Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Need Help!! No Fuel After IP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Marshall91F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help!! No Fuel After IP!!

I have searched the internet and have not found the fix. There is plenty of fuel going to the Injection pump. I do have electric fuel pump.I cracked the injector lines and no fuel is coming out when cranking. I bought the IP and injectors from Pensacola in April. I checked the Fuel Shutoff and it does click with key on, when I remove and touch the connector. I have used starting fluid with the Glow Plugs unplugged. and it did not do anything. There is no smoke coming out the exhaust when I am cranking the engine. Any advise is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Marshall

Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
their may be air in the IP, but if your truck wont fire on ether you have other problems.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
What happened. Ran fine and died or won't restart after it was shut down.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Marshall91F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by catfish101
What happened. Ran fine and died or won't restart after it was shut down.
Will not start after I shut it off. It was cutting out a little so I put some seafoam in intake to clean it out (it was dirty in there) when it was warm and running. It had a higher rev. like it was gonna runaway for 4 Seconds... then went to normal let idle for a couple Seconds then I shut it down and let sit for 10 min. Then Tried to start it and no start.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:24 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure what your problem is, but never pour any kind of liquid in the intake even very small amounts.

Have you checked the fuel pressure and is it a steady stream of fuel or is there air in it.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 PM
cpetersen
Senior User
have you tried bleeding air out of the lines with the little valve on your fuel filter?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Marshall91F250
Senior User
I do have a steady stream of fuel coming out of the valve. I cracked open the line that goes from the fuel filter housing to the injection pump and there is plenty of fuel going to the pump.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 AM
michbol
Senior User
Sounds like you have air in the system. I had the same problem when I changed out an IP. Took forever to get it running. Crack your lines. Don't use that ether, it is really hard on our engines. An old diesel tech taught me a trick that works much better. Get an old shop rag and a squirt bottle full of gas. Put the rag over the intake and then dribble gasoline from the squirt bottle over the rag while someone is cranking the engine. The engine will fire and it will pump the air out and the fuel in. All you are looking for is the gasoline vapors with this trick. Don't squirt so much that gas drips down into the intake.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by michbol
Sounds like you have air in the system. I had the same problem when I changed out an IP. Took forever to get it running. Crack your lines. Don't use that ether, it is really hard on our engines. An old diesel tech taught me a trick that works much better. Get an old shop rag and a squirt bottle full of gas. Put the rag over the intake and then dribble gasoline from the squirt bottle over the rag while someone is cranking the engine. The engine will fire and it will pump the air out and the fuel in. All you are looking for is the gasoline vapors with this trick. Don't squirt so much that gas drips down into the intake.
And don't let your hand or the rag get sucked in! Doesn't sound like a good practice to me.

How fast is it cranking. Like normal, or slow. If it's cranking to slow and your batteries are low it will never start. Between glow plugs and the starter cranking it really sucks the juice out of the batteries, sometimes enough where the fuel shut off will close because there isn't enough voltage getting to it.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If he has the mesh over the intake manifold, getting your hand or a rag sucked in shouldn't be a problem.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:51 AM
michbol
Senior User
my statement was assuming the mesh is still there. This is the most effective and easiest on the engine method for starting an IDI that I have seen. Other methods either require the engine choking out or backfiring on ether or ruining your batteries and/or starter after never-ending cranking sessions.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Marshall91F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by michbol
Well followed what you said and HOT DIGGITY DAMN!!! It is running again!!! THIS IS WHY THIS FORUM IS THE BEST!!!!

Thanks for all the replies
Marshall

Old 11-25-2010, 12:01 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Marshall91F250
Well followed what you said and HOT DIGGITY DAMN!!! It is running again!!! THIS IS WHY THIS FORUM IS THE BEST!!!!

Thanks for all the replies
Marshall
OK you got it running again but did you locate & repair the cause of the problem? Or are you going to carry a rag and a can of gas with you all the time so you can start it?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Marshall91F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
OK you got it running again but did you locate & repair the cause of the problem? Or are you going to carry a rag and a can of gas with you all the time so you can start it?
The problem was air intrusion in the lines. The o-rings need replaced on the fuel return lines. I do have some Viton o- rings to put on. The #2 injector is leaking at the base.

I do enjoy the sarcasm though.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Marshall91F250
The problem was air intrusion in the lines. The o-rings need replaced on the fuel return lines. I do have some Viton o- rings to put on. The #2 injector is leaking at the base.

I do enjoy the sarcasm though.
Cool. Didn't know if you knew where the problem was. Sounds like you got it figured.

Quick Reply: Need Help!! No Fuel After IP!!