is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 headlights and grill

Got her done.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Looks great. You go with OEM headlights or the cheaper aftermarkets? I'm really itchin for some '05 headlights.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:02 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
Looks good!!! I really like that front grill/headlight style.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM
th67ss
Senior User
Looks good

I would like to do this one day and keep my original bumper as well, so people know I've got the good motor!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
cjfarm11
Laughing Gas
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Wow that looks great! I have been really wanting to do that! How hard was it? I know the grille isn't the issue, just wondering about the headlights?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 AM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Looks great. Question: Was I supposed to leave that black rubber thing on the headlight rim? I see you did. I thought it was just part of the packaging.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by izzybird
Looks great. You go with OEM headlights or the cheaper aftermarkets? I'm really itchin for some '05 headlights.
I got them from headlightswholesale.com. They were about $168 after tax/shipping. Came with the pigtail to change over and bulbs too. Just had to get a few #10 speed clips for the tops to bolt in and some # 10 matching screws of course.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by cjfarm11
Wow that looks great! I have been really wanting to do that! How hard was it? I know the grille isn't the issue, just wondering about the headlights?
The second one was very easy lol. They new lights dont use the same holes or adjusters as the old ones do. There are 2 screws on the bottom that holds the turn signals in. Take those out and the turnsignal/parking light will come out with a easy pull, unhook the wires and then on the Headlamp part there are some clips behind the adjusting screws to take out. 2 on each side. Then there is an adjustment screw for the bottom. Just back out the screw (I think it's a 20 torx) all the way till the light comes out. Then follow the directions for cutting. I used an angle grinder with a metal blade and it worked fine. You can cut out way more than they show on the picture. Just make sure you leave the original bottom screw holes and there are two holes on top you need to leave as well. That's where the speed clips go. It's easy once you realize what can be cut and what needs to stay.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by overthehillbill
Looks great. Question: Was I supposed to leave that black rubber thing on the headlight rim? I see you did. I thought it was just part of the packaging.
IDK. I didn't even think about it lol. I'm prolly supposed to take them off haha!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:25 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
IDK. I didn't even think about it lol. I'm prolly supposed to take them off haha!
IDK either, I just thought it would look cleaner w/o them. I usually don't pay a lot of attention to instructions. The pattern they sent for cutting the header wasn't even close. If I were to do it again I would remove the header and trim it on a bench. It's a real PIA doing it in the truck.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Yeah but once you know how much you can actually take off it's no big deal. BTW I went outside and took off the black things lol.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO those years grills are the sharpest, and the most sought after, if I had the extra cash I'd swing for one but theres time. Your truck looks great, and the pics, congrats.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:19 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Yeah but once you know how much you can actually take off it's no big deal. BTW I went outside and took off the black things lol.
I agree, not much left. By reducing the weight of the trucks are doing our part to join Al Gore's green guys club.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Thanks guys. I got the grill for $80 local and cut it with a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade. It cut almost all the way through and what was left broke off easily. I took the old lights off the Excursion and put them on my 01 xl f250 work truck. I'll take pics of that tomorrow. I might paint my grill on it (the truck is white also) I got suckered into putting a timing belt on my wifes Honda CRV this weekend lol, so it masight take a week or so. At least I don't have to stand on the bumper to wrench, haha.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 PM
izzybird
Elder User

timing belt
Please watch the foul language, this is a family site!
Kidding aside, I'll probably go with the aftermarket lights also. Sure looks nice and I bet you can see a heck of a lot better at night.

Quick Reply: 05 headlights and grill