1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie '58 F-100 Rebuld

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Slushdog21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie '58 F-100 Rebuld

Hi I am new to this site and new to doing this kind of project. My father and I are trying to rebuild a 1958 F-100. It has already been started and I bought it to finish what the original owner didnt finish.

It already has had the frame off and the frame was blasted and coated. Some of the body has been fixed and in primer. I am somewhat knowledgable in that sense and have a very good friend that does body work for a living. I am really looking for some help with diagrams of the entire truck. It has a chevy 427 motor in is that was recently rebuild. I am looking to buy new components for that and I am not sure what matches that motor or what is compatiable with the truck and motor.

I am already planning on upgrading some of the items that make life easier once it is on the road such as a 12 volt electrical system, disc brakes and power steering.

I have a good friend that is like a second father to me and he has a '51 F-100. He loves it but I see how he struggles with driving it sometimes. No power steering or disc brakes.

My main struggle is I am not sure where I need to start to identify what I have and what will work with what I have.

I might have bit off a little more than I can chew here, but I am ready to learn whatever I need to finish most of this project myself.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Slushdog, welcome to FTE.First ,buy a factory shop manual, original or reproduction.Try Ebay,Mac's, or one of the FTE sponsors.You already have a 12 volt system,by the way ,if it's a 58.

The factory manual, lots of specific questions, and the collective knowledge of FTE members(present company excluded) will get you to where you want to go, eventually.I think there is a "sticky" thread on the first page that gives a plan of attack to follow that's worked for others.Good luck,enjoy.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
HI Mike - Welcome to FTE

Yeah, sometimes when you haul that thing home and drop it in the driveway one of the first thoughts that goes through your mind is: "How the heck am I going to get this thing going - what was I thinking!"

And there's an answer. You were thinking: "This is a cool truck and I gotta have it!" And you were right!

Welcome to the insane asylum!

It may seem a little overwhelming now, but just take a step back and set a few goals. What do you want to use the truck for - Show, Daily driver, Work, etc.

Then based on that, plan out what you want the end result to include. Talk to folks and come here and read up on other peoples project who are fixing specific things. ASK QUESTIONS!

Then a methodical process will emerge and you will get started on it - never to be the same again!

The best general words of "wisdom" I can pass would be to expect the project to take a couple of years at least. You're going to want to do it right and hurrying is your enemy!

Second, it's gonna take some bucks!!!! That's why working patiently over time works better than trying to hurry it. No short cuts - spend the money to do it right. You don't have to burn money foolishly, and there are ways to save. But there are things that are best not shorted on. If the project becomes a burden let it go for a month or so.
Visit this site often and read up on stuff. Every post is a learning experience that can't be duplicated any other way!

Last piece of advice: Strive to get the truck running and driveable as soon as you can. Putting time, work, and money into something that bares no fruit is very discouraging and dismotivating. Having a truck that drives - even if it looks like road kill is a great feeling.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 PM
anderson sc
Senior User
Have bought a ford 58 panel truck has a chevy 350 motor/350 trany in it having new driveshaft being made for it. Will be doing a test drive in it soon. Rebuild brakes did not cost very much. Had decided to wait on power brakes and steering. Want to see how well the truck handles first. Manuel steering and brake shoes works ok when they are working properly. Just not as good. This 58 is the oldiest I have restored, mostly late 60's early 70' hot rods. Had a 69 Charger would drive it out of state go anywhere with it, and all that time it had drum brakes. Gave me no problems. One thing you have to watch for is if the brakes get wet when in a lot of water they don't work very well. Any questions you have post them here lot of good people here. Sure has helped me out on my 68 truck and the 58 panel.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Slushdog21
Hi I am new to this site and new to doing this kind of project. My father and I are trying to rebuild a 1958 F-100. It has already been started and I bought it to finish what the original owner didnt finish.

It already has had the frame off and the frame was blasted and coated. Some of the body has been fixed and in primer. I am somewhat knowledgable in that sense and have a very good friend that does body work for a living. I am really looking for some help with diagrams of the entire truck. It has a chevy 427 motor in is that was recently rebuild. I am looking to buy new components for that and I am not sure what matches that motor or what is compatiable with the truck and motor.

I am already planning on upgrading some of the items that make life easier once it is on the road such as a 12 volt electrical system, disc brakes and power steering.

I have a good friend that is like a second father to me and he has a '51 F-100. He loves it but I see how he struggles with driving it sometimes. No power steering or disc brakes.

My main struggle is I am not sure where I need to start to identify what I have and what will work with what I have.

I might have bit off a little more than I can chew here, but I am ready to learn whatever I need to finish most of this project myself.

Thanks for your help!

Mike
1st: Welcome to "the Few, the Proud, the Styleside Owners", & what is known as the "Orphan Brigade", '57-'60 truck owners!

2nd: Dump any thing G.M. & save yourself a Big Headache! Lots of "Cutting, Welding & having to Adapt systems" in order to make it work.

3rd: FoMoCo intro'd the "12 Volt System" in 1956, so there's No Need to covert it!

4th: Go w/ the Original FoMoCo "Power Assist Steering System", as it is just a "Bolt-On" & readily avaiable. Any other system you've to "Cut & Weld" in order to Fit it into place & you loose the use of your Original Horn button in the Steering Wheel.

5th: Power Brakes are a good idea, though Not necessary if you just give yourself a reasonable amount of stopping distance as you were supposedly taught in Drivers Ed. If you do decide to go for it, Front is really the Only set up you need to convert as that's where 90% of the Stopping Power is. Go for the "Bolt-On" after markett system once again in order to Avoid having to "Cut & Weld" anything & the original FoMoCo system is still available.

6th: Starting point? Focus on "One thing" @ a time so you don't get that overwhelmed feeling. Is the Body already attached? If not, do Everything 1st that'd be a real "Bug Bear" for you to do if it were already attached.
"Power Assist Steering System",
"Power Brakes",
"Placement & Attachment Points for the New Engine & trans, etc.
If it is, follow the former List.

7th: Use any "Upgrade System" that will directly "Bolt-On"! I can't Stress that Strongly Enough! Any "Upgrades" that'll Directly "Bolt-On" will save you Tons on Potential Headaches in the Future on your project.

8th: The FoMoCo Factory Shop Manuel & the FoMoCo Frame Guide are easily obtainable on e-Bay & that's the Absolutely the 1st things you should buy!

9th: The majority here have great experience, knowledge & great advice, But take it for what it is, "Advise"! Especially from those that Don't know the "Orphan Brigade", '57-'60 Trucks well or have experience working on them. The previous & post years model trucks will not necessarily have the same easy fixes that these individuals found working on there particular year model of truck & it doesn't mean it'll be as easily transferable a fix onto our "Orphan Brigade" trucks. Use what works specifically for your project & discard the rest.

I Am One Of The "Orphan Brigade", So I Know Wherefore I Make My Statements! "The Few, the Proud, a Styleside Owner"!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum Slushdog21

I've got a 58F100 custom myself. Mine is a bit of a hotrod. I will echo the advice about trying to figure how you will use the truck. Streetrod type truck, or hauling a load type truck, or custom-show truck, .... And variations thereof. Usually people have some sort of general idea. And that will often determine the specifics of the build. For instance load carrying springs versus some sort of lowered custom look etc. Everybody pretty much does their own thing in this regards, and you'll find some of "everybody" here.

Goodluck
Tom

Old 11-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Slushdog21
New User
I would like to thank everyone for the great advice. You make it seem like there will be an end to this project after all. I did get it in June and havent touched it since. Body isnt in bad shape just some minor things to do.

I do like the idea of getting it to a driveable state first especially since the body work is easy for me and can be done quickly after the truck is running how I want it.

I do have the front dropped a couple inches. This is going to be a driveable show truck. Not a trailer queen!. After I spend all the time and money on it I want to use it as much as I can.

Thanks again for all your advise I will def be using everyones knowledge to help me out through out this project.

Thanks Mike

Old 11-14-2010, 12:03 AM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The '57 to '60 shop manuals don't have a wiring diagram as such. They have separate diagrams for the different systems (lights, ignition, charging). However, the wiring is virtually identical to the '56 F100, and you'll find a clear diagram of that. Of course, over half a century, there may have been a few slight changes from the original wiring. If it isn't in good shape, an aftermarket wiring kit would help neaten things up. Since there weren't many electrical doodads on trucks in 1958, Ford didn't bother with a proper fuse block... there's maybe one fuse hidden on the back of the light switch, and a couple inline somewhere under the dash. Original wiring may be brittle, and connectors and lamp sockets may have corroded.

As for the "other brand" engine... if it's in there properly and it runs, paint it blue and slap a Ford air cleaner and Cobra valve covers on it. Should make for some good conversations. Replace it with something Ford in the future, if it breaks or you have too much time and money on your hands.