1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

4.9 Alternator Removal Gone Bad...Need some help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 AM
Dadsole'FORD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9 Alternator Removal Gone Bad...Need some help please!!

Hey all
Long story short(ened)....A few weeks ago, truck wouldn't start and I got some ideas from you guys and was able to get it running with a simple relay replacement. Phew...
I also replaced the battery as the old one wouldn't hold a charge overnight(so I thought). Well turns out the new battery wouldn't either, I finally deducted from studying some of the older posts and doing some of the recommended tests, the alternator is probably bad. Need to take it out and have it tested. No big deal( I thought).
Well, I ran out of time, finally got back around to it yesterday. Its a project truck and I'm in no hurry....and after soaking the bolts with PB and lighting the old wood stove on a perdy November day. I broke the old craftsman tools out and went to work. I removed the belt and upon closer inspection the top bolt's head had been rounded from the previous retard that worked on the truck(fortunately not me this time) No problem, got a tool for that...it came out and no knuckles bleeding yet...just 1 bolt down.
Ok, not a great start, but do'able. Now for the big bolt that runs through the bottom...well I studied that for a minute or two, drank another cold one. And then I put the big'un on it for reach and a little more ummph. Alternator spun down a little but that bolt was stubborn.
I sprayed it again, "let it soak" has always been my motto, so I gave it a while. I went back to it, nope still not budging. So at this point I am quite sure I started getting highly irritated, after all, I removed a few alternators in my time and not once ran across this type of problem. So I went behind the garage and found me a nice sized pipe to put over the big'un, by golly, I am gonna put some A## in it now.....wait for it...wait for it....
I twisted the frickin head off, yep thats right, who's the retard now??lol
My question to you guys is this...it seems to me it would be easier to just take the bracket(alternator) off the motor and put it on the bench to get the bolt out, but does anyone know how many bolts there are for the bracket? I see two for sure, but can't get a good look underneath. I am also letting them soak for a week just so I don't really mess up.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks
dj

Old 11-07-2010, 06:12 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
when the alt spun down did the bolt spin with it? if so the bolt is seized to the alt and not where it threads into the bracket. I had a plow truck do that once and I cut a slit in the alt along the length of the bolt and spread it open with a chisel to get the bolt out.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Superred2
Senior User
I just replaced my alt last week. When I had everything off, I think I only saw two bolts holding the mounting bracket to the block. However, if you twist one of those off, it will be way more difficult to repair than the bolt you twisted off. I would be more inclined to cut the alternator housing up to get it off and then work the bolt out of the mount. Problem is, the alts are $100 bucks.

Are you going to be able to move the alternator enough to get to both bracket bolts? Replacement bolts are available at the local salvage yard.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Dadsole'FORD
New User
I will have to check and see if the bolt is spinning in the threaded part of the bracket. I believe it may be froze to the alternator after studying some of the older posts, but I will double check for sure.
Yeh, I know what you mean about the bracket bolts, I think I can get to them....but not sure if I am going to go that route yet. That could turn real ugly. I believe I might cut the alternator up before I break any more bolts.
Thanks guys....I will repost to let everyone know how it works out. Enjoy the weekend.
dj

Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 AM
powerstoke734
New User
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I have need to change mine but that bolt is rounded off and the alt move when i pry on it so its not frozen. I need to change this!!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Those 'BoltOut' sockets you can get at Sears work well.
You could try grinding some flats on the head to use an open end wrench or cutting a slot for a big screwdriver...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
tempest411
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's possible (I have not seen this installation myself), you can try heating it with a torch and letting it cool down a few times. Sometimes that will un-fuse fasteners

Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 AM
redden68
New User
Originally Posted by tempest411
If it's possible (I have not seen this installation myself), you can try heating it with a torch and letting it cool down a few times. Sometimes that will un-fuse fasteners
To add to what Tempest said: heat with a torch til glowing, quench with liquid wrench or similar product. Repeat 4 or 5 times.