1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good replies, now i will try to answer them.

Iwanaflattie
i have that hole issue also but that is what they make migs for. I feel for you as one of my issues is small front tires. i am doing what you are doing and that is to get bigger front tires.

Julie
first you have to remember this is sitting on an 86 S-10 chassis that had a V8 conversion. That would be a 307 / turbo 350 trans. Just a 4 barrel carb and swap headers. it doesn't weigh anything so it moves it right along. The rear is stock and from the way it runs I would say that it is the original 4:10 gear. So now the choice, do I change the gear or step up to a 200R4 trans which almost bolts in. The S-10 chassis has IFS, pwr steering and power disc brakes. The rake is a combination of HUGE and little tires and a body drop as in it was mounted down in front.

Ford14TPU
Since it is an S-10 chassis and it came with a running 307/350 combo that is what is going to stay for a while, perhaps a long while. I am a Ford guy and it kills me to see it in there but I have a plan. I am going to paint the motor Olds gold and install the Olds style valve covers and a cadillac style air cleaner and that should throw most people off the track. i can deal with it being an Oldsmobile other than a chevy.

All: The more I hear about the "darkside" it has almost become a badge of honor as that was the way these things have always been built. what i don't understand is what the diff is between putting in an Morrison complete chassis and an S-10/ Ranger frame with the same parts??? Except maybe a whole ton of money i don't have to get the same results.

jim

Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
ya your lucky i only have an arc welder...i never bought tools for this only wood working tools so........im gona have to drive it like this for a while

Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
All: The more I hear about the "darkside" it has almost become a badge of honor as that was the way these things have always been built. what i don't understand is what the diff is between putting in an Morrison complete chassis and an S-10/ Ranger frame with the same parts??? Except maybe a whole ton of money i don't have to get the same results.

jim
It's because there are alot of guys swallowing those blue oval pills on here and would like to shove it into you,lol or are they just stiff necked

Old 11-15-2010, 08:26 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
ya your lucky i only have an arc welder...i never bought tools for this only wood working tools so........im gona have to drive it like this for a while
Actually i may have given a wrong impression. The docs won't let me weld as it messes with my pace maker. i think I can overcome that but i need to find an x-ray technicans protective coat. I want to remove most of the shielding except where it goes over the implant. Now i just need to find one......

Old 11-15-2010, 09:28 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey welcome to the board!!! nothing wrong with as s10 conversion, i`ve done a few on chevy trucks, fastest way to get your truck on the road with modern suspension! a bit of body work and bigger front tires and she`ll look sweet! whats your plan for a rear box??

Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
To be truthful I just don't know. Most likely it will be some sort of modied box. I am going to measure what I have anf then see what is close and visually what "looks" right. I am not going to lock myself in just yet but it will have fenders. Also it won't have running boards or that is the plan right now..

All this is subject to change as the project goes on but for now......;..

Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Actually i may have given a wrong impression. The docs won't let me weld as it messes with my pace maker. i think I can overcome that but i need to find an x-ray technicans protective coat. I want to remove most of the shielding except where it goes over the implant. Now i just need to find one......
sorry about the doc not lettin you weld my gfs dad has the same problem and he looooves to weld he wouldve help me with my project but his health aint so good,,,but boy he has a huge garage and its somewhat equipped but he wont let me use it

Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
What would really help, along with the tire changes you're figuring on, is to get some F-1 front fenders (likely have to be 'glass) to close up the front wheel wells. The portion in front of the wheels is scalloped forward on F-2's and larger, for Big Truck tires.

Also a set of running boards, which are made in both steel and glass, but of course they'd need a bed to flow correctly. Watch craigslist, beds show up as trailers!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:36 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
What would really help, along with the tire changes you're figuring on, is to get some F-1 front fenders (likely have to be 'glass) to close up the front wheel wells. The portion in front of the wheels is scalloped forward on F-2's and larger, for Big Truck tires.

Also a set of running boards, which are made in both steel and glass, but of course they'd need a bed to flow correctly. Watch craigslist, beds show up as trailers!
Actually i like the F2 fenders basically they are different. As for running boards? right now they are not on the list of things to do. may change, who knows???
jim

Old 11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
sorry about the doc not lettin you weld my gfs dad has the same problem and he looooves to weld he wouldve help me with my project but his health aint so good,,,but boy he has a huge garage and its somewhat equipped but he wont let me use it
Be thankful you have a garage to work in. In the winter I have a corner of a body shop and the rest of the time I work in my back yard without a garage.... not a complaint just how it is.

I haven't given up just yet on the shielding so I can weld. if it works out then i am getting a 110vt welder to use.

jim

Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

he wont let me use his garage,,,i live in apartments and all the work i do on my truck its at a friends driveway....you can store 10 cars in that garage tho

Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
sorry about that, i understand. BUT i also understand that if you want it bad enough you will find a way to get there. or so i keep telling myself. :-)

Old 11-16-2010, 01:17 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

yeah...i want it bad?!!!!lol that didnt sound right...yeah i love my truck i will find a way...well sorry for being rude and not welcoming you to the site....welcome from a newbie...

Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well jim, like i said in your first introduction thread that i would follow your build thread. It sounds like you have similer ideas that i had when i started and then abandoned my 51 project. It looks like you have enough 'darksider' support to make me think i should resurrect my 51. It's allready bolted to the ranger frame,i never had to cut it for the 114 in. wheelbase it needed.I found a 56 box and 51 rear fenders, so maybe i will . JIM

Old 11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Hi Jim, i was wondering when you would show up. By all means go back and bring that sucker back to life. When I get mine to a state where I can cruise long distance then i will bring it out there and we can go for a cruise....

if you start a build thread let me know.
jim

Quick Reply: Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build