Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Oily Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM
kpjr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oily Injectors

While putting in my new injectors today, I noticed that my driver side set of injectors are all covered in engine oil. I shined a flash light inside of the cylinder and it is just coated! I did not have anything I could stick down into the cylinder below to check if their was engine oil in there. Before I parked her for repairs about a month ago, she was puffing white smoke pretty damn good.

What kind of repair(s) am I looking at now?

I would have posted some photos but am currently without a camera.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2010, 05:52 PM
GenLightening
Senior User
When you say "Cylinder" do you mean the hole the injector sits in? You probably just have a few leaking injectors. You couldn't actually see into the cylinder/piston area without pulling the head.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be the rocker cover was leaking and filled the injector hole...... or there was a small amount of oil and when you removed the injector caps fuel mixed and it looks worse than it was. Did you replace the return lines and caps......with a new set.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 PM
kpjr
Junior User
Originally Posted by GenLightening
When you say "Cylinder" do you mean the hole the injector sits in? You probably just have a few leaking injectors. You couldn't actually see into the cylinder/piston area without pulling the head.
Yes. Sorry, I did mean the injector holes. I was concerned because all four injectors on the driver side bank were covered rather liberally in this black stuff. It didn't smell of strong diesel, but more of oil.

Originally Posted by PLC7.3
Could be the rocker cover was leaking and filled the injector hole...... or there was a small amount of oil and when you removed the injector caps fuel mixed and it looks worse than it was. Did you replace the return lines and caps......with a new set.
Yes, all new injectors and return lines & caps. I knew I would not be able to pull the injectors with the factory lines on them since they were pretty brittle and were starting to at the clamps.

Another bit of information is that when I pulled the injectors, the oil had small air bubbles in it on the upper half towards the threads. The Passenger side did not have any oil or anything. In fact those injectors looked burnt if anything. They were bone *** dry.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM
kpjr
Junior User
I guess you can say it looks like they had been soaked in some think WD-40 or very used engine oil... They smell less of diesel and more of engine oil.

Here are the pictures of two of the injectors. Hopefully you can see what I mean.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Probably a valve cover leak, but yeah I'm curious as well! Can that be a head gasket issue? I saw this on a friends truck and we changed his valve cover gasket which was leaking like a ****!!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 PM
poocher pup
Senior User
valve stem seals leaking? for your sake i hope not but a possibilty.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 PM
kpjr
Junior User
valve stem seal replacement can't be that bad, can it? Or could it be like replacing a head gasket in-cab?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:49 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
How would a valve cover gasket leak cause oil to get to the injectors? Wouldn't that cause oil to leak down the block?

Was the OP burning oil or blowing blue smoke?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Kremorgan
New User
We just changed injectors and return lines in my truck. Had to do the valve covers as well because oil had been escaping from both sides of the cover on the passenger side and had soaked not just around the injectors, but into the valley behind the injection pump as well. That was fun to clean up

Old 11-13-2010, 02:08 PM
ytlogger
Junior User
White smoke in a diesel usually means coolant a bad place and the little bubbles kind of look like water/coolant in oil. What does the engine oil look like? What does the coolant look like when you take off the rad cap? Did the white smoke smell kind of sweet? The threads look dry.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:08 PM
kpjr
Junior User
Originally Posted by mechelement
How would a valve cover gasket leak cause oil to get to the injectors? Wouldn't that cause oil to leak down the block?

Was the OP burning oil or blowing blue smoke?
No oil burned, no blue smoke. About a week before I parked her, after she was warmed up there would be a very light whit-ish smoke out of the tail pipe only at idle. The day I parked her, I started her up to huge chuffing with the engine moving like one side was not firing at all and billows upon billows of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:29 PM
kpjr
Junior User
A point of clarification I should make is that I did not notice any drops in oil levels before I parked her. I was checking the oil at every fill of the tanks which worked out to about once or twice a week. Her oil is towards the change mark however, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

I am half tempted to just put in those four new injectors and see what happens from there.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
id clean the bores up really good, clean up everything else and install properly. give it about two weeks and check one of them again. If it is oily then there is something off.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:34 PM
kpjr
Junior User
Originally Posted by ytlogger
White smoke in a diesel usually means coolant a bad place and the little bubbles kind of look like water/coolant in oil. What does the engine oil look like? What does the coolant look like when you take off the rad cap? Did the white smoke smell kind of sweet? The threads look dry.
coolant is clean, oil is clean. I don't have the space to dump out the oil to check to see about settling, although when she was driving no oil-coolant milky goodness ever showed up in either spots. No sweet smells, just a very hot metallic smell when she started puffing the clouds.

Quick Reply: Oily Injectors