1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM
blackford97
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant

as long as i have had my truck which has been for 5 years now i have never changed the coolant in it. But before i bought the truck the thermostat never moved off the cold mark but it puts out plenty of hot air tho. Some people tell me to change the fluid and the thermostat and it will run better, but some people tell me and i try to go by (if its not broke dont mess with it) Any ideas

Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM
triskadek
Senior User
The coolant has (should have) an additive to reduce/prevent cavitation which is a known issue with the engine design. It is in theory possible to buy the additive separately, but I haven't found it as readily available as "heavy duty diesel coolant" with anti cavitation mix in it already. You should also in theory be able to find test strips for the coolant. Presumably at the same place you would buy the additive.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I got my additive directly from ford. Says how much to mix right on the bottle.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:51 PM
DAVID'S97F250HD
Posting Guru
I thaugh the same thing about my thermostat, my water pump went the other day and keeping in mind the temp never went above the "o" on the temp gauge, when I pulled the water pump and switch over the thermostat is was stamped 183 degree or something stupid.....so I dropped it on the ground and stomped on it before I convinced myself to put it back in.

I installed a 195 degree thermostat and ran the truck down the highway. Before I thaught I had "lots of heat"........... boy was I wrong. Living in Canada with as cold as it gets, I'll be driving my truck in my gitch this winter. Makes me wounder what the 203 degree thermostat is like.

As for your coolant question. Go to and truck dealer and you can buy the heavy duty diesil anti-freeze you need. You can also pick up some test stripps too, you kinda want to stay ontop of the DCA additive in the anti-freeze to prevent cavitation.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i run Fleet Charge from TSC and then i run and bypass filter with the SCA additive in the filter. i used to test the coolant but it was always fine so i quit and instead just replace the filter once a year. every now and again i will grab a test strip from a buddy just for kicks and have never had problems.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle...1-gal--8000177

-cutts-