Sponsored by: Moser

1975 Ford Ranger door weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:01 AM
flako
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1975 Ford Ranger door weatherstrip

hey i have a 1975 ford ranger and i just replaced the weatherstrip that goes around the door frame on the cab that seals when you shut the door.i bought the weatherstrip from LMC truck and once i put them on the doors dont fully shut close due to the weatherstripping. im thinking its because their brand new and the rubber is still stiff...is this a problem anybody has also had??how long should it be before the rubber loosens up so my doors shut completely??

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 11-28-2010, 09:07 AM
flako
New User
this is what my truck looks like i recently painted it myself in the past month im still trying to put everything back on it that i took off to do the paint and bodywork on it like trim and emblems

Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 AM
SparkyRnD
Senior User
nice looking truck. From what I have read, most people have this issue after installing new seals. you will need to adjust your striker on the door jamb, and maybe even the hinges too. either that, or keep slamming them until they loosen up. you can search and see what a lot of owners have done as well

Old 11-28-2010, 09:15 AM
flako
New User
thanks man....im new to this site but i did look around on topics.i shut the door and it clips onto the striker good enough that it wont swing open while im driving down the road but it doesnt shut completely it just looks like it the door is cracked open im thinking the seals should loosen up but im wondering how long it would take. i installed them last week.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Fordby4
Senior User
flaka,

Welcome to the forum, having been through this recently, I wouldn't mess with the hinges at all, (my opion only) but adjusting the striker plate for now will work, it will eventually wear, the warmer it is the quicker they will form, I've even used a hair dryer to help form quicker.

good luck

Old 11-28-2010, 09:48 AM
flako
New User
Originally Posted by Fordby4
flaka,

Welcome to the forum, having been through this recently, I wouldn't mess with the hinges at all, (my opion only) but adjusting the striker plate for now will work, it will eventually wear, the warmer it is the quicker they will form, I've even used a hair dryer to help form quicker.

good luck
i dont think i should mess with hinges or striker since before i replaced the seals the doors shut without any problem. and now that its winter time im scared its going to take longer for the seals to loosen up

Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Robertcoupe
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are your doors now?
i just bought new door seals, havent installed them yet, but though to look around here to see if theres any tricks, or anything to look out for.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM
SparkyRnD
Senior User
does anyone have a cross section picture of the correct seals? Mine look like cheapo replacements

Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Robertcoupe
Senior User
this is the door stripping from lmc that just came today,
side note: what kind of glue if any is to be used?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 PM
tikkakoski
Senior User
Originally Posted by flako
this is what my truck looks like i recently painted it myself in the past month im still trying to put everything back on it that i took off to do the paint and bodywork on it like trim and emblems

Hey what color paint is that and where did you get it?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
^^Same question! That is some sharp paint.^^

Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ive found if you use some sort of vinyl/ rubber dressing ( ArmorAll or something like it) It helps to soften them up a bit quicker. And adjusting the striker may still be neccesary for a while.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, the striker is adjustable for a reason.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Robertcoupe
Senior User
what type of glue is used?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
SparkyRnD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Robertcoupe

Mine looks like a cheesy u-channel that was attached with some rtv. Looks like I need to buy some of that to replace mine. I'll try to take a photo and upload here to show the difference.

Quick Reply: 1975 Ford Ranger door weatherstrip