. The skidoo etecs are equal and in some cases better than some 4 strokes which is pretty cool. Skidoo now has the 60 hp ACE 4 stroke that they claim gets 29mpg but it's a new model so who knows. I'm a 2 stroke guy and my next sled will hopefully be an etec. Suppose to get low 20's more mpg and only have to top up the injection oil every few hundred km's. Not much smoke and has an automatic summarization mode for storage.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
On saturday we put on almost 270 kms, I used about 3/4 liter of oil in my oil injection, and about 60 liters of fuel. Thats 13mpg, probably 60/40 play miles/trail miles. Mine smokes at startup, then no more for the day. My wife rode all trail, probably less kms because of no spinnage, burned 40 liters. Half the sled, easier riding, 30% less fuel. If those e-tec Ski-doo's prove to be reliable (I've heard of a few melting), that might be the way to go, but I don't know much about the power/weight ratio of them compared to something like I have.

Quick Reply: sledding