Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for letting us know. I'm not really good at picturing the issue as the tranny dropping onto the crossmember. I just don't see how that would happen.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:56 AM
vfuentes
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sburnett13 [after many weeks of a small drip/leak, we took it in to the shop. tech said that since we park on an incline, with the nose of the truck higher than the rear, the tranny somehow drops onto the crossmember due to gravity. the tranny seal went out and was replaced along with the fluid. said it was warranty covered and possibly an upcoming recall. they fixed it and runs fine.]

That is not a good answer for the tech.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Cannot blame on angle inclination. that is ridicules.<o></o>
My truck wasn’t in any inclination all the 3 times that has been the oil issue.<o></o>
Apparently today they will finish it, and will see if this time they get it right, rather than just guessing.<o></o>

<!-- / message -->

Old 02-18-2011, 10:07 AM
skywagon
Senior User
Originally Posted by vfuentes
sburnett13 [after many weeks of a small drip/leak, we took it in to the shop. tech said that since we park on an incline, with the nose of the truck higher than the rear, the tranny somehow drops onto the crossmember due to gravity. the tranny seal went out and was replaced along with the fluid. said it was warranty covered and possibly an upcoming recall. they fixed it and runs fine.]

That is not a good answer for the tech.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Cannot blame on angle inclination. that is ridicules.<o></o>
My truck wasn’t in any inclination all the 3 times that has been the oil issue.<o></o>
Apparently today they will finish it, and will see if this time they get it right, rather than just guessing.<o></o>

<!-- / message -->
I hang mine upside down from the ceiling and it don't leak!LOL

Old 02-18-2011, 10:52 AM
vfuentes
New User
i know, how ridicules is that the ford tech blame on inclination angle?
But well,

Old 02-18-2011, 10:56 AM
vfuentes
New User
by the way how can i load a picture of my truck in here as a signature?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 AM
TrapperDave
Junior User
Sounds like a simple fix for a simple problem. Not sure if a TBS has been issued to address it. I'll be certain to keep an eye out for fluid leaking on my garage floor. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
hbiss
New User
I have been having the same problem. Dealer said that it was coming from the filler. He topped the fluid off and cleaned it up. It was OK for about a month then I noticed it again.

Originally Posted by Turbodogg
The same thing happened to my 09 4.6 6 speed 4x4. The part already came in and I'm taking the truck to the dealership tomorrow.

The service guy at the dealership told me that he had four truck ahead on mine with the same problem. I think they are going to make some kind of adjustment per a technical bulletin thats suppose to help along with the new part.

I just hope this isn't going to be an on-going problem.
Does anybody know exactly what this part is, what the repair is and if there is a TSB for it?

-Hal

Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Yeti575
New User
2009 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.8L Auto

My trans started leaking a little fluid a few weeks ago... noticed it on the driveway (sloped) and on the garage floor (flat). The truck has 68K miles on it.

Took it to the dealer, they looked at it and said that the bulk head connector through the transmission casing is leaking. Parts including new fluid are $155 and labor to install is about 4 hours. They have to go in through the pan, pull the valve bodies down and access the connector from there to replace it.

They stated that this is the 3rd truck that they have seen with the same problem but all of them are in widely differing mileages. They further stated that Ford has a production run of 3,000 bulkhead connectors in the works tofix the issues. As of last week they stated that the connectors would be available Jan 20th and they could install after that.

Will post again after the fix is implemented.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:11 PM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Hey guys, I'll jump in here. I had the same issue; drive the truck for a long distance and then it sat for a week. I notice a sizable puddle of atf on the garage floor (good thing I have a coated floor). Truck is an 09 w/44k miles. I took it to the dealer and they told me about the bulkhead connector and that it is on national back order. They 'topped off' the fluid and said I could get the truck and they would call me when the part came in. 1 hour later they call back and say they actually got the part, so they were installing it and the truck would be ready later in the day. This was last week and the truck is no longer leaking after sitting for a few days. The TSB they referenced is 11-03-25.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had one in the shop last week with same issue, (bulk-head connector). Referred customer to dealer for warranty repair.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 PM
KRanch09
New User
My truck did this for the first time today. Was sitting for last 4 days and I looked under it today and saw a spot about 2 1/2 ft long in the driveway. Looked underneath and it appeared to be coming from the connector area. I figued I would check to see if anyone else has had the same issue and what the fix is, and lo and behold-- here is, right on this website! These forums are great. I will take it to the dealer on Monday. JeepPuller, did the dealer/Ford cover the cost ordi you have to pay? How many miles you have on your truck? I have almost 60k on my '09.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Sldrvr_1
Junior User
I just had this problem and it is a simple fix. It is the connector coupler that is the problem. There is a TSB out on it and until the 28th of Jan the part was on national back order. I found one two weeks ago in Oklahoma $15 and some change plus shipping. My mechanic had it in an out in no time. Real simple fix, disconnect couple harness, drop trans pan, pull release lever down and pull out connector. Put new connector in and follow in and reverse instructions. I went a ahead and replaced the filter, gasket, and put a new deep dish aluminum trans pan but you can reuse all the old parts. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:04 PM
jimk55124
Cross-Country
Check the TB's on this site. I believe I saw one on tranny leaks.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
rescue48
Freshman User
Thumbs down '09 crew 2wd

Same damn problem here. Sat in driveway overnight, small stain next day on concrete. Took to dealer, same backorder for seals. Was told there were 2 leaks; on pan, and somewhere else I can't remember. Very disappointing.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
KRanch09
New User
I dropped off my truck for the door handle recall, and told them I was getting the leaking from the bulkhead seal in my transmission (mentioned TSB 11-03-25). They called back and confirmed the seal was bad, mentioned it was on national back-order but that they were able to get one from another dealer, and that the work would all be covered by the 5/60k powertrain warranty (my truck has almost 57,000 miles on it. All went well. Make sure you check your tranny if you are getting close to 60k. After the warranty runs out, you have to pay for it yourself, per Ford. Good luck.

Quick Reply: transmission leak