Sponsored by:

Lift gate won't open-not the lock/actuator

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lift gate won't open-not the lock/actuator

I thought the actuator wasn't working, so I took the trim out to fix. Well, the actuator works fine- I can see the parts all moving. The problem is the striker assembly (making the part name up) in the corners that actually hold the gate closed. One side moves/opens fine, I can see the cable pull with the lift gate release and the brass parts/jaws in the corner open and close. On the other side, the cable does not return to the closed position and the brass striker/locking parts don't move the same distance as the one side that seems to work.

I've shot it full of degreaser and lubricant. Any other ideas? I can't even get the thing open so the entire back is completely useless! Need Help.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a two man job. Get someone to pull the handle outside whil you release the inside. Then you should be able to work on it. Mine wouldn't lock. I could only find the lock and cable assembly as one unit and had it all replaced.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
you're not kidding, had my 8 yr old son pulling the handle. He thought I was crazy asking him to open and close the thing. One side definitely does not move as far as the other and no amount of coaxing with a screwdriver or otherwise will make it move more. Damn cables.....

Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See if this helps

See if this helps. If you can't get the latch out, because it won't release, look in the last picture and see if you can find a way to manipulte the cable and move things to release.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Liftgate Latch.pdf (42.3 KB, 515 views)
Old 11-21-2010, 08:46 PM
mark996
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had issues with mine when we first brought her home. The back door is horribad at sealing things off, wonder if it isn't gunked up with crap. A good cleaning out when I had mine all taken apart helped all issues.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:45 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
I sprayed the hell out of the moving pieces and parts and let it sit overnight. In the AM still wouldn't budge. By the afternoon, after making sure it really was unlocked seeing as I'm in there to fix the actuator in the first place, I get it open with A LOT of pulling and pushing. It do it a few more times the rest of the day and no problem.

This AM, thinking it is all fixed, I go to open it and the thing is stuck closed. I looked at all the parts and they're moving fine. It just won't open. So I man up and REALLY pull on the thing (to the point where I'm thinking the cheap-o plastic handle is going to snap) and BAM! It opens.

I'm thinking the window glass must be sticking to the rubber gasket at the cold temps and releasing at the warmer ones. Why else, with the same travel on the moving parts, would it work sometimes and not others? Must be sticking together, so I'm thinking about some rubber-safe lube (whoah, family forum ) to keep things together but not stuck.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use silicon spray it won't attack the rubber. I have same problem but felt the latch pop when opening, suspect broken cable. I started a new thread because I had not found this one. I use the hatch daily and now it won't release. Looks like one side did release and the other did not. Have to work in 100 heat truck won't fit in shop so any help appreciated.
First step open hatch.. I probably can take it from there, but is there any quick release? or other way to get in?