Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10 Engine shot

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 AM
trippinbillies
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10 Engine shot

I have a 2001 V10 last week coming home from work I heard a little thud then when I tried to accelerate RPM's went up but I was not moving. Toad to Ford Dealer. They said engine is gone. Two piston rods broken is what the determined. I took very good care of my truck I bought it used. Had 49,000 when I bought it 75,000 now. What could have caused this. They want $7,500 for new motor.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 11-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trippinbillies
I have a 2001 V10 last week coming home from work I heard a little thud then when I tried to accelerate RPM's went up but I was not moving. Toad to Ford Dealer. They said engine is gone. Two piston rods broken is what the determined. I took very good care of my truck I bought it used. Had 49,000 when I bought it 75,000 now. What could have caused this. They want $7,500 for new motor.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Sounds to me like you're not getting the entire story, or have things confused.
If that engine did indeed break a pair of con rods, then this would NOT have happened:
I heard a little thud then when I tried to accelerate RPM's went up but I was not moving.
JL

Old 11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
bowtied_micky
Senior User
from your description, that sounds more like a drivetrain problem. trans, tcase, diffs, something like that would be where I would start. Look at Ujoints.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:20 PM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
First of all... if your engines "gone"... you have a bigger problem, I'd go back down the road a ways and see if I could pick up its trail first...

Second, I agree with Johnny and Bowtied... if you are somewhat mechanically inclined or know someone who is i suggest you spend some time going over your truck yourself.

Third - 7500 is twice the cost of the motor... Ford doesnt need to pull the cab to extract the 6.8L from the truck... You can do this in your garage yourself or with a buddy for about 5000-5500 depending on what you have and what you have to rent and borrow. The bonus to going this route... 3yr/100,000 Mile Warranty on new (rebuilt) engine. Check out Best Rebuilt Engines.com: Rebuilt engines online I just bought a second engine from them (I do this stuff on the side for extra cash) and I have been very pleased with the service and the part quality from them.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
VALET dude
New User
How much would you charge TEAM HARD if I were to fly you here in Vegas =P

Old 11-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Mr Hanky
Junior User
Originally Posted by trippinbillies
I heard a little thud then when I tried to accelerate RPM's went up but I was not moving.
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden>
I am confused. If you heard a thud yet the engine still was capable of elevated rpm then broken rods are virtually impossible. I would look further into this but it sounds to me like center busted out of the flex plate or if major maybe a broken transmission main shaft. I would be very cautious of this diagnosis given by the dealer. Get a second opinion....Just my .02....

Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 AM
EMC V10 X
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hanky
I am confused. If you heard a thud yet the engine still was capable of elevated rpm then broken rods are virtually impossible. I would look further into this but it sounds to me like center busted out of the flex plate or if major maybe a broken transmission main shaft. I would be very cautious of this diagnosis given by the dealer. Get a second opinion....Just my .02....
Unless he left the foot in the gas to long and a rod decided to leave town....

I have seen more than one broken Tranny or Driveshaft take out a block from the sudden unloading and slow reaction from the driver.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EMC V10 X
Unless he left the foot in the gas to long and a rod decided to leave town....

I have seen more than one broken Tranny or Driveshaft take out a block from the sudden unloading and slow reaction from the driver.
The factory's rev limiters will make this nearly impossible. On vehicles that don't have any means to control the engine's max speed, yes-this is a problem, but modulars have PCM controlled rev limiters, and it's difficult to destroy the bottom end of a modular due to overrevving.
JL

Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have someone else look at it. Nothing about that adds up.

Are they wanting to do just the engine, or other parts too?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:28 AM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
Originally Posted by VALET dude
How much would you charge TEAM HARD if I were to fly you here in Vegas =P

For a trip to Vegas... and a few cases of Dos Equis

But the trouble is Im out of vacation through the end of the year.

Seriously though... trippinbillies, what did you find out about your truck?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Herb G
New User
The very same thing happen to me only my rod decided to leave town! If that happen to you, you would have seen black smoke as I did. In the middle of the mojave on a road trip to vegas! (in July at that)...

Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Remanufactured long blocks are $3000.00 online.

If the engine was turning and the drivetrain was still together the truck should have been moving. More investigation is required here.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd say your torque converter is shot. You put it in reverse or drive and the engine just revs like it's in neutral?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 AM
VALET dude
New User
Originally Posted by TEAM HARD
For a trip to Vegas... and a few cases of Dos Equis

But the trouble is Im out of vacation through the end of the year.

Seriously though... trippinbillies, what did you find out about your truck?
That would of been one hell of a deal! I would of taken you to all the clubs with MORE Dos Equis

And my truck is still sitting on my driveway

Old 11-10-2010, 03:09 PM
ZBIGBIG19TH
Elder User
So what's the rev's limit with the factory's rev's limiter.

Quick Reply: V10 Engine shot