1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My 1963 f100 4x4 with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 AM
63' f100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1963 f100 4x4 with pictures

This is my 1963 F-100 with factory installed 4 wheel drive. Its got a 292 y block with a 2 barrel carb, and a t-98 4 speed manual transmission. About two years ago it had a frozen generator, 4 flat tires, an engine that didn't run, brakes that didn't stop the truck, a broken turn signal switch, a carburetor that leaked fuel onto the manifold; in short, it was in pretty sad shape and had been sitting around for nearly a decade.

I have always been in love with this truck, even though it didn't run for the majority of my life. Im 18 now and I can honestly say some of my earliest memories are me riding in this truck with my dad. I didn't get to ride it much because the truck was neglected for a while and once the generator froze up, my dad parked it and it didn't run for another 8 or 9 years.

Once I was old enough and started taking shop classes at my high school and leaned how engines work and how to take them apart and rebuild them, I started working on this truck. After installing a new generator and charging the battery, draining the old gas and replacing the clogged fuel line it fired right up but obviously it ran a bit rough.

I changed the oil in not only the engine, but also the transmission, transfer case, and both differentials. Its got new tires, I rebuilt the carburetor, completely rebuilt the brake system, painted the manifold and air cleaner, gave it an ignition tune up (points, condenser, plugs and wires). I did some minor electrical work (turn signal didn't work, nor did the head lights)

One of the requirements for me being able to drive the truck is that I had to install seatbelts. I have done that and can now drive it occasionally. I recently took it out to the desert. I need a new locking hub. Obviously without a both locking hubs the 4x4 system doesn't work. I've ordered new ones, but they haven't arrived yet. Once I get them you can bet just about anything I'm taking it out again.

This was a fantastic day out. I went with a few friends. You can see the Bronco in the back ground of one of the pictures that went with me. I'm very thankful that the Bronco went with me. Because my 4x4 is effectively a 2x4 at the moment I did get it stuck a couple times and the Bronco saved the day both times. I learned the limitations of 2 wheel drive in the desert in soft sand. Im positive that if I had my 4x4 working I would not have gotten stuck.

When I first got there, there was another guy who was stuck and had obviously been stuck for a while because he was a bit frustrated, but asked nicely if i could help pull him out. I of course was very happy to help because I had only been there for 10 minutes and I had already gotten the opportunity to pull someone out! I'm sure why, but being asked to help pull a truck out is a nice feeling. I was more than happy to help. I almost got my truck stuck in the process (that would have made matters worse), but we managed to get it out. My truck is nearly 50 years old and its still a work horse!

The kids at my high school love this thing by the way. I don't get to drive it very often, but when I do I get comments all day long about it, especially from the guys that drive trucks. I've pulled into gas stations and had strangers talk to me about it and ask to see the engine. I am still working on it and when i get money would like to do a full restoration, but that isn't going to happen for a long time. Its a bit of a head turner and I honestly don't think I'd trade this truck for anything in the world.

I always enjoy seeing pictures of other people's trucks, so I thought I'd post mine.

PS- This forum has been incredibly helpful in the process of getting this truck running. Everything from rebuilding the carburetor to installing seat belts to finding a provider for odd ball parts, this forum has been here for me. I thank you all so much for your help, some of the informations is almost invaluable. I am still learning and hope one day to be able to help someone else as you have helped me.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
danray63
New User
Nice truck with alot of potential

Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 PM
66crawler
Elder User
Just drive faster lol. I drove a 2wd in sand plenty of times, drive fast and park facing down hill.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great Story! and a very nice truck. next time your in the sand air down the tires to 15 lbs or so... driving fast only works for dirt bikes!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 PM
66crawler
Elder User
It works for tacomas too lol

Old 11-13-2010, 07:33 PM
63' f100
Elder User
I aired down the tires to 20 psi. I got stuck trying to drive up a steep hill. the bronco barely made it up the hill in 4 wheel, so i knew I wasn't going to make it up, but i tried anyway.

dove season started today, so its now my official hunting truck for the next 15 days.