Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Elder User

MAULMAUL is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cylinder diameter

Ok, I didn't have a bore gauge so I used a set of digital calipers to get a rough estimate as to what my cylinder diameter was. All eight cylinders were roughly 4.412" at the top. What should I expect in the way of piston size when I rebuild my 460?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Post Fiend

mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.
Stock B.B size is 4.36.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Elder User

L. Ward has a good reputation on FTE.L. Ward has a good reputation on FTE.
When it comes to cylinder bore, there is no "roughly" about it, and if in doubt you should either borrow a bore gauge or take it by a shop and have them mic it out to make sure what the bore is. That being said, with the stock bore being 4.36, a .060 overbore would put you at 4.42 If you are already at 4.41, you are probably looking at having to go .080 over to clean it up. Thats at the edge of the limit of where you want to overbore a block, and even then you should have it checked to make sure it will handle it. IMO, if its that far out, its time to go junkyarding and find another block.
Speed costs money! How FAST do you want to go? '04 Excursion EB 4x4, 6.0 PSD, '94 F350 Crew Cab (Emergency Response Vehicle), 4x4, carbed 460 , E4OD, 4.10 Gears; '90 F250, carbed 460, E4OD RIP; '78 Bronco 460, C6 4" lift, 38" Swampers RIP
If I helped, please show some love above
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...2-11-10-a.html
Old 12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Elder User

MAULMAUL is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, I found out my block only needs honing. This will allow me use .060 pistons. Evidently it had not been that long since the engine was rebuilt. It is a relief since I didn't want to invest in another block. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
You might find out that it's cheaper to go with another block or go ahead and bore it .080 over. pistons in .060 are almost always custom units

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be the same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:50 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)

Tags
1973, 429, 460, bore, cylinder, diameter, ford, limits, v6, wear