1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

whos runnin a 350 chevy into ther 49-52,help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:18 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
whos runnin a 350 chevy into ther 49-52,help

hi again folks,,,i recently made a thread about how to convert/hook up my gauges and speedo...well the replies were very helpful except i dont have any senders for my gauges and no speedo cable....what are you guys using please lend me a hand here

Old 11-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The amp gauge will work no matter what engine you have and voltage charging system you use. It just needs to have the wiring installed correctly.

Your gas gauge should work because you should still have the original sender in the gas tank behind the seat. You will have to install a Voltage reducer on the gas gauge if yo intend to have a 12 volt electrical system.

Convert your stock electrical gauges to modern after market mechanical gauges using the stock cluster and faces like I did. Here's a picture of mine AFTER being converted to the aftermarket mechanical gauges for oil and temp (note the stop pins for the needles and the temp gauge resting on "C" instead of "H"):

Name:  9. Guage Package Restoration.JPG
Views: 1414
Size:  57.2 KB

You can send me an e-mail to babbiebuddie@***.net and I'll send you the pictures and step by step process for converting the gauges.

You can take your truck (or speedometer) to any speedometer shop and have an new speedometer cable made for it that will fit the stock speedometer, be the correct length and fit the Chevy transmission for about $25. They will need to know your rear end gear ratio and tire size to install the correct size driven gear.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:25 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

thanks...i installed the gas gauge reducer like you told me i just dont know where to get the senders for the amp/tem/oil because the truck didnt com with them or i dont know what other senders would fit...the autozombie or other autoparts store are 60 miles from where i live and the employees are often some idiot yungster that only knows about annoying muffler for their hondas so is kinda frustrating

Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

the speedometer cable will have to wait till i go to the speedo shop and i will call the previous owner to find what the rear end ratio is....

Old 11-21-2010, 03:18 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
I doubt the stock senders would fit anyway. The oil pressure one might with adaptors, but the temp would probably be too big.

On the conversion to mechanical gauges there are no "senders." On the temp gauge there is a mercury bulb on a long tube that inserts into the engine and on the oil there is a fitting and a tube that connects to the gauge.

2" Sunpro or VDO MECHANICAL gauges will work fine. Just be sure they are partial sweep (needle is on bottom not middle and sweeps across like a fan, not around)

Temp is right side up and sweeps from left to right - like this VDO:

The oil needs to be inverted and sweep from left to right - like this:

Old 11-21-2010, 03:47 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

ok cool i think i got it now...ill update when i do it

Old 11-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the write up and pics I have.

babbiebuddie@***.net

Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

you sent it to me last week and its loaded with info!!!!!!thank you

Old 11-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
you sent it to me last week and its loaded with info!!!!!!thank you
LOL! Between Electrical drawings, Full Front Tilt, Visors, and Gauges, I send about 20 E-mails a week to folks - as you may have noticed by the long line of previous recipients!

It's hard for me to keep the names and trucks straight - Sorry!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:26 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

no thank you

no!!! thank YOU!!! for taking the time to help us...i was in another forum where when u ask for help they dont give a rats a**

Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 AM
falconwagon62
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
the speedometer cable will have to wait till i go to the speedo shop and i will call the previous owner to find what the rear end ratio is....
Sy at Mid-Fifties sells the speedo cable, the cable is the cable, you may need to buy a new gear for the inside of the GM tranny, fords go on the cable, GM's are in the tranny....

John

Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
[quote=Julies Cool F1;9584632]I doubt the stock senders would fit anyway. The oil pressure one might with adaptors, but the temp would probably be too big.

I used the stock single wire flathead V8 temp sender for years when Willard ran a 56 Nailhead Buick and I have fitted up my 383 (stroked 350) to receive the stock single wire temp sender in a bushed down location in the hot water side of the intake manifold (aftermarket aluminum-knockoff on Edlebrock)

Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

julie do you have a link or a place to get the vdo gauge???i looked on ebay and the have used ones for 40.00 bucks...i ordered the sunpro

Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
I keep forgetting you are out in the sticks and don't have a Kragen or NAPA to just walk into....They both carry both types of gauges "on the shelf."

Here's a place that sells VDO. There may be other internet sites as well. Just google "VDO gauges."

VDO Vision Black Series Gauges from egauges.com

Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

i messd up one one big time...i forgot you said to get them both with the sweep action so i bought the one with the watch set up,i tore it apart and i realized that it was the wrong one too late...now i have to wait till next week sometime dammit

Quick Reply: whos runnin a 350 chevy into ther 49-52,help