Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Track Bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:29 PM
T Price
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track Bar

Have any one driven without a track bar for a day or 2 . I want to make a adjustable one. So I have to pull it off and rework it. My wife needs her car and I need to drive too and from work about 7 miles one way
Thanks Tim

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i wouldn't, the axle is designed to be held in place side to side with that part..

way to risky if you ask me..

Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
i wouldn't, the axle is designed to be held in place side to side with that part..

way to risky if you ask me..
if this is the case, why did a 79 ford / chevy solid axle, leaf sprung truck NOT come with one?

now days we're talking heavier leaf packs, wider springs, and tougher bushings.

you should be ok to drive it with out the trac bar. if you think about it, your leaf springs are pinned to your axle (the stud of the leaf pack sits in a hole on the axle mount). as long as your u-bots are tight, your axle is secured to the springs, the springs may have some axle wrap issues, but doubt you'll see/feel any of these issues given that you don't do any crawling, or hard mud bogs. we have a "sway bar" on the front as well, so your turning sway will still be slim!

trac bars serve more of a purpose on a coil over type suspension where the is only coils and shocks. the bar will keep the axles centered, and the radius arms provide a traction bar type stability (limits axle wrap, as well as front to back movement. all these things that effect a coil over type suspension dont really apply to a sprung type suspension.

leaf springs provide the combination of radius arms (no front of back motion of the axle), as well as a trac bar (no side to side movement). it has also been shown that a trac bar is some times put into place to provide engine torque stability. when accelerating under a load, your torque shift of the engine will some times flex the frame / suspension. a good example is an 18 wheeler. when the start off from a stop light you'll watch the body, cab, and suspension flex. the right side spring will compress as the engine torques, lifting weight off the left side tire.... a trac bar will eliminate or at least cut way down on torque flex.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
because those older trucks had shackles/leaf springs/ and bushings all DESIGNED around holding the axle in place..

under a SD they are part of the suspension system not all the peices..

its your truck but i'm just saying your putting stress on parts that might not be able to deal with it when cornering/braking..

your call..

Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 PM
KOESTNER
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
because those older trucks had shackles/leaf springs/ and bushings all DESIGNED around holding the axle in place..

under a SD they are part of the suspension system not all the peices..

its your truck but i'm just saying your putting stress on parts that might not be able to deal with it when cornering/braking..

your call..
What he said.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:53 AM
T Price
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I am off for 5 days maybe tonight I will take it off . Then go to the plant and cut it thread it and weld it ( driving the wifes car) Do I want to go back there for a couple of hours and do it
Tim

Old 11-10-2010, 03:23 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ha. I'm looking at this thread and some lady's eyeliner ad keeps popping up. Not exactly a good audience match....!